“Absolute Magic!”
Review of Delhi Magic

Delhi Magic
Ranked #34 of 517 Tours in New Delhi
More attraction details
Owner description: Like all popular tourist destinations Delhi has its share of cookie-cutter tours. But if you prefer something more insightful and interesting, take a look at Delhi Magic tours. These tours have been designed by people with a deep understanding of India’s history, culture, cuisine and quirks. We’ll show you the city’s grand monuments and attractions, but we’ll also show you the ‘real’ Delhi – its people, its religions, its streets and bazaars
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We returned today after a five week trip of the North of India. After much research (and reading many of these great reviews) we contacted Deepa with a rough idea of what we wanted to see and from that moment we were confident we were in good hands.
Deepa was thorough and fast with her responses to all of our questions and quickly put together an amazing trip for us at a price we could afford, this was very competetive with every other tour we looked at even though it was custom built for two!
We were amazingly well looked after from the moment our plane landed in Delhi until we were put on our last plane out from Kolkutta. Our trip included Delhi, Jaisalmer, a desert camel trip, Jodphur, Ranakapur, Udaipur, Bundi, Jaipur, Bharatpur, Agra, Orchha, Khajuraho, Varanasi and Kolcutta. Thoughout the trip Gaurav checked in with us to ensure things were going smoothly and a we were happy with everything which was wonderful. Deepa and her team ensured we had the same driver, Roop Sing, from Delhi to Khajurho, even though we took an overnight train from Delhi to Jaisalmer (920 km & 19 hours... We wouldn't recommend this to anyone!) our driver left the day before and drove to Jaisalmer so he could be there in time to meet us... In hindsight, he may have had a more comfortable trip than we did! Roop Sing had good English and was always on the lookout for interesting things along the way, from an 8th Century step well in a tiny village that was just 50 km detour to amazing forts and a beautiful lake that Roop Sing enquired about and found a wonderful smiling farmer to lead us to, who found two crocodiles and other birds and wildlife to show us (this simple thing was one of the highlights of our trip for me, it was spontaneous and delightful!)
All of our guides were great and each one was careful to ensure we understood the history and culture of the places they showed us. I agree with other reviewers about the places the guides like to take you to show how carpets are made, gem stones cut, rugs woven etc... We asked our guides to make it VERY clear at these places that we were NOT interested in buying anything, but were genuinely interested in seeing how things were made. This did make a difference to the hard sell attitude at these places (the first couple if places we hadn't worked this out yet and it was very difficult to escape without buying anything as they put on a lot of pressure to buy!) We found that if they thought we are not buying anything, they just showed us how things were made and offered to show us some of the things they were very proud of, we sometimes decided to buy things anyway, but it was at our own discretion and without pressure.
Our accommodation in Khajourho fell through and we were upgraded at no charge to the Radisson, which was a wonderful hotel, we were met there by Javid who looked after us and made sure our time in Khajurho went smoothly, he touched base with us frequently to ensure all went well, took us to a sound & light show at the western temples and delivered us to the airport for our fight to Varanasi.
We were picked up in Varanasi by Shashi who looked after our itiniery there, then arranged an escort to deliver us to our last overnight train to Kolkutta, this was great as the train station was very complicated and our escort ensured we caught the correct train, escorting us on to the train and locating our berths. Pradeep was an excellent guide who looked after us very well and was really interesting to talk to. Our accommodation was also upgraded in Varanasi when our original accommodation was being used for a wedding & Gaurav was concerned it may be a bit noisy :) We were very happy with the alter native they found here too.
A couple of days before we left for Kolkutta we checked on the Hotel we had booked there to find that the last 3 reviews on Tripadvisor were pretty terrible... We asked Gaurav if he could find us alternative accommodation as we didn't wish to risk ending our holiday on a sour note when it had gone so well... Gaurav bent over backwards to find us a great Hotel, for this one we paid for the upgrade and we were very pleased we did:) Ajay picked us up from our berth in the train and helped us to get our luggage off the train then delivered us to our hotel for breakfast & arranged for our guide to meet us there. We had a couple of interesting tours there and one day with a general strike where everything was closed, no ATMs functioned for a couple of days & no shops or taxis etc... It was very different to see the quiet side of Kolkutta! Ajay finally delivered us safely to the Airport for our flight home.
We cannot praise Magic Tours highly enough, they absolutely made our trip one to remember, magic!

