“Best guest house!”
Review of Tree Tops

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Tree Tops
Ranked #38 of 1,082 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Bathurst, Australia
“Best guest house!”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Tree Tops is a beautiful bed and breakfast in a fantastic location in New Delhi. The home- style place is stunningly decorated and the owners are just amazing. The lady of the house, Tannie, will make you feel like you've returned home to family as soon as you arrive at the stylish and impeccable sanctuary. I highly recommend this bed and breakfast for anyone visiting New Delhi and don't pass up Tannie's home- made jam over breakfast- it's absolutely divine!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I had a few bumps during my two night stay at this B&B; I can't say that I felt comfortable. I did not find the surrounding Hauz Khan neighbourhood attractive in any way; when I arrived after dark, people were burning fires on the sidewalk outside the B&B for warmth. This was my first trip to India, so I had imagined that the neighbourhood would be nice (perhaps much or all of Delhi is rough, I am not sure, but I suggest you have no fantasies in that regard). There was a lot of traffic noise at night, but it seemed to end by 11 pm and start around 5 a.m.…the B&B is not on a major street, which is good. Nevertheless, I wore earplugs in order to sleep, as I did throughout most of India. The B&B is a 5 to 10 minute walk from the subway, which I found safe and indeed enjoyable to use, especially the ladies-only car (I did not use the subway at night).
When I arrived at the B&B, only the servants were home. They were not welcoming and did not explain anything about the B&B or my room, or refer to the hosts, and the lights were low, so the experience was a bit disconcerting. Not having finalized any arrangements with my hosts for dinner (despite having tried to do so by email before arrival!), and not knowing that in India, dinner is typically at 8 pm or later, I ate a snack in my room. When the hosts got home, they tried to insist that I had booked dinner, but I insisted that no arrangement had been made and so, I'd eaten. I did dine the second night, and the meal was delicious and wholesome, as were the breakfasts. Ordinarily, the hosts eat with the guests, but the lady of the B&B was not feeling well that night. As I understand it, the servants do the cooking rather than her.
The lady also informed me that I had been given a room that was "appropriate to my profession" as a lawyer (the single room that I had booked was inexplicably occupied). On check-out, I was asked to pay the higher rate, but I refused, since I had made very clear in my booking that I wanted the single room.
Oddly, the lady had sent me an email the day before my arrival to cancel my booking, on the basis that she had a sick guest who could not leave my room,and that she knew of another good place that I could stay at. I had no email access at that time, so I arrived at the B&B unaware. I don't know what happened to the sick person, and the single room I had booked had been occupied for several days by another single female traveller.
I was given one of the two double rooms, and it was large, with a nice size bathroom (a dirty rug in front of the sink, though), a TV, couch and two single beds. I had to turn on the water heater 30 minutes in advance of showering, to heat up the water. Outside the room is a lovely large balcony with a host of wonderful plants and chairs to sit on and relax, if one is so inclined. The living room which we were welcome to use is very comfortable with a variety of interesting objects and furniture. I had a bit of trouble with the wifi, and had to use their computer to check some travel plans.
The lady of the house seemed to be opinionated and did not listen much to me. I explained that I had only shorts to wear (coming out of an adventure trip in another country, with everything else dirty) and that I wanted to buy an outfit appropriate to Hindu temple touring as a woman, perhaps in Hauz Khan village. She said that I would be fine touring Delhi in my shorts, no need to shop there. I have a nice pair of thighs for an older broad, and I was the subject of catcalls throughout the day on the subway, sidewalks and elsewhere. It was "almost funny". I chummed around that day in Delhi with another Canadian staying at the B&B, and she said that she had been unable to figure out from the lady where Hauz Khan village was, either, despite asking. The lady told me that she had no tips or suggestions as to where I might shop for temple-appropriate clothes. So much for our shopping plans. My fellow guest also told me that the lady had bad-mouthed the servants, referring to them as "stupid", right in front of her. She found this rude and awkward, since she figured the servants spoke some English. Some time later in my travels, I became certain that two small items had been taken from my room by one of the servants…nothing of value, only sentimental to me in the case of a bookmark I'd picked up in China, and inconvenient in the case of the foot roller I was using for a foot issue. (these were the only two items I lost in two months of touring, as I scoured my room prior to every departure.) If you treat your servants badly, they will get you back. My fellow Canadian also mentioned that at dinner the night before, the hosts had dominated the discussion at the dinner table and during a drink beforehand.
The lady of the B&B also kept telling me that I should keep the windows closed at night or I would catch a cold. I kept saying "don't worry, I like cold, I am a Canadian". It was kinda like staying with your aunt who means well but won't stop telling you what's best for you in her opinion!
On my final night, I advised the lady that I would check out at 9 a.m. after breakfast, since that is when my tour guide was picking me up, but during breakfast she told me to check out at 8:45 a.m., as the "servants were wanting to clean the room". I have never had to check out this early in many years of travels. I had also tried to pay the night before departure, but she told me to wait until the morning. In the morning, she wanted to "have a bath so I needed to pay now", she announced during breakfast. So much for a relaxing and leisurely breakfast before departure on my very busy itinerary.
In sum, it was like staying in the home of a distracted and somewhat irritating relative.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank TorontoCarol
Baig10, Owner at Tree Tops, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Astonishing for such a long litany of mostly minor complaints. Complaints noted but she seems to be negative about everything especially as Hauz Khas is one of Delhi's best colonies. I cannot comprehend how anyone could have suggested wearing shorts in a severe winter.
Fall City, Washington
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We were so lucky to find Tree Tops. It was our first trip to India, our first day, and we landed at Tannie and Murad's to find a spacious, beautiful room with a lovely terrace, and such gracious hosts. We spent three nights and were so well taken care of - they helped us find our way around, gave great advice on what to see and do, and the home cooked food was amazing. We couldn't have asked for a better start to our trip. We highly recommend Tree Tops and thank Tannie and Murad for their kindness and friendship.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We traveled as a family to attend a wedding and were made very welcome by Tannie and Murad, so much so that they organised many things that we had been struggling to do from Australia. Tannie organised our hand mehndi (henna) and also dressed us for the wedding so that we wore our sarees with confidence. The food was wonderful, we enjoyed breakfast with our hoists and other meals were organised at our request. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the Hauz Khas is a great place to be in Delhi. As regular travelers to India we will be always staying here. Thank you again Tannie and Murad for our great stay in Delhi. Karen and Charles

