“Probably best hotel of our trip” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Leela Palace New Delhi

The Leela Palace New Delhi
Ranked #1 of 706 Hotels in New Delhi
London, England, United Kingdom
“Probably best hotel of our trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

This was the starting point of our holiday. After a long flight from London, we were greeted warmly, got an early check-in and taken straight to our room. We were in a club room- beautifully kitted out and had access to the club lounge. Everyone was very helpful and went out of their way for us- organising taxis, booking restaurants etc... Breakfast the next day was spectacular- the best I've seen anywhere. The spa and gym were also right at the very top of hotel facilities. We didn't use the rooftop pool as it was too cold but it looked like it would be great in the summer.

Our one gripe was that the a la carte Indian restaurant claimed to be "full" when we went for dinner because we didn't have a reservation, despite the fact that we specifically asked whether we needed to book when we arrived and were told we didn't during the week. After a lot of fuss and a 20 minute wait, we were eventually given a table. It was all very odd, particularly because 70% of the tables were vacant the whole evening.

Other than that, a great place to start our trip and would highly recommend- just make sure you book for dinner!

Room Tip: Well worth the small extra cost to have use of the club room and free pick up from the airport.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SailerLouis, General Manager at The Leela Palace New Delhi, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for making The Leela Palace New Delhi your preferred choice at the beginning of your trip and the wonderful compliments on our Royal Club accommodations and the award-wining spa services.

I indeed am concerned to note your feedback on the reservation delay at Jamavar and assure that I will look further into this comment.

We look forward to welcoming you soon and eager to showcase New Delhi’s only rooftop temperature controlled swimming pool with panoramic views of the city.

Yours sincerely,
Louis Sailer,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Wow! This is the most beautiful hotel that I have ever experienced - anywhere. I am a frequent traveler, both domestically and internationally, and appreciate the finest lodgings in every city that I visit. With that being said, I find myself underwhelmed by many properties. I could never feel underwhelmed by The Leela. When I walked into this property, I was blown away! The Leela Palace is stunning - there is no other way to say it. This is my new favorite property worldwide and the bar has been set high.

The lobby - Wow! The rooms - Gorgeous! The Service - Warm, Polished, Engaging! I do not think I have ever met such genuinely nice hotel staff.

We dined at The Qube, Le Cirque, and Megu. Though all restaurants were excellent, we thought Megu was the best.

When we decided to travel to India, I knew that I did not desire a group tour and would prefer a private tour. I contacted several companies but was most impressed with India Beat Travel. Victoria, at India Beat Travel, designed an excellent private tour for us (2 persons). The India Beat Travel airport representatives, guides, and drivers were fantastic. The tour was interesting, fun, educational, and most importantly, we felt completely safe during the entire tour. I would highly recommend India Beat Travel for planning your private tour of India.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Luxury1Georgia
Your review titled ““My new favorite hotel - period!” is the ultimate reward to all our efforts and a wonderful endorsement for our staff; that strives daily to fulfill and exceed the expectations of our valued patrons and guests.

Thank you for the high notes on our restaurants that are adorned with beautifully landscaped alfresco to enjoy under the stars and all our décor and staff services.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

With regards,
Rishikesh, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

the stay at the leela palace was a very good and decent one.
all the rooms are very very clean and services also were really good.
i can say that i have stayed in many hotels in my life but i haven't seen any hotel like this.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SailerLouis, General Manager at The Leela Palace New Delhi, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
It is a pleasure to read the glowing review of your stay at The Leela Palace New Delhi. We eagerly look forward to welcome you back again in not too distant future.

With warmest regards,
Louis Sailer
Navi Mumbai, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

I was working for a domestic airlines and as part of a corporate event tied up with the hotel to bring our some common guest to experience both the airlines and the hotels service.

As a guest at the hotel i had a wonderful experience. Nothing beats the Indian hospitality and the staff at the Leela Palace made sure to live up to that claim. Incase you are wondering what kind of property the hotel is, well rest assured that nothing beats the Leela when it comes to being grandiose.

The food at the restaurants (all three of them) was exquisite. I loved the spread at the buffet table and enjoyed the food thoroughly. The only downside is the cost, being luxurious is a costly affair and incase you have to shell out the cost from your own pocket instead of your company then it will really pinch but to me it would be worth it.

Location wise this hotel is in the embassy area of Delhi and thus foreign diplomats and business leaders are frequent guests but if you are a tourist then travelling might be an issue from here.

Planning to send my parents for their anniversary to the hotel :)

Room Tip: Just trust the hotel staff, they wont disappoint.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the wonderful compliments on our Indian hospitality and the gracious endorsement of our staff services and the restaurants.

As you have rightly noted, we are the preferred choice of travelling diplomats and dignitaries due to our proximity to embassies, government offices, business districts, many historical monuments and key shopping destinations. Our concierge team goes an extra mile ensuring the best city tours in our comfortable and safe in-house BMW fleet with trained chauffeurs.

It is wonderful to note that you consider sending us your parents’ to celebrate their anniversary with us.

My team and I eagerly look forward to welcome your parents soon and ensure to make their stay a most memorable one.

