“Room served its purpose but no more.”

Holiday Inn Express New Delhi International Airport Terminal 3
Ranked #20 of 925 Specialty Lodging in New Delhi
Perth, Australia
“Room served its purpose but no more.”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Beds were comfortable and the shower was hot, and after 2 long flights both were needed. We booked for 5 hours as we had 7 hours before our next flight, (we were transferring from International to Domestic terminal). We were met and escorted through baggage and passport checks which was great as we would never have found it on our own.
We thought it was expensive, but as we did not have time to leave the airport we went ahead with the booking - glad that I had a copy of the emailed agreed price, as we were asked for more on arrival. Biggest drawback was that the one glass wall in hotel room looked straight onto the airport concourse and all announcements could be clearly heard - if I ever stayed again I would make sure that I was not in a room that overlooked the check in counters as it was very noisy. I was told we should have asked for a room number up to 124 to avoid this happening.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Perth
Reviewed May 7, 2013

As others have said, it's very difficult to find. I found out later that someone from the hotel was supposed to meet me at the baggage claim. It didn't happen. After a bit of an adventure and a lot of waiting I eventually was led to the place. Really the only good thing about the hotel is that it is right in the airport. Service was indifferent to non-existent. No outside windows, zero atmosphere. A place to sleep and that's about it. If you are staying in New Delhi for any length of time, it's best avoided. And even think twice if you are just staying the night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Bangalore
Reviewed May 3, 2013

If both your arrival flight and departure flight is at T3 Delhi Airport, this is a good option, otherwise you would be better off staying at any other hotel near the airport. We stayed at the Eaton for 1 night - we landed at 7:00 pm and took the early morning 5:45 am. The check-in process is easy IF there is a hotel employee to meet you at the flight arrival gate. For us, there was no Eaton employee who met us, but he did meet us at the Security entrance to the Hotel. Beware that once you enter the airport, you are not allowed to leave the airport. There are multiple levels of security checks which could be a nightmare if there is no hotel employee to assist you. Once inside, the room is neat and clean. Beware that in-house dining is very expensive (Rs. 500 for a sandwich!!). But, what we did was move to the check-in area of T3 and they have some options (sandwiches, biryani rice, kathi rolls, parathas, coffee, donuts, etc) at more reasonable rates, but there no branded restaurants or eating joints (McD/KFC/Pizza Hut/Subway/etc)

The good thing was we could get up late for our morning flight and just walk over to the security check area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 30, 2013

If you have a long layover in Delhi and want a safe, comfortable place to sleep and recharge, this is the place to go. I landed from my international flight at 11pm and had a connecting domestic flight at 6am the next morning. Because I had booked in advance, somebody from the hotel was able to meet me right at my flight and escort me through immigration and up to the hotel. As others have commented, getting up to the hotel is a bit of a maze and not worth trying to do on your own. So definitely book in advance and provide your flight details so they can provide an escort. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom had your usual amenities. The restaurant is a safe place to grab a bite, but honestly, you'll probably be so tired you'll just want to sleep. Although you can find a cheaper hotel if you leave the airport, the hassle of going back and forth when you're so exhausted is just not worth it (I've done this several times but never again now that I've found Eaton Smart). As others have mentioned, they seem to be a bit spotty on the wake up call so definitely set your own alarm. At the end of my stay, I was escorted back down to the check-in area for my connecting flight.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Bangalore
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Let me first start with the positive. We found the beds to be very comfortable (I cannot say the same for the pillows). For that reason, and the limitations of the rating system, I give Eaton Smart Hotel one star.

Despite this hotel being inside the airport, no one at the airport seems to be aware of its existence, how to get there, or who is allowed in. When we arrived in Delhi, we inquired about the Eaton hotel at the T1 Arrivals Information desk. We had not booked in advance because we were apprehensive about the fact that we would be arriving at the airport on a domestic flight, and departing the airport on an international flight (we were correct to be apprehensive). The information desk suggested we book the hotel at the Make My Trip counter directly outside the T1 Baggage Claim, and then take the airport shuttle to T3. The gentleman at the Make My Trip counter had not heard of the Eaton Smart Hotel. After several minutes of assuring him it existed, we were able to book at the overpriced rate of 12,000 rupees for one night.

When we got off the shuttle at T3, we showed our booking and flight details to an airport employee at the elevator, inquiring which floor we needed to access the hotel. He told us that since we had exited the airport, there was no way for us to access Eaton Hotel (this directly contradicts what the gentleman at the T1 information desk told us). Disregarding this information as we had already paid for the night (again at the prompt of the T1 information desk), we proceeded to the T3 Departures gates. An armed guard told us we needed to access the hotel by the Visitor Entry. We went through two additional checkpoints to get into the Visitor Entry area. Once we had entered, we were told by another armed guard that we would not be able to go to our hotel until 3 hours before our flight departed.

We tried to explain to him that we had already paid for a night in the hotel, had spoken with the T1 information desk, and had already spoken to at least four airport security personnel within T3. We tried to show him our incoming flight ticket, airport shuttle ticket, hotel confirmation and receipt, and our outbound E-Ticket for the following morning. The guard still shook his head and waved us away. We asked him why there was a hotel in the airport if no one could access it until three hours before departure. He neglected to answer.