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Tree Tops is a lovely B&B in a home located in a convenient area, featuring beautiful furnishings and top-notch food. Tannie and Murad were helpful hosts, giving us a ride with them into town on our first day, arranging transportation, etc., which was very much appreciated.

Although we had been very much looking forward to the cooking courses, however, the inquiry that we made on the first day was unfortunately never followed up on. This was likely due to the fact that Tannie had caught a cold during our stay, which I obviously have no complaint with. Given the fact that at least two e-mail inquiries regarding the cooking course made prior to our visit were also never acknowledged, however (and that no concrete information regarding the courses is provided on the website), I was led to wonder whether they ever would have materialized even had Tannie not been ill.

It was also rather unsettling when Tannie less-than-subtly indicated on more than one occasion that my partner and I should hurry up and leave the table so that she and her husband could sit and eat with the other, clearly preferred guests. (It was unclear why there were only four chairs provided at the enormous table, which could have easily accommodated the eight persons staying in the house). We had apparently incurred Tannie's ill will because of having asked for a small space heater for our room (we visited Delhi the week where it recorded its coldest winter temperatures in over 50 years, and we were staying downstairs in the study, which was dark and cold). Or perhaps we fell on her bad side after she realized that we were a same-sex couple. Whatever the reason, it was disappointing to witness such blatant favoritism at a B&B promising a welcoming sort of "stay in our home" experience.

Most guests seem to enjoy their stay here, and we did in fact enjoy many aspects of our own, including the opportunity to chat with many other lovely travelers. In the interest of full disclosure, however, I am including the unsavory experiences along with the positive.

Room Tip: I would avoid the downstairs study, which in addition to being cold for winter travelers, is also ri...