Yours sincerely,
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

My parter and I (along with our parents) stayed at the Leela for 5 nights, long enough to get a good sense of the hotel and its limitations. We arrived quite late on the first night and our check-in process was handled in the most incompetent manner. We booked two different rooms (of differing quality--our parents had a larger room) and were given two rooms at the lower standard. Too tired at that point to argue, we let it go and the next day we were told that our parents' room would be switched to the size they had booked. Upon our return from a day out in Delhi, we found that our things (scattered throughout the room) had been moved and that our parents' things (packed neatly ready for room change) had been left as they were. In other words, the butler and the management moved the wrong room. All of our things were handled individually and moved separately, which no good hotel should ever do without express permission of the guest! I went down to reception to protest and realising their mistake the staff basically scattered and hid in fear while I stood there waiting for an explanation. And that was just the beginning. Our room keys constantly needed replacing as they expired after 24 hours. Every single night we stayed we had to ask reception to come up and let us into our room. Totally unacceptable. Even one of the bell boys admitted that the management hasn't quite got the hang of things yet and it certainly shows. We stayed at the Oberoi and the Taj hotels throughout India and the main difference between them and the Leela is class, professionalism, a well-oiled system by which hospitality is offered in the most unobtrusive and respectful manner. The Leela's restaurants are okay---Le Cirque is overpriced and the wine menu is ridiculous---300 dollars for Cakebread wine which retails for about 12 bucks in the US? That can't just be tax and import fees, though this is what we were told by the sommelier. No decent wines by the glass at all. There were select members of staff who were helpful---some at breakfast and one young man at reception, but on the whole the staff stands around and looks helpful but really there's nothing behind the show. While the hotel is beautiful to look at I most certainly will not be returning to the Leela and would advise others to consider alternatives. Unless you enjoy a smog-laden swimming pool and staff that haunt every corridor with presumably nothing better to do than to stand and stare...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank SP613
Thank you for contributing your feedback of your recent stay with us. It is most unfortunate that we were unable to provide a seamless experience for you and we are very sorry for that. My team is certainly disheartened by your comments and for not delivering on our service promise to you.

I am taking the liberty to contact you via private email to gather more information and would appreciate to connect with you at your convenience.

Yours Sincerely,
New York, NY

Details:
Nights: 3
Room Type: The Royal Club Room #389
Other Hotels we looked at: The Imperial, Oberoi and Taj Palace

Highs + Lows:
Highs:
Service: Truly End to End Service, they go above and beyond what typical hotels would do. What truly made it was the service didn't end when we checked out of the hotel. As we arrived at the airport to leave Delhi there was a Leela greeter to help us with the check-in and any last minute things we forgot and also the chaos that is Delhi airport.

Grounds: The hotel lobby and room decor are exquisite - high end furnishings, regal interior decor - was reminiscent of the rooms at The Plaza Hotel in NY, or Hotel de Paris in Monte Carlo, with an Indian twist. Flower displays everywhere were beautiful. The rooftop pool is gorgeous and heated so we were able to take a dip on a chilly night.

Excursions: we booked a trip to Agra via the Leela and they had the most amazing guide. Extremely knowledge and spoke perfect english and easy to understand all the history and wonder of the Taj.

Drivers: You can book a private car (the hotel has a fleet of 24 BMWs) by the hour for about $25 dollars (1500 INR), they will take you anywhere you want and all spoke perfect english so it wasn't a pain to communicate. (A trip to Agra with a private car cost about 35,000 INR) We wanted to try Karim's, a restaurant nestled in a bustling bazaar. The driver walked us personally there and waited outside while we ate. Amazing service.

Food: We ate at the the Qube for breakfast and it was one of the best Buffets on our trip to India. It rivaled most Vegas buffets. But in general, the breakfast buffets in the nice Indian hotels outside of Delhi aren't so lavish. We also ate "tapas" at the Library which were delicious.

Lows:
The only low part that related to this hotel was during the excursion to Agra our guide (3rd party that works with Leela) took us to a tourist trap factory after I briefly asked if there was any good shopping. I've been in that kind of tourist trap factory before so I knew full well what they were trying to do - they give you an "educational" tour of how things are made and then try to force you to buy from them at prices that rival the department stores in the U.S making you feel really uncomfortable. A basic pashmina scarf for $90 US? (You can get this for a third to a quarter of the price at Khan Market) or how about low quality emerald studs for $5000? And usually, the tour guide who brings them there gets a back end commission. The tour guide wasn't pushy about it and he was extremely nice otherwise so I just shrugged it off.

Conclusion:
This was our first time to India and Leela was the first hotel we stayed in. It was a great hotel to help ease into the craziness that is Delhi. This hotel truly exemplified's Indian Hospitality and Service. Everything was spot on and i would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ChungWNg
I am pleased to read your detailed review of our services and am very happy that the experience met with your expectations. We take pride in tailor-making magical experiences for each of our guests and such reviews are the true testament of our hard work.

While my team joins me in thanking your for the highest endorsement of the staff and taking note of our special touches across the hotel including the floral displays and Food & Beverage offerings at The Qube and The Library bar, we have taken your feedback seriously on the third party guide experience in Agra and shall conduct our personal reviews immediately.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Leela Palace New Delhi very soon.

With warmest regards,
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed at the Leela Palace on two separate occasions, at the beginning of our trip to India and the last two days. We had very spacious and beautifully decorated rooms with wonderful-spa like bathrooms. Good breakfast, very friendly personnel. Would not hesitate to recommend it.

Room Tip: Room 603 was large and although facing the front of the hotel, absolutely quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing The Leela Palace New Delhi in the beginning and the end of your recent India visit.

I am delighted to read that our accommodations and staff services scored high on your experience. Thank you for recommending the food offerings at The Qube.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Leela Palace New Delhi soon.

With kindest regards,