2  Thank Traci_Wilson-B

Reviewed February 13, 2013

We have just returned from a very rapid 4 days in Delhi, Agra and Jaipur. I was worried about visiting India for the first time and researched very carefully which company to travel with. Initially I was trying to do this 'on my own' but having visited India now and I know I couldn't have seen or done anything like as much as this on my own. The roads are very, very busy & dangerous - especially the road from Jaipur back to Delhi (even with traffic driving on the wrong side on a dual carriageway!) and it was a relief to have such a steady and calm driver (Bohul) who cleaned the car for us daily and provided fresh water in the car. The guides in each place were very informative and helpful. We saw amazing things in each destination. At all times I felt very safe. The head office even contacted us on Day 2 to check everything was going OK. It is always a worry to pay up front and not really know what a tour company are like but I would wholeheartedly echo all that has been said here about this company - they look after you, use very decent hotels and you will have a great trip. Deepa and her staff were very helpful via email and everything went exactly to plan. The only thing I would change is when the guides tell you that you can learn about an industry (carpets in Delhi and Gems in Jaipur) although it is optional they make it sound interesting. Actually just say NO as it is not interesting it is just visiting an expensive sales room to buy goods at top, top prices. We wasted some of our very limited time doing this. If I visit India again I would certainly book with this company, and I liked it that they employ women guides, especially as it seems that few women get the chance to go out to work in North India. We learnt a lot and did a lot. It was an excellent expereience.

3  Thank discovery204
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Because of all the excellent reviews here on Tripadvisor, I decided to book my Golden Triangle tour with Delhi Magic and I could not have been more pleased. Everyone I dealt with was totally professional and courteous. It is obvious that Deepa runs a tight ship. My driver, Kamal, was experienced and he navigated the chaotic streets of India with total confidence. He was ALWAYS on time (even early) to meet me and was filled with interesting information about various sites. All the guides in Delhi, Agra and Jaipur were awesome. From the minute I was met at the Delhi airport until Kamal dropped me off, I felt I was in good hands. I thought it was a nice touch when Gaurav called me while in Jaipur just to check on things. Thanks to Delhi Magic's attention to detail and expertise, my first trip to India was simply unforgettable.

3  Thank SDMullis
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We did the Golden Triangle Tour with Delhi Magic in mid Jan 2013. I pursued this company because I read about Deepa and the way that she promotes women working in the tour industry as well as the causes that they support. If not for reading about these causes, I would have looked elsewhere as I was very slow to receive any response after my initial inquiries. However, after some time had passed, I contacted Deepa directly and she immediately set about setting up our itinerary. There were numerous questions and e-mails back and forth since I was organizing a ladies trip and unlike my own family where I have the say, everyone had differing opinions. However, she was more than kind enough to answer everything promptly. I know she is busy and we were not easy in that we kept changing our minds. We had a hotel cancellation at the Shangri La the night before our trip. Deepa called and told us about the unfortunate circumstances. Delhi Magic instead upgraded us to the Fabulous Leela Palace Hotel which was a super special treat. My friends all thoroughly enjoyed that place. In Jaipur, we asked to stay in a smaller B&B type place. She found us Jas Vilas which we thoroughly enjoyed just because of the staff and the lovely garden setting. We could come back from dinner and we would order some beers or Masala Chai from the kitchen, sit around the pool and talk and just soak up the experiences of the day. They had gorgeous tables by the pool and even right outside on our balcony which overlooked the pool. Fabulous for us. We had some troubles with our driver Kamlesh during our trip - we had several incidents where we just felt like he didn't want to drive us where we wanted to go. We promptly contacted Guarav and he set about finding a solution. We were given Nidhi in Jaipur and that was a wonderful gift. She was meant to accompany us and talk to the driver for us. What a gift! We learned more from her in 1 hour than we did from all our other guides. She just clicked with us and we enjoyed her company immensely. We had asked to stop and look at the Mustard Seed plants and she found a farm on the side of the highway. What a treat to just stop and have a glimpse at Indian life right there on the side of the road. I would have to say if not for Kamlesh, we would never have met Nidhi. I've traveled all over and been on many tours, I would say that this tour was extremely well done. I appreciated Deepa picking up the ball and organizing our itinerary when we didn't receive a response. Our guide Sunil at the Taj Mahal said it all. Deepa looks after her clients like they are her own family. I would use this company again. And I would recommend that Nidhi go with you around the Golden Triangle because she is wonderful. I'll never forget India . . .

2  Thank TravelwithFourkids
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I ma just finishing my trip to the Kumbh Mela in Allahabad, going via Delhi and Varanasi.

This is the third time I have come to India and each time I have used Deepa and her company. If you plan to travel to India I cannot recommend Delhi Magic enough. They are not the cheapest company but that is with good reason. The flexibility, the professionalism and infrastructure of the trips are second to none.

2  Thank PaulDAmsterdam