“Safe but way too far out”

Mystique Moments B&B
Ranked #144 of 1,095 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Safe but way too far out”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

This B&B was pretty average. It's location is a bit too far from the city and you can feel a bit stuck in the middle of nowhere. Although the room was a bit shoddy, it was clean. Wifi was spasmodic and often dropped out. I personally found it too expensive for what it was and the owner a bit creepy. If your passing through Delhi then it's ok but I would not recommend it for longer than a night.

Room Tip: Check your location properly. Delhi can be a bit deceiving. When staying here, don't trip over...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
manu, Owner at Mystique Moments B&B, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Creepy ? ?? Hmmmm. Its a new experience for me. In two years of running the hostel, I have hosted more than 1500 backpackers and almost all have appreciated my help and travel tips learnt out of my extensive travels, a few have penned that too in the previous reviews on Trip Advisor as well as all major Hostel booking sites.In my 35 years career as a Doctor, I had a few hundred thousand satisfied and happy patients.
I must have done something real bad to earn this adjective from you. I apologise profusely for any act of mine that made you say so. As you stayed here just for one night and I hardly had the time to talk to you, I wonder when did you make this opinion.
Anyway, once again I request you to please accept my apologies.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I'm an experienced female solo traveler but first time in India.

What I like about Mystique Moment (MM) is that the hostel is away from all the typical tourist traps. MM is in Pitampura district of Delhi, where real Indian middle class lives, unlike the artificial environment surrounding New Delhi Rail Station. You wll see kids going to school, old folks strolling in the park, vendors and shoppers with no beggars anywhere to bee seen. And if you are lucky, like I was, you might get to see religious festivals with men and women dressed in traditional costume in parading floats and lighting up firecrackers and fireworks right outside of hostel doorsteps.

The hostel is run by Dr. Malik and his wife, who are both fluent in English. Dr. Malike was able to provide me with the kind of booking/concierage service that one typically only find with AMEX Gold. Dr. Malik helped me navigating the intricacies of Indian Rail system and booked and mapped out my next 2 months of itinerary. Indian train tickets have high demand but extremely low supply. For someone who is unfamiliar with Indain system, this was truly god send.

Above all, what I shall miss my breakfast chat with Dr. Malik, where he gave me glimpses of how Indian system and culture work. Each morning is like a review session, where I get to ask Dr. Malik about incidents/issues I experienced from previous day. Dr. Malik was able to provide me with insights on Indian culture, history, and politics that I found invaluable.

For those who plan to go to MM, I would suggest getting off at Kohat (one stop ahead of Pitampura from Kashmerie Gate). It cost me 30 Rs each way (as of Dec 2012).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Sound F
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 8, 2012

The most attractive feature of this B&B is the owner. Dr. Malik is very knowledgeable and always happy to help.

I stayed in a double room with private bathroom. It was comfortable, and hot water for the shower is always available (though you have to turn it on and wait 5-10 minutes for the tank to heat). Don't expect the room to feel like an expensive hotel room; it is a little rough looking, but comfortable just the same. A large metal locker is located in the room for storing personal items.

Wireless internet is available and reasonably fast. There is also a computer for common use (30 minutes for 30 Rs). For charging, bring a Northern European converter; essentially all of the receptacles fit the huge Indian plugs and the larger EU plugs (4.8mm), but only a few fit the smaller EU plugs (4mm).

The location of the B&B is not optimal. A rickshaw and 30 Rs, or a 30 minute walk will get you to the Kohat Enclave metro station. From there you need about 20 minutes and 20 Rs to get to the center of town.

Dr. Malik can arranged a variety of tours from the B&B, and these are likely to be part of your experience at Mystique Moments. I did the city tour (8 hours) and the "drive to Agra (Taj Mahal and Agra Fort) and back in a day" trip. The city tour is a must. The tour to Agra was worth doing, but you should be ready to sit in a taxi as it navigates traffic for a total of 9 to 12 hours. The driver for these tours didn't speak much English, but he was friendly and an expert at his job.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank LostProf
Seoul
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Good sides:
- dr.Malik's frank and practical advice. He is very helpful.
- quiet and calm
- continental breakfast including fruits
- quite clean room and well organised management relatively
Negative sides:
- too far from city centre
- too far from the metro station which means you need to pay 60 for the bicycle every day
- too slow for the internet and wifi doesnt work in the room.

Room Tip: Dormitory is good value because there are little people.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is a good place for people looking for a wallet friendly place that doesn't make you want to run away!! its staff are Friendly especially Dr. Malik, has a homely ambiance, decent facilities, and guidance of Mr. Malik in regards to travels, local transport fares etc... is really exceptional which most other hotels / B&B's don't give or care about. Also is an awesome place to make new friends as i learnt.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Edsel-JM
Tehran, Iran
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I had one memorable month in this place during my trip to India with my wife.
Friendly ambience, proper facilities, kindness and guidance of Mr. Malik made us feel like at home. we stayed in a deluxe room which had great facilities like 24/7 hot water, high speed internet, comfortable double bed, large wardrobe, great A/C, refrigerator, worktable and etc. Also the cleanness was acceptable.
The staffs were friendly and helpful.
This hostel locates in North West of Delhi although it is far from most historical places of Delhi which situate in center and south area but all of them easily reachable by metro. The Pitampura metro station is the nearest one, within 15 min on walking and easily reachable by bus, auto rickshaw or even bike rickshaw. For passengers who want to stay in New Delhi less than a week, I strongly recommend them to take the Delhi day tour from Mr. Malik Because of saving time and money.
Also this place is just beside of the local bazaar where you can find everything you need with the reasonable price without being surrounded by touts or the people trying to prey on tourists.
But the most valuable thing for us was the personality and kindness of Mr. Malik. His passengers are like his family. The day we arrived in Delhi was my birthday, he bought a birthday cake for me and put it in our room’s refrigerator! I really surprised and I have never forgotten their welcome.
We did two tours with them, the Delhi day tour and the Agra-Jaipur Tour. We were satisfied with both of them, everything were well-managed.
You do not need to search a lot to find your best choices in India, just trust Dr. Malik, he will guide you and arrange everything for you with best prices.
I want to give my special thanks to Mr. Malik and his family because of their hospitality and hope to see them again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Arash858
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed July 31, 2012

When I arrived in Delhi, I was immediately scammed, in a way that is very common as I would learn later. My taxi driver told me that he couldn't find my hostel (it was not mystique moments), and drove me to a tourist information center, when they told me my hostel couldn't be accessed due to a festival. Inexperienced as I was, I didn't really try to double-check what they told me, I trusted them and I ended up buying an expensive tourist tour package. When I realized it was a scam two days later, I canceled it and came back to Delhi. This time I went to Mystique Moments. There, Dr. Malik was very helpful, very welcoming, and made the end of my stay in India very pleasant. He also gave me good advice about how to make up for the scam, by contacting the embassy, which was prompt to respond.
The hostel was clean and secure. But the best thing is that all was priced as announced, there was no hidden costs or surprise charge (as it is the case very often in India). Everything was honest and transparent, and that's what I needed after my bad experience.

Room Tip: No AC in the dorms, so be warned. It's possible to sleep and have some rest without AC, but I...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo