Review Highlights
Wonderfully informative and fun

We were a group of 6 adult friends who pre booked with transport. Didn’t really know what to expect... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
MarkCultureVulture
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
via mobile
Beat Way to Experience true culture

I had a fantastic day with Jyoti! It was the perfect way to wrap up a business trip. I am a hobby... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

from $15.00
from $38.00
from $90.00
More Info
All reviews indian cooking cooking class spice market cooking experience lovely home recipe booklet chicken rogan josh mustard oil vegetarian and non vegetarian north indian cooking course delicious dishes learn how home cooking background information great introduction wealth of knowledge
Reviewed February 17, 2015

I have taken courses all over South East Asia and this by far was the worst! Where can I begin, it is not a cooking class where you interact but rather watch a lady act like a dictator rather then a cook. Don't take this class if you want to actually have hands on experience, you will spend all of your time just watching Jyoti cook.

Firstly she charges an exorbitant amount of money for you to just watch, she does not provide pick-up or drop-off service which is okay but you have to find your own way there and she does not give any adequate directions, and the cab drivers and tuk-tuks will just drop you off at the the top of the street where you will then have to wander around 500 government buildings to figure out where it is. The other section of the group was terribly late due to getting lost, so 1 hr later we started, so keep in mind even if you are on time it doesnt matter there is no schedule.

Jyoti never even asked our names till the class was over felt very unwelcomed in the house, which felt like a business rather then a home was not offered any drinks for the first 30 minutes. She had "Help" which she literally treats like slaves! screaming at them every five seconds to do or get something. the poor girl (the help) dropped hot oil on herself and all Jyoti cared about was her cleaning it up not at all if the girl was ok who by the way appeared to live in the closet of the house.

The help which i felt like were slaves did all of the cooking Jyoti just did the flashy parts, and they did the core work behind closed doors so you have no idea how to cook it actually! just popping out every now and then to show you what they did. Which is not what the cooking class should be about. Jyoti does not know how to TEACH only how to SHOW off. Her recipe book is a mess no exact measurments in it and no exact directions. Just rough guides and estimates...so when you go back to cook nothing is written out clearly but rather give or take, so when you are in the class you are trying the whole time to correct the recipe book....its not a recipe book.

She was in a rush for a dinner party and let us know she was cooking for the dinner party too with our meals...so great we are paying for your dinner party food now too.... she was in such a rush she did not even want to show us how to cook dessert and just gave us a box cookie as consolation....not impressed. If she asks you to help she tells you no you are doing it wrong instead of showing you she just pushes you out of the way to cook it herself. She seemed tired and bored of the class and disinterested in the students. She literally would ask questions twice like "where do you work" showing me that she was not paying attention at all.

I don't think we should have to pay the price for a sped up class because she had a dinner party later, if that is case then just don't run the class that day. honestly I could not handle how she treated the help like slaves, it was sad to see the class cut in this country and she shined it brightly in our faces. With comments like "well this doesn't taste as good as i want but that is what happens when you leave it up to the help" or "My mother wont eat butter or vegetables grown underground because that is for the poor" just ridiculous. Overall, I want to go to a cooking class where i learn and cook not where i watch a fraction of it being made and then have is whisked away to the back for the help to actually make it, not really knowing how it is made or a cook book that is half written so i am lost when i go to cook myself or a place that i cannot find. Worst class I have taken. Would not recommend if you are serious about learning to cook Indian food for yourself.

Date of experience: January 2015
12  Thank worldwanderer1990
JyotiAgarwal, Owner at Gourmet Desire, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2015

Hi worldwonderer1990,

I’m sorry you were disappointed with the class. I’m also shocked and sad that you came away with such negative thoughts.

To start, it is unfortunate you had trouble finding my home. In a crowded city like Delhi, it can be difficult to find a home, which is why I include my phone number on the confirmation email with a request to speak directly to your driver if he is unfamiliar with the address. As mentioned on our website, we also offer a pick-up and drop service at a small additional cost to help avoid this confusion.

