“Would stay elsewhere.”

FabHotel Suncourt Karol Bagh
Ranked #123 of 715 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I stayed here while part of a 9 person Intrepid Tour. We stayed one night at the beginning and one night at the end of the tour. It appeared to me that Intrepid basically keeps this hotel in business with its many small tour groups that frequent it.

The hotel rooms appeared as pictured. In general, I found my room to be clean and functional. (though, no top sheet, which DOESNT feel clean.) I feel that it is inconveniently located of tourists. The hotel is within walking distance to a market...that is really of no interest to most tourist (think of super cheap and tacky looking dime store clothes and shoes). No restaurants that I would recommend nearby either. Mostly, lots of itty bitty tiny kiosks nearby selling basic sundries.

I don't like feeling like I'm being taken advantage of...and this hotel made me feel that way. I would recommend avoiding them for taxi calling and recommendations. They tack on a significant extra amount (650 rupees instead of the 385 I paid from the airport.). Plus, in getting a taxi to the Red Fort, against my better judgement and voiced opinion, they insisted that we pay the 750 rupee cost and have the taxi take us there, wait for us and bring us back.. Bad choice. Much much better to take one cab there that can drop you at the front gate and a different cab back (easy to get...everywhere!) that you can return from at the main gate. We were short on time and spent an additional solid 50 minutes time and energy walking to and from the Red Fort entrance to the parking lot where our taxi was waiting for us.

I personally did not eat at the restaurant, but the tour members that did avoided it after one meal.

Room Tip: Upper floors are more quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank sfcitygirl
akt1957, Owner at FabHotel Suncourt Karol Bagh, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Hello Sfcitygirl California.
first of all i will like to thank you for your reveiws. before giving my reply i will like to apologise for inconvinience you had to face in our hotel. you have complained about the location. our hotel is located in karolbagh which is almost in centre of new delhi city. it is easily approachable from airport & railway stn & bus stand. it is just 3km from connaught place. metro stn & market is nearby.
your second complaint is that there is no restaurant nearby. i will like to mention there are numerous resturants & fast food outlets of various international brands in karolbagh market which is at a walkable distance. a 5 star hotel namely siddhartha is just 1.5 or max 2 km from our hotel. a famous restaurant namely alfa spice by nature is just nearby.
your next complaint is regarding taxi charges. u paid only 385 while coming from airport & they charged u 650. i will enquire about it. i will like to mention something about taxi in delhi. pls do not think that i am taking side of my staff. while coming from airport u got a taxi from pre paid counter. these are non ac taxi. the taxi rate also increases if u r travelling at night. further while going to airport taxi charges more because they have to come back empty. they r not allowed to pick passengers from airport.
your next complaint is about charging 750 for going to red fort waiting there & back. u urself have given right idea that one should take one way taxi as u need not pay waiting charges. i will surely tell my staff to guide customers & tell them both options in future.
lastly ur freinds complaint regarding food i have taken it very seriously. i have instructed my cook to take special care while cooking for foreigners. he should use less oil & food shold not be spicy. i have also told the stewards to ask guest what kind of food he will prefer.
i once again apologise for the inconvinience u faced at our hotel.
i am very thankful for ur reveiws.
we get to know our mistakes & try to remove them.
i am sorry to reply late as i came to know about this facility that we can reply to our guest on tripadvisor just yesterday.in future i promise to give u or any of ur freind coming to delhi a very good service & a family atmosphere. not only u but i will give special attention to every guest in future.
i wish u all the best in ur life. may god bless u . you may acheive every thing in ur life that u desire.
thank you once again. see u soon

Reviewed December 15, 2011

Booked 3 rooms for 3 nights based on past reviews and pretty hotel pictures. Boy, was I deceived.

The floor in room felt dusty, bed sheet was dirty with very visible blue stains on the duvet and this was not changed despite my request. Their whole-day Wi-fi which cost us Rs100/- per day, did not work most of the time unless you go to some spots like the restaurant in the basement! Worst of all, on my 2nd night there, an unwanted FURRY RODENT made its way into my room! I am quite sure that was not the first incident of unwanted guests in the hotel room because when I complained to Mr. Raj, the man at the reception, there was no protest or denials on his part; he just accepted it and his men were mobilised very quickly and knew exactly what to do to catch the rat. Of course I demanded a change of room to the upper floors (we were originally on the lowest floor) but despite the change, I could not sleep for the night.

