“Best food experience in Delhi”
Review of Gunpowder - CLOSED

Gunpowder
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Peninsular Kitchen: Covering The Indian Peninsula Which Includes Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Goa, And Parts Of Maharashtra
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We went to Gunpowder for the first time after having heard and read so much about the place. What a fantastic experience! I can honestly say that it was the best food I've had in all my time in India. Every dish was as delicious as the last. The service was fast and the staff very helpful. I cant wait to go back. Booking is a must, but I highly recommend anyone visiting Delhi to visit Gunpowder.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

This place exceeded my expectations in terms of the taste of food they served. Having visited a number of different South Indian restaurants, I did not expected this one to be a lot different, but they really are, starting from their rasam to serving the food on a banana leaf, it was overall an excellent and tasty experience. Their "tiffin thali"(or something like that name) is a must have. The thali gives you a variety of food in enough quality. Do not forget to try "paan" on your way out ;)

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Staying in Janpura there did not seem to be many readily available dinner options so we thought we would pop down to the Hauz Khas village as there seemed to be a few promising options without having to head into town.

When we got to Hauz Khas we were suitable impressed with how busy it was and it was quite different to the small bits of Delhi we had seen so far. What remained a mystery was where you could find Gunpowder. After walking round for 20 minutes, going up various murky alley ways and mysterious passages we finally struck gold. To be fare if was around 22:00 by this point and massively jet lagged, which did not help with our search. Down a particularly dark and grimly alley, and past a few dogs we managed to find our way to gunpowder and were thankfully able to get a couple of seats.

The menu is relatively straightforward South Indian fare, and very tasty. The gram dish was my favourite, very succulent lentils and the sweet and sour pumpkin was a nice foil to some of the fiery chutneys we ordered. The Paratta was deliciously buttery and the tamarind rice and unelected treat. All of it had just the right balance if spice and heat, although I did order some yoghurt curd for the missus which