I have fond memories of the class you and your mother participated in, along with another mother/daughter pair. I remember parting on a positive note with all of you - the other pair confirmed their experience was very positive in a recent review here, and you wrote such kind comments in my journal, so I’m trying to understand what went wrong that day. Making sure that my students/guests have a great experience, while learning from each other in the process, is my highest priority.

Had you voiced your dissatisfaction during the class, I would have been happy to adjust what we were doing, or even offered to schedule another class that would have better suited your expectations. If you would still like help with particular measurements or techniques from the cook book, I would love to setup a skype call to help resolve anything that is unclear.

In regard to the incident related to Sunita (the helper who was hurt with the oil) - With all due respect, I think you misunderstood the tone of the Indian language (Hindi) as rudeness. Sunita, along with my other helper, doesn't speak English and talking in Hindi is the only way we can communicate. In a situation like this one, the Hindi tone sometimes comes across with a sharpness that can easily be misunderstood as rude or harsh by an outsider. As soon as this incident occurred, I was extremely concerned and we immediately gave her medical attention. As Sunita was not seriously hurt, she wanted to continue working to make sure your experience was uninterrupted. The workers who assist me take immense pride in being part of the gourmet experience we offer and are well compensated for their efforts. Sunita in particular has worked with me for quite a long time - she is like family to me. I explained your comments to Sunita, and she was particularly offended that you compared her work environment to something resembling slavery!

Being a single woman, these classes are not only my source of livelihood but also my greatest passion. I only do one class a day so I can give my full attention to my students and guests as well as assist them with any information for their India travels, just like an old friend would. Having said that, there are certain costs associated with the class.

The classes are approximately US$ 50 per person for a group of 2-4 people. In my experience, $50 for 3-4 hours of cooking instruction, plus the four course meal, is a tremendous value. On the afternoon you came, I mentioned that I was hosting a dinner later that evening. These occasional events also help me provide for myself. I’m sorry if you felt rushed, but that evening’s event did not cut short the total duration of your visit. It did, however, provide me an opportunity to show and let you experience additional dishes outside of those included in my standard class structure.

Considering most of my students and guests get to know me through this website, it’s quite troubling to know that a review like this is posted here describing myself and the class in such a manner. I wish you had let me know your feelings at the time of our class. But as we are where we are, I’d like to make it up to you by arranging a Skype meeting to go over any questions you have related to the class and the recipes.

Warmest Regards,
Jyoti

Reviewed February 10, 2015

I had a grat time cooking with Jyoti. Cannot wait until I get home to try out some of the recipes in my own kitchen. Have signed up for second session on South Indian cuisine. Highly recommended.

Date of experience: February 2015
7  Thank MichaelOrm
Reviewed February 9, 2015 via mobile

Cooking with Jyoti is a joy - she makes indian cooking accessible for everyone and gives great practical advice. I highly recommend her - you will have a fun and educational experience, not to mention a yummy dinner. It's great to talk to a local and she is really really helpful and can advise you on your Delhi travels. Don't miss her while you're in Delhi!

Reviewed February 7, 2015

A friend and I booked an evening class and dinner with Jyoti using the booking group "Travelling Spoon".
Jyoti had arranged for transportation from the airport, then hotel, then her house and back, which was really helpful to have done in advance.
The evening started with an education about Indian food and culture, which was nice because this was the beginning of a 3 week trip, and the information I learned was useful on a regular basis.
We started by making some batter for pakoras, got some kheer going, and watched as some main dishes were put together. Later we watched rotis puff up to go with our food.
It was overall, a great experience, though the food was much too salty for our tastes - we were starving and getting so excited, but then the salt almost ruined it for us. Oh well, I would still highly recommend the experience, and the kheer we created was the best I ever had!

Date of experience: November 2014
Reviewed January 27, 2015

After a long day touring, we had forgotten that A&K had arranged an "authentic" dinner with an Indian family. We went reluctantly only to discover the host was charming, as was her son, the food was extraordinary, and the setting was ,in fact, a middle-class dwelling.It wa a great evening and an experience I would encourage for other travelers.
Much of our India experience was limited to interactions with our guides,hotel employees, and shopkeepers. This moves you outside the "bubble."

Date of experience: December 2014