Thankfully, several minutes later an Eaton employee was down in the Visitors Lounge and we were able to plead our case. After another 10-15 minutes at a security screen on the main floor, we were allowed to be escorted to the Eaton Check-in on the 5th Floor. After getting off the elevator, we were forced to go through another security screen.

From there, it took twenty minutes for five employees to complete our check-in. No one seemed to have any clue how a hotel worked, or how to do their job. Three fellow travelers were making futile attempts to understand the hotel’s baggage policy. This policy is not made clear on the website, and I’m still unsure what it is, even though I witnessed the same scene the next morning at check-out. It appeared hotel that the staff told travelers only hand luggage would be allowed in the hotel (which doesn’t make any sense for overnight travelers at a hotel in an international airport terminal).

We asked an Eaton employee if we had done something wrong or if there was something we could have done differently with the booking to prevent the hour and half debacle that was our check-in. He said that no, we had done everything we needed to do. His only explanation was that the airport security doesn’t read English well and didn’t know about the hotel. This is unacceptable given that going through security is a necessary step in accessing the hotel.

It was only later that we learned from another traveler suffering Eaton that he was directed to call ahead to ensure that an Eaton employee would greet him in the Visitor Lounge. Again, this was not made clear at any point on the website, at the airport information desks, at the Make My Trip service desk, on our confirmed Hotel Booking, or at the numerous security checkpoints. No one seems to know what an airport hotel is.

My bag had been zip-tied before our incoming flight. I asked the front desk to help me get it open; I requested to borrow scissors. They could not find any scissors and came back with toenail clippers, attempting to pry open the zip tie. When he could not open it, he told me to go to my room and someone would come to help me in “some time”. I asked him to just use the toenail clipper to snip it open, and he again told me to go to my room. It was past midnight and I was beyond tired. After asking a few more times, another employee got sick of my prodding and came over and clipped it himself. This is truly a testament to the terrible customer service.

The fun continued right up until the end, when we spent twenty minutes at the check-out counter at 5:30 am. There were no other guests ahead of us, apparently this is just the amount of time it takes to print a sheet of paper for someone to sign. Once we had checked out, we had to go through ANOTHER security checkpoint, showing our E-Ticket to our escort. Even if we hadn’t already been through ten checkpoints 6 hours earlier, there is no need for a security screen post-checkout. Any potential risk had passed.

We fully understand the need for heightened security measures at an international airport and its attached hotel, but what we experienced was not thorough security. It was inefficient, redundant, and incompetent.

The room provided no functioning TV, WiFi, or breakfast, but compensates by leaving a stray hair on your pillow. Once we were at the airport, it took us two hours to get access to the Eaton. Once we got access, of the six hours we spent there one hour was spent at the front desk. Given the lack of amenities, complete hassle accessing the hotel, terrible customer service and the expensive price tag, your dollars would be better spent pretty much anywhere else. This is especially true considering there is a plethora of hotels just across from the airport providing cheaper, more convenient options for just a short cab ride.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank sarahtysk

Travelers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

Washington, D.C.
Reviewed April 17, 2013

First and foremost, this is not a place you'd wish to spend 24 or 48 hours. That being said, for those of us arriving on a very late flight with an early connection, it is truly an efficient experience and allows some rest between the chaos that is Delhi's airport.
I arrived on the Swiss flight at approximately 1:30am (hours delayed due to weather). The gentleman from the hotel met me as I neared the transit desk. With that, he took my passport, had me take a seat and took care of the transfer paperwork. Soon thereafter I was led through transit security and marveled when I came into the "duty free" section of the airport. Within 45 minutes of arrival on the Swiss flight I was in a very comfortable bed sleeping for four hours before my flight to Kathmandu. Rooms are small of course, but I had two carry-on bags and it all fit just fine. Bathroom had normal assortment of toiletries and two bottles of water. Fortunately the iPhone is always set for all time zones I encounter. If you have four or more hours, I'd recommend this as an option. A word of caution: set an alarm, as others have noted, those wake up calls aren't as reliable as one would hope. Secondly, to leave the hotel you must go through the security point specifically set up for the hotel (still unsure of why, but they didn't appear to like my questions - so I smiled and did it). Give yourself a few minutes extra time to get through the screening.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Suppose you arrive in Delhi on a domestic flight in late afternoon/early evening and your international flight doesn't leave till 3:00 am? What to do? Help is really at hand here in the International departure building itself: halfway decent restaurant open 24 hours. Cool, modern, ultra clean bathrooms and showers, ditto Bedrooms on short term hire. Just perfect. We encountered only two downsides: we had to persuade the goons to let us into international departures so many hours before our flight check-in opens, and then we had to find the entrance to the hotel -- tip: it's down the far end past all the check-in desks, on the right. But it seems that if you book in advance, the hotel can meet you off your domestic flight and escort you to the hotel? Anyway, it real saved us old folks a long debilitating wait in airport land. And by the way, if you're travelling business class on BA, don't even think of using their lounge. It's awful. The Eaton Smart does it much, much better.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple