“Disappointed”

and 1 more site!
Devna
Ranked #55 of 777 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I am surprised that this guest house is "Top Choice" in The Lonely Planet. Its location is good, and David Raj is welcoming and friendly, but it is the only place that we stayed during our 6 week trip of India where we had to pay for our own welcome drinks! We were part of a larger group and specifically asked to have adjacent rooms on the first floor. This request was agreed AND confirmed by email, but on arrival we discovered that two of our group had been relocated to a different hotel down the road without any prior consultation. We all thought that breakfast was disappointing - no fresh juice, little choice of fresh fruit, instant coffee and omelettes that came wrapped in kitchen roll. We chose not to stay at Devna when we returned to Delhi, as we considered it to be poor value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor are superior to the others.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 10Beth2013
devna10, Owner at Devna, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Dear Mott,

I was surprised to see your comment on tripadvisor. I totally agree with you that you were inconvenienced because we had to shift you to another guest house (which is a house away).
Though we had confirmed your booking via email, I personally spoke to you during your stay at our place regarding an emergency situation concerning a tragedy in the family of one of our regular overseas guest.
In this connection since the bereaved guest had to stay on with us for the connecting flight, I requested you to kindly shift to another suitable accommodation down the road at our expense. You graciously agreed and we personally made sure of your comfort at the alternative hotel and cleared your lodging bills ourselves.
I really appreciate your help in case of the unforeseen emergency of one of our guests but this was beyond our control.
As far as breakfast is concerned, I apologize if things were not up to your liking. We do not serve welcome drink so you were charged for something you must have ordered.
We look forward to hosting you on your next visit to Delhi and assure you of the most satisfying and comfortable experience.

Best Wishes
Devna

Reviewed November 16, 2013

We stayed at Devna for three nights in early October. The place is located in a quiet neighbourhood but with easy access to the main attractions with a short taxi ride. We felt as special guests from the moment we arrived until we left. The staff attended to any questions we had on the area, where to go, where to buy and eat (nice restaurants near by). The room was specious and comfortable. They also organised a driver for our stay (Dao) who was fun and looked after us. Definitely a great place to stay when in Delhi.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tsachi P
Reviewed November 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed in Devna for 3nights. Unfortunately we couldn't get one of the rooms on the first floor, our room was in the basement and had almost no day light, since we were never in the room during day, it was OK. but for the price that we paid we were a bit disappointed.
The service in Devna was really great, people were super friendly and helped us a lot (it was our first days in India and we really needed some help). and try the fresh made aloo parathas for breakfast, they were really good.
all in all if you want to stay in Devna ask explicit for a room in first floor.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed 16 days at Devna this September and there really isn't anything else to say beyond what all the other excellent reviews have said. UNBELIEVABLE SERVICE....I will start by saying that the service at this hotel was superior to any other we have stayed in. Manoj, was the finest example of a concierge I have ever had the pleasure of being helped by.
The garden has a wonderful atmosphere for breakfast and snacks. All room service orders were correct and delivered on time. location and room was enough pleasing to get the feel of home for me. Would really like to thank to Manoj and other staff for their excellent service

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2013

The Devna is an absolutely superb little guest house within the larger enclave of Sunder Nagar, a leafy, quiet, sanctuary amid the turmoil of Delhi. We checked in at midnight, after a long haul, and felt instantly at home. In the morning we savoured breakfast in the beautiful courtyard and looked forward to returning each night.
Only 5 minutes walk from the Devna are great local shops and restaurants, so you really don't need to leave Sunder Nagar at all but we had our lovely driver, Dau, who collected us from the airport (arranged by the Devna) show us the sights and sounds of Delhi.
At the end of a long hot tour of Rajasthan, we were so looking forward to returning for our last night in India at the Devna, where we enjoyed a candle-lit meal of Kumari's delicious chicken biryani.
All the staff are fantastic and will make you absolutely welcome. See you next time!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I arrived late in the middle of the night. This was my first of many experiences in India and i did not know what to expect. I stayed in many 5 star hotels later and must say the Devna was extraordinary. Very clean, comfortable, central and hospitable. I had to leave for Agra the next day at 5:00am and they packed my breakfast meticulously in a cloth bag and even put the mixed pickles, they knew I liked, in a nice plastic container. Highly recommended and I am fussy. David Raj was very helpful and went out of his way to make sure I was happy.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and I had no complaints.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Devna is located in a posh area, with a small park nearby, the Zoo and a historical site.
It has few rooms and thus very personal. The rooms are very exquisitely furnished and tidy. Coming back to India from our recent trips to the South, Rajasthan and Kolkata, it is refreshing to find a decent and clean hotel, a home away from home.
The staff are very friendly and helpful. The owners are also often there and are very friendly.
They can organize you a nice car for Rp1,200 for 8 hours city tour. It was worth the money and you can see Delhi in one day.

Room Tip: There are only 4 rooms, and they are more or less the same. We stayed in the middle room and that wa...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple