“See the inside of Delhi, India” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Salaam Baalak Trust City Walk

Salaam Baalak Trust City Walk
Ranked #59 of 428 Tours in New Delhi
More attraction details
Owner description: Amazing insight into the life of the 2500 homeless children living around New Delhi railway station.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Bochum, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“See the inside of Delhi, India”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

I worked for the NGO Salaam Baalak Trust who run the City Walk Tours in Old and New Delhi.
There are two different walks: the first one is the one in New Delhi. The Cityboys (boys who are living with SBT) show to you the interesting sights in New Delhi and they will tell you there personal story afterwards. It is really interesting to have a first look at the city, to get an orientation and to have some knowledge about the city. The tour ends in the head office of the organisation with a visit to the children from the shelter.
The new walk is the one in Old Delhi. This walk is much longer and more detailed. It starts at nine in the morning in Old Delhi. The boys will show to the visitors the best sights in Old Delhi. You will walk through a lot of little streets in Old Delhi, which you can never find on your own. The boys will show you really beautiful places and you will get to know a lot about history. It is fantastic to listen to the big knowledge of these guides! In between the tour you will have some time to visit some of the sights and you will have really nice break with Chai (Tea). This tour will finish in one of the biggest shelters of SBT where you can see the home of the children, how they live and learn. You will hear the story of your tourguide!
Both tours are awesome, but if you have some more time I would prefer to do the one in Old Delhi.
With that tour you will support the organisation, you will help the guides to improve their english and you will have a big knowledge about Delhi, the street children and the organisation.

Visited February 2012
4 Thank Nina L

New York City, New York
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Extremely enlightening !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

I read some reviews and I shake my head ! "too short" "could of got info at a lecture" ....let me say first that we arrived at the meeting point (5 in my party) got off of our bus to Monsoon rains!,!! Of course as we were well prepared our umbrellas were back at the hotel ! One of the guides ran somewhere and was back in a minute with some,The guides who are former street children take you to a rescue point ,a residential home for the children and share their story with you! They don't ask you for a thing and suggest a $4.00 donation! It is quite easy to envision what they must of gone through as you walk in the streets in this area. I saw heart reaching sites... A little 3year old boy completely nude dodging traffic ,all alone .... As sad as the sites and stories are ,the smiles as you meet the little boys in the residential home are polar opposite . They're are also student volunteers from all over educating these children ... Truly a wonderful thing to donate some time and money on your vacation.. If your like me and want to "feel "and "see" the pulse of the city....

Visited July 2012
2 Thank catherine115
New Forest UK
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“5 star”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

5 stars! I arrived shaking because India really hits you full on - even if you are a seasoned solo traveller. But this walk mainly comprises of english speaking well-travelled fellow travellers, who in my case, eased my 'pain' and soothed me in to starting to enjoy India and all it has to offer.

If you want 5 star luxury and AC coaches, this walk will certainly shock you. If you want to see the 'real India' then this walk is a MUST.

Run by former street children, whose stories really can make you weep, but at the same time feel so humbled by their escape from such hardness and their determination to do well inspires you,

You get to see that India really does have Social Workers (I wrongly assumed none would work here as there work would surely be too much!) and this Trust does so much for children who run away from home for one reason or another.

We were shown one of the contact centres by the station and walked through the streets of Parah Ganj (Hey that's my hotel! I exclaimed at one point....!) and end up visiting one of the shelters where the joy and smiles of the children stay with you forever.

Once again, if you want to understand why there are so many street children and what you can do to help them, do this walk. It will open your eyes and open your heart!

Visited April 2012
1 Thank jayelbee
Helsinki, Finland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Needs some improvements”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

Interesting, enlightening but somewhat too short and shallow. We walked in total maybe 1km. I had expected for a longer, more detailed and intense view on street life of Delhi. Visiting the orhpans in their house was lovely, I wish I'd come better prepared - with something, anything to donate.

Our guide, former streetchild for 5 days, shared us eagerly his own story of those days in the streets of Delhi.

Good experience, good cause but otherwise rather mediocre. The same information we got could have been given by some lecturer in an auditorium.

Visited April 2012
Dundee, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“A must do when in Delhi!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

This was one of the best things that I did in Delhi! The guides (Shahadutt and Ajay) were fantastic - full of information that you would otherwise not know and they were very open and honest about their own stories. The SBT do amazing work and it is great to see this in action! This is a first class tour!

Visited November 2010