“Magical Leela”

Ranked #1 of 716 Hotels in New Delhi
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Magical Leela”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at The Leela Palace on my first trip (business) to India in January 2012 and what a great start. From the moment I was met at the airport to the initial welcome at the door to the hotel I sensed that the Leela was going to be a special hotel. If you are in need of a car during your stay ask for Ricky to drive you around - he's a legend!

It's a beautiful property and now reputedly the best hotel in the city. I haven't stayed anywhere else in Delhi so I can't comment but the Leela is special - no doubt about it. As in all the best hotels in India the service is first class and the staff are friendly as well as engaged and engaging.

The public areas are really elegant. I managed to have a drink in the bar, eat in two of the hotel restaurants and host a cocktail event at the hotel on their outside terrace during my stay. The restaurants were both excellent and the bar is a really atmospheric elegant hotel bar.

The hotel did an amazing job with the event and it went off without a hitch. Everything from the service to the quality of the food that we served was faultless.

Easily one of the best hotels I have had the privilige to stay in. Am planning a long weekend in Delhi for February 2013...

I don't have a single negative comment.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The Leela Palace New Delhi is magnificent! A beautiful hotel, a warm Indian welcome, great food at the restaurants, gentle, warm, and polite employees, and a fabulous spa to treat my sore muscles after a great 12 day trek in Sikkim. The rooms were beautiful, the bathrooms luscious..... I cannot say enough nice things about my experience at the Leela Palace New Delhi. Also, the gift shop in the hotel is fabulous!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Centrally located modern luxury hotel in diplomatic zone. Supremely comfortable guest rooms, stylish public areas and two excellent restaurants ( Le Cirque and Jamabar ) . Would be Delhi's unquestioned #1 were it not for surprising shortfalls in service since the link with Kempinski was ended. $500 per night for room and breakfast. My sixth stay here.

Pros : Great guest rooms, good air conditioning, double glazing that keeps out road noise, marble baths, awesome power showers. Jamabar Indian restaurant is world class. Le Cirque on the tenth floor a touch of Manhattan in India. Outside champagne bar mega-chic. Nitin is Delhi's best concierge - able to get reservations for impossible venues like Indian Accent. Restaurant and waiting staff efficient and charming.

Cons: After two years of using the Leela Palace as my ' home ' in Delhi service standards at the front desk have recently slipped. A ' welcome to the Leela ' call put through to my room at 4.45 am ( just what you need after a long flight from NY ) , despite two reminder calls my senior colleague left waiting for car at the airport at 2.30 am . On arrival I was kept waiting in the lounge for twenty minutes before front desk came to check me in , told they took Diners and then they didn't, confusion over reservation. Place seems to work fine when it's half full but now struggles when busy . Slow check out. A sign that the new management is focusing on tourists rather than business ?

Conclusion : Beautiful modern hotel. Outstanding restaurants. Great rooms. Comfortable and welcoming but not as efficient or business friendly as it used to be under Kempinski management.

Room Tip: Long haul flights arrive in Delhi between midnight and two in the morning . If you wish to avoid a l...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank KellyNebraska
Tamir_Kobrin, General Manager at The Leela Palace New Delhi, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for the feedback and constructive comments on the need for us to do better. There is no doubt that the team could have handled the situation better, moreover, that you have given us the opportunity of visiting us repeatedly.

I have reviewed the standards, once again, with my team to ensure that such experiences do not reoccur. A seamless experience at check in and on arrival is essential and we will ensure to get it right.

I do hope you will come back and give us the opportunity again to make it up to you on the next visit. My entire management team, whom have been with us since the opening of the hotel, look forward to welcoming you back. Our commitment to exceptional service has not changed and we strive to do better each and every time.

Tamir Kobrin
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I, and my wife, stayed at this hotel from Nov 5 for 3 nights. I visit New Delhi quite often on business but this was my first stay at this lovely hotel.
The hotel is spanking new and sparkles with its ornate and cut glass furnishings. The room was cosy & comfortable and the bed was firm. The marble bathroom was great with a stand alone shower, which I prefer over bathtubs. Bathroom fittings were of good quality. The toiletries were nice. Room cleaning was comprehensive and always on time. The turndown service was prompt. The room & bathroom lightings are latest and not confusing! Replenishment of cookies, chocolates, fruits & tea bags is a great touch!
Breakfast was well laid out with many choices and the quality of food was good. Normally I avoid Indian food which are oily & spicy, but the food at the Indian restaurant, although they looked over spiced, was easy on the stomach and very tasty.....will eat again! The ambiance at the bar (sitting out) is worth remembering....their house cocktail & mocktail are a must!
"Service with a Smile" fits this hotel very well ! Will stay in this lovely hotel again although I wish their tariff was lower.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The Leela Palace was the perfect start to our India adventure and is now one of my top 3 favorite hotels in the world!

I was pleased to see thorough security checks on our car before we were even allowed to drive in and airport style scanners for ourself - very reassuring.

Once inside the grand lobby its hard not to be impressed with the scale and beautiful design and decoration.

Check-in was done in our room which is always nicer than hanging around at the front desk.

We had a classic room (room 123) which was very sumptuous and perfectly adequate in size so don't feel you need to go for a higher category unless you like a LOT of space.

The bathroom was also a good size and finished in marble. The bath tub was huge and very deep but filled surprisingly quickly - I hate waiting hours for a bath tub to slowing fill!!!

My only minor criticism of the bathroom is that the toilet is in the bathroom with only a partially frosted glass door so if you want privacy in your most private of moments then the I suggest closing the outer bathroom doors and/or asking your partner to vacate the bathroom area entirely.

We had dinner in Jamava, breakfast in the Qube and dinner in Magu - the food and service in all of these restaurants was faultless and to a very high standard. My only complaint would be the VERY high price of the wine - double the price of a top London restaurant.

Tip: bring as much duty free liqueur as you can to India as the drinks here are expensive.

We also had room service one afternoon - I tend to have a club sandwich in every 5* hotel that I stay in as its a good benchmark for comparing standards between them. The club at the Leela Palace was probably the best I've had.

I had a great massage in the spa - the treatments rooms are spacious and again beautifully decorated.

A truly world class hotel and the only hotel I would ever consider staying in when I'm next in New Delhi. Congratulations to the management and every single member of staff at the Leela because you're doing a fantastic job!

Room Tip: A classic room is perfectly adequate inside and comfort.
Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed for two nights in Delhi after a few days at their stunning hotel in Udaipur. Everything the Leela does is classy, from the airport pick up to the in-room check in, done with style and charm. The reception is a cross between a Mayfair florist and and Harrods glass dept. with sofas in, quite something. Our room was very comfortable and pleasing. We ate one evening in their Jamavar restaurant which we thought a bit up itself and the decor oppressive the food was ok, but expensive, the Qubo restaurant was a much more enjoyable experience, comfortable , good food and better value, and the charming manager trained a few miles from us in the UK, Leela's gain our loss. The hotel is an oasis in manic Delhi.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Right from the pickup from the airport , to personalised check-in ,excellent room and superb service. The lobby certainly has a "wow" factor.The Cube restaurant serves some of the best breakfast we've had in India.The Le Circue restaurant was way overpriced for the food. The Jamvari restaurant had average Indian food. However the overall experience was fantastic .Highly recommended if your budget allows.

1 Thank mohines p