“Nice week day lunch special sets....”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Olive Beach - CLOSED

Olive Beach
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
New Delhi, India
“Nice week day lunch special sets....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

I was there a couple of weeks back with a few of my girlfriends. While I've been to Olive Mehrauli several times, this was our first at Diplomat Hotel.

It's much smaller but much more convenient for those living in South Delhi. The restaurant has tried to keep to a similar environment as at Mehrauli but on a much smaller scales.

The week-day lunch set was quite well-priced at Rs599++ for two courses and Rs899++ for four courses. We had the two-course and the portions were big i.e. they were regular lunch portions. We couldn't finish and actually packed up half a pizza to take home.

Service was actually pretty good. The waiter was attentive albeit sometimes forgetful but that was typical of service in Delhi.

We liked it well enough that we're actually holding a farewell party there on Thursday.

• Visited May 2012

Bangalore
“Very average and very insipid”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

I visited this restaurant with one of my friends who is a Greek and he was advised by his friend in the Greek embassy to go this place for an afternoon lunch. We were there on 9/5/12 around 4 pm and virtually we were only there at the restaurant at that point of time. This restaurant is located inside the hotel called Hotel Diplomat which used to be a dingy, shady and sort of an eye sore kind of place for so many years in the Sardar Patel Road in the Diplomatic Enclave of New Delhi's poshest area! Sometime in 2007, I went with my brother to have a drink at this hotel and it was just a watering hole and the upkeep of the hotel has nothing to write about it!

So, I was not thrilled when my friend suggested to go there inspite of several options available in this area.. Anyhow, I was pleasantly surprised to see the new decor of the restaurant with bamboo furnitures which projected a very relaxed, laid back style look! We took our own table as there was no one at that point of time. We ordered our drinks, starters ( garlic bread and corona beer) and the main course in one go. It took some time for the waiter to bring the Garlic bread which was quite hard and made with the French Bread ( not like the soft ones you get in Pizza huts). For the main course, I ordered a vegetarian Tapas ( which is not accompanied by the bread and the garlic bread was a seperate order!) and my friend selected a penne pasta item.

After spending a good amount of time with our Corona and the hard Garlic Bread, the main course took some time to show up at our table! The tapas potion was really very small and as I am not very familair with this kind of European food, I cannot say whether it was the right size! But the garlic bread's portion was very big with six pieces! The coffee ( Americano in an Italian restaurant! ) was really good!

Overall, the service was very ordinary and the food was just Ok and therefore, I was not very thrilled so as my Greek friend about the food. May be, I will go with my wife one of the days in the busy evening times just to see the crowd!

There are far too many Italian restaurants in New Delhi than Florence and therefore, one should be well informed which one to visit. I can say, not this one for Food!

• Visited May 2012
New Delhi,India
“Falling standards ?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

I have been to this restaurant and its usually been good , though not a patch on the main Olive near the Qutub, Mehrauli . This time the ambience was still good but there it ended. The waiter did not show the bottle of wine when pouring the glass , the Pizza was too cheesy and the gazpacho not good

Visited May 2012
UK
“Avoid this like the plague!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

visited with friends, this was my third visit to the Beach, love the Olive Qutab, however I had previously found this branch of Olive to be OK, this time it was very bad indeed, OK starter s were nice but service very slow, had to ask for menus and despite the early evening the staff were less than attentive. The waiter really seemed to have no interest in his work, and as always in Indian restaurants it is the service that badly lets them down. They pay low wages, provide no training and no wonder no one cares...... The main course came and my friend and I had opted for the seafood paella, which was so salty it tasted not of the sea but as the sea! Despite being hungry and it being an otherwise passable version of the famous Spanish peasant dish we gave up and called the waiter, who was pretty unhelpful and said that we couldn't complain as we had eaten some of it, great customer service, we calls the manager who was equally unhelpful and finally took the food back to the kitchen. Nothing more was heard for about 10 minutes so we called the manager over again, he said the chef had used his stock without stirring it firs and therefore it was salty. No apology and no visit from the chef to apologise or explain. Thie manager had no idea how to handle the situTion and made no attempt to placate us or to offer any solution. He has ensured that we will never go back, hope they can afford to lose customers.... Never never again. The service at Olive Qutub is not much better but the food is always good. A small investment in training would pay dividends. My freind also wrote a review but it's posted under Olive Bar and Kitchen instead of the Beach. See gontroppesrilanka review.

• Visited March 2012
Heemstede, The Netherlands
“Lovely place in Delhi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

Olive is part of small group of restaurants in India. This specific branch Olive Beach is situated in the Dilpomat Hotel and has a lovely garden. Great for outdoor dining. I specially like the thin pizza's but sofar have likednmost dishes on the Mediterrean menu. Nice staff, good winelist. But obviously also a bit pricy - read European standards - for India. But definetely one of the better European restaurants in Delhi and surely one of the nicest ones. Allthough the Mehrauli Olive restaurant is also really nice with beautiful outdoor seating as well.