The next day, we got the Hotel to arrange 2 taxis for us to get to the airport and Mr Raj charged us Rs. 600/- per taxi despite our protests cos we came from the airport using Meru cab and it cost only Rs 480/-. Despite knowing that there were 8 of us with luggage etc, he got 2 small, dirty taxis with no room for our luggage so we had to put the luggage on top of the taxis. The cab driver told us Mr. Raj pays him only Rs.400/- per cab which means that Mr. Raj pocketed 50% of the cab fare! And as the cab was driving off, Mr. Raj still got the cheek to tap on my window and tell me not to write about my bad experience at the Hotel.

And beware of cheaters amongst the staff. My husband and I wanted to buy SIM card and were brought by one of them to a small phone shop where we were charged Rs.200/- for photos and Rs.500/- per SIM card loaded only with Rs.80/- of talktime. All the negotiations were done by the hotel staff because the phone-shop guy did not speak to us in English. When we questioned about the remaining Rs. 420/-, the hotel staff said it was for turn-on fee which Vodafone charges. We wanted to use the card for our onward trip to Agra and Srinagar and the hotel staff told us that that would not be a problem and roaming was already included. Guess what, we couldn't use the SIM card in Srinagar! Worse still, we found out from a sundry shop near the hotel who also provides SIM card services, that for Rs.500/- we should actually be getting at least Rs. 350/- worth of talktime, and some 10 Gig or so of data usage. The honest shopkeeper told us that we were cheated, plain and simple. When we confronted the hotel staff about this, he was quick to say it was the phone-shop guy who did this but he will try to talk to the phone-shop guy to up our talktime. In less than half an hour, I received a notification that my talk-time has been topped up by Rs.270/-. Of course, I am not sure who was trying to cheat us, the phone-shop guy or the hotel staff, but That hotel staff was not seen again for the rest of our stay there. Suspicious, yes? So be very careful when getting 'help' from hotel staff there.

India is incredibly beautiful but my experience at this Hotel and the staff there leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank agzar0505
akt1957, Owner at FabHotel Suncourt Karol Bagh, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

Hi Agzar0505 Singapore. I have read ur reveiw about my hotel. I am very sorry for the problems u had to face in the hotel. Thanks for ur reveiws. I have enquired about all the instanances that u have mentioned.
u said rooms floor was dusty,bed sheet was dirty. Our linen is washed in laundry. Some times they do not do their job properly. But when ever we get complaint we change the sheets immediately. In ur case they did not do it. iam very sorry for that. When i asked the staff, they said that they went to ur room, they pressed the bell, there was no answer, they assumed u were sleeping. However i still beleive that customer is always right.
about the fioor, we have wooden flooring in all rooms. The floor is cleaned & mopped every day. The weather of Delhi is very dusty. I know in Singapore u do not have this dust problem. Still we will be more careful in future & clean floors twice a day.
When ever there is a problem in the room & guest complains about it,we have given strict instructions to our staff that in any case do not argue with the guest. Just do what the guest says & rectify the problem as soon as u can. So if the man at reception did not protest or deny, it does not mean that it happens always. This was

first time that we got such a complaint.
Regarding taxi rates i must admit that taxi rates from airport is always cheaper. If u take a taxi from city to airport in delhi they charge u more because they have to come back empty. They r not allowed to pick passangers from airport. Regarding taxi driver i am unable to understand why he told u about less rate. may be they want to gain sympathy. They r on monthly salary,They do not own the cab.
Regarding ur complaint that u could not use ur sim card in Srinagar kashmir. It is not anybodys fault. Actually in whole of kashmir cash cards do not work. i also have a cash card & it does not work whenever i go to Jammu & Kashmir.
After ur complaint regarding wi-fi we have installed better modems. I have also made wi-fi facility free for guests.
About ur complaint regarding less talk time in ur sim i enquired from the phone shop & my staff. The phone shop owner told me that it was his fault. When he got to know from our staff he rectified his mistake.
I also enquired from staff why they were hiding from the guest. The particular staff went on leave the very next day. That is why u did not see that particular person again.
i apologise once again and hope that u will forgive us. Ur reveiws helped us a lot. we have instructed our staff not to talk on behalf of the guest in market & let the customer handle everything.
I & all my staff wish u the best in ur life. Thanks once again

Reviewed November 29, 2011

We expected the dodgy location and the room size and bathroom was all fine. But they refused to let my Indian fiance stay in same room with me because they believed every Indian girl with a foreigner was a prostitute. Absolutely ruined a good holiday. Just to be clear there was nothing wrong with how she dressed or how she behaved. It was absolutely unnecessary. They would only let us stay if we paid for another room and had one person in each. They said it was a rule that no Indian woman could stay with a foreigner in their hotel.

