“A bit expensive for what it is”

Mystique Moments B&B
Ranked #144 of 1,095 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“A bit expensive for what it is”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed there for 3 nights on my very first visit to India. I didn't really know what to expect in terms of prices vs quality. Now, after a few weeks around, I realize that the room was not very good value for money. The room was humid and windowless. It was rather dirty, especially the bathroom. Breakfast was average. I had the continental version which consist of toast with butter and jam and a hard boiled egg. I should have asked for the Indian breakfast, I am sure it would have been nicer.
The hotel is quite far from Delhi center (40-45min by metro). It is a good and a not so good thing. Good because the area isn't touristy and therefore you don't get harassed in the street by everyone trying to sell you something. Not so good because it takes a while to commute to the sights. However the metro is a very effective way to move around Delhi and it is very cheap. The first car of each train is "Women Only", which is quite nice to avoid the unwanted attention from men.
The owner of the place is very helpful and will book train tickets online for you against a small charge fee. He has very good knowledge of India and can help you organize your travels if you need.
I pre-booked a car to get there as my plane landed around 1am. I am very glad I did. The driver was waiting where I was told he would be and took me directly to the hotel for just under 800 rupees. At the time I thought it was a bit expensive but after hearing stories of people being told that their hotel had closed by taxi driver and taken to unscrupulous travel agencies who then charged them ridiculous amount of money for tours, it was money well spent.
All in all, it is not a bad place, But I am sure I can find better value for money elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
manu, Owner at Mystique Moments B&B, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Hi,
Thanks for staying with us and thanks for the review. Please allow me to clarify a few points that you have raised. First of all the prices. It is unfair to compare the prices in different cities . The prices in smaller cities like Jaipur, Jodhpur etc are much less than in Delhi. The prices are linked to the cost of living, cost of construction, maintainance of real estate and wages in general. When compared to other properties in Delhi in other residential colonies, our prices are the cheapest.
Regarding breakfast, along the items you mentioned, we also serve fruits and cookies alomg with choice of bread, white and brown, choice of at least two varieties of Jams, Indian Masala Tea and Coffee. Actually , we arrived at this menu after feedback from around two thousand guests from western countries. They all appreciated a western breakfast as iun most Indian extablishments in different cities, there is only Indian b reakfast available in the form of Aloo paratha ( Potato stuffed Pancakes). The Indian breakfast contains lots of fats as it is fried and lots of condiments and chilies which do not go well with the western tummies. We do have Indian breakfast on demand and you only have to tell us your preference.
Delhi is a very big city and all the monuments and historical places are spread apart and it takes minimum of 30-40 minutes to reach anywhere. We are located near the old Delhi sites like Red Fort, Jama Masjid, Chandni Chowk and a bit away from the Qutab Minar, Lotus Temple etc. Ifd one stays in south Delhi, one needs 40 minutes to reach north delhi sites of Old Delhi.
However , I am sorry that you had some inconvenience. I wish you had talked to me , I could have changed your room, given you breakfast of your choice. These are small things and can be easily taken care of . I request all readers of this review and my future guests and friends to please be more communicative and let me know if you would like anything more, I would be more than happy to help. On many occassions we have served Indian special dishes to our guests who asked us for them and we have never charged extra for any of those. Many times we came to know that a guest has a birthday or anniversary, we make sure to have a cake for them and join in celebrating those occassions with them. On Diwali and Holi every year we cook Indian dinner for all guests and celebrate with them.
I request you that on your travels , anywhere in the world, if you are staying at a homestead, please be more frank and forthcoming and tell the people there about your preferences and all property owners will be happyh to help.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
utrecht
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Very friendly owner and family. Dorm is a bit hot and cramped but the helpfulness of Dr Malik makes up for it. He arranged my bus trip to manali, gave advice about places to eat in the neighborhood.

It's a short bicycle riksha trip from the metro. It's a long way to the airport, but fortunately airport shuttle at reasonable cost is offered. All in all a positive experience.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
manu, Owner at Mystique Moments B&B, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you sir. For me, it is a pleasure sharing my travel experiences with my guests. I have travelled far and wide in India and am still travelling whenever I get a chance. India is very different fromn Europe or US and the western traveller gets a culture shock the moment he lands in India. I try and make the experience a bit less shocking and pleasant for my guests.
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed November 27, 2013

It is a perfect and most safe place to stay in Delhi. For people who like value for money with no disturbance and good rest while travelling, this is a wonderful place. Moreover Malik sir is always ready to help and make arrangements. It has a good location as there are good restaurants near by. However, it is little 10-15 minutes far from metro stations, but the fact that it is a trust worthy place, we can forgo such things. Overall i would rate this place excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Vikhyat O
manu, Owner at Mystique Moments B&B, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Thank you sir. We at Mystique Moments try to serve you in the best ways possible. We look forward to your next visit.
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed August 16, 2013

The hostel is a great place to start an India trip. The hostel building itself is average, but it is clean and breakfast is hearty with great Indian chai. The location is great, I really loved it. Its located in a neighberhood so its not very touristy at all, you are really in a neigberhood with Indians. Its a unique experience. Be sure to try Pickwick and Chawla's Chicken for neighberhood eats, they're great! What makes this place truly special is Dr. Malik and his staff. He has traveled extensively in India and will give great advice for planning travels based on your desires and budget. I have never found anyone as helpful as Dr. Malik in any hostel in the 20+ countries I've traveled. If you are going to Delhi and looking to stay in a hostel Mystique Moments is an absolute must.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Wery quite place, so far from crowded main bazaar, its very good. Nice and clean room, free Wi-fi, wery friendly owners dr Malik and his wife. Continental breakfast included. Its all according to twin and single rooms.

• Stayed January 2013
seoul
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I showed up to India without accommodations, train tickets, or any plan on where to go. After spending my first two days in Delhi at a random hotel, my trip was looking very bleak. Luckily, I made a move and switched to Mystique Moments. After getting out of central Delhi where I was swarmed by Indian people trying to scam me, I left for a quieter neighborhood and it was the best decision that I had made all trip. After arriving there, Dr. Malik helped me with everything from sightseeing attractions to train tickets. He was truly the savior of my travels in India, without him, my experience was destined for failure. For any backpackers flying into Delhi, I would like to highly recommend that you make this the very first stop on your itinerary. Talking to Dr. Malik will save you a lot of headaches that other hotels wont help you with. In a land where everyone sees you as nothing more than $$$, Dr. Malik is the one person that you can truely trust and I couldn't thank him more for all his help.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank james r
manu, Owner at Mystique Moments B&B, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thanks for the review sir. It gives me pleasure to plan a trip in India for my friends. Once you step into Mystique Moments, you are my friend for life. Wish you all the best for your future travels
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 26, 2013

An easy highlight of my recent trip to Delhi was my stay at Mystique Moments hostel. Tucked away in a residential and commercial enclave a short 20 minute train ride from the central city, you are far from the scammers and tourist hustlers that Delhi is notorious for. The hostel is quiet, clean, and affordable. It is run by Dr. Malik, a retired doctor who has only his visitors' best interests at heart.

The place is quite minimalist, but very welcoming and consistent. An added bonus of the place is Dr. Malik himself, as he is humble yet very informative and extremely helpful. His philosophy is 'if I don't know the answer, I will make sure I get it'. He was an extremely helpful resource for me as a solo traveler.

Expect to be treated as visiting friends or family at Mystique Moments.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo