“Strangest Mexican Ever”

Cuisines: Lebanese, Mexican
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Neighborhood: Greater Kailash I
Reviewed March 22, 2012

The search for genuine Mexican food in New Delhi continues, unsuccessfully.

My colleague and I were impressed by the decor and ambiance of this place, and I was hopeful when we ordered the taco platter. When it arrived, I was shocked and dismayed. The food bore no resemblance to what Mexicans prepare and eat.

Instead of corn or flour tortillas, they gave us 5-cm long fried wontons. Two of the three proteins, one chicken and one mutton, were Indian curries, and not especially to my liking at that. The third, seafood, was more interesting, but again, it had nothing whatsoever to do with Mexican food.

Of the usual range of toppings found in Mexican restaurants closer to Mexico -- lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cheese, salsa and sour cream -- some were missing, and I had to request them specially.

I can't comment on the other cuisines at this place, and to be fair, my colleague from Kolkata enjoyed the food a lot, but for me, it was a total disaster.

1  Thank David W
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Good interiors... Infact, very nicely done interiors... excellent ambiance for a nice romantic night out... nice staff as well....
But the food... well, whether what we ordered was not our type.. or the food is just like that, is debatable.. but in a nutshell, I would avoid recommending AMIGO to anyone.

1  Thank Ruchi_S
Reviewed September 28, 2011

All i can say is that this place was worth the money...a Li'l on the steeper side but great ambience, no loud music, good seating arrangement, not very crowded, and has a combo of all cuisines...The Chicken Lasagne & Mezze Platter was great!

1  Thank YLMIndia
Reviewed November 3, 2009

Along with Sancho's run by Chef Romero (which may currently be closed for renovation) this is the other pricey, high-profile Mexican restaurant in New Delhi. The interior is modern, very spacious and clean. But the cuisine does not match up to the architecture meaning fans of Mexican food will be sorely disappointed.

The first warning came with the complimentary nachos which were bland and oily. The frijoles looked like they come out of a can and were watered down. The veg burrito tasted totally North Indian, not Mexican. Also tried the polo sauce, which was a lackluster imitation of the real thing.

Amigo is fine for some margaritas (for an extra cost they will make them with decent tequila, not the bottom shelf bottles) and salsa dancing but it's not the place to bring lovers of Mexican food.