We were also placed right outside reception when there were rooms available further away. Here, we had to put up with noise of people coming and going. We believe this was so they could keep an eye on us to make sure we didn't try to get into the same room (which we did). Every time we shut the door they would knock to ask for something as trivial as "do you like the room". They wouldn't stop knocking until we asked them to. Food was also not up to par and overpriced.

There were salesman walking around outside our window from very early in the morning shouting out kabaadi at the top of their lungs (scrap and rubbish dealer). Not the hotels fault they were there but I cant help thinking that it would be alot quieter if we were on a higher floor.

On top of all of this, the staff would not talk in English to me as my fiancee speaks Hindi. This was just plain rude and it stopped me from arguing with them about all these issues. They must have thought it would be easier to push a woman around, especially an Indian woman. After many conversations they had with her, she would tell me they harassed her and talked very cheaply to her.

The day we checked out, we met the manager of the hotel. He was much more pleasant and polite, was willing to listen to us and would sit and chat about what to do in Delhi. I believe this man is the reason so many good reviews were posted here. However, it was too late for us. We wont be staying here again.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
10  Thank chaipakoda
akt1957, Owner at FabHotel Suncourt Karol Bagh, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Greetings from Hotel Suncourt Corporate
We are thankful to you for writing a review of our hotel.
It is only the pleasure of pleasing our customers that keeps us going BUT we are sorry to know that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel.
You liked the clean rooms,& bathrooms. but found food expensive.Our rates are very reasonable if you compare with the restaurants near by.
You also said staff did not let your fiancee stay with you. That is very true . We have instructions from the local police that no indian girl will be allowed to stay with a foreigner unless they are husband & wife. We have to follow the rules.
You have also said that staff harassed the girl & talked cheaply with her.This is not true. We do not know what she said to you BUT she was adamant to stay in your room which was firmly refused.by the staff.
There have been instances where there have been complaints by girls that they have been cheated or something like etc. etc. which is not good to elaborate here. In such cases all the fault is leveled against hotel staff & management.
We gave 2 separate rooms not because to get extra room rent but to follow guide lines. We have lot of satisfied customers . We had to shift some other customer to accomodate you.
We will do our best to provide good service BUT we will have to obey the law.

Regards,
Hotel Management. ASHOK TANEJA +91 9810104774

Reviewed November 21, 2011

Was in Delhi with my family of 9 a few days ago.

This is a small yet good hotel. Its very reasonably priced and the rooms are clean and new. No regrets about booking the hotel.

Special mention has to go to the hotel front desk manager Mr Raj, who was very helpfull and accomodating. He had a good listening ear and was willing to help always.

Only issue was the food. It was nice but takes about 45 mins to arrive after ordering on 2 nights. This should be improved upon.

Room Tip: The double bed rooms are bigger than twin rooms
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank manhattancard3
akt1957, Owner at FabHotel Suncourt Karol Bagh, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Reviewed August 30, 2011

This is a great little hotel for Delhi. Modern and clean, it is close to the convenient Karol Bagh station and tucked down a quiet side street. The service we had here was very good, and staff go out of their way to be helpful.

The breakfasts are a little disappointing but then the hotel is good value and you can't have everything for your money - especially in Delhi, which is damn expensive as a city to stay in.

This place is great value and a great little place to stay. Would recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Steve D

Reviewed August 15, 2011

Only stayed here for one night as we were upgraded to the sister hotel around the corner for our last night. Both hotels had nice friendly staff, comfortable beds and a good breakfast.The location was ideal for both airport and city

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank valgardening

Reviewed June 30, 2011

i stayed in this lovely hotel this month and thoroughly enjoyed my stay here, the staff was very curtious and polite, there was ample parking space which is a major problem in delhi. Actually i stayed here by chance as i was in delhi for a meeting. The best part about my stay was the lovely decor and comfy beds.
I am surely staying here whenever i am in delhi next.

Room Tip: double bedded rooms are more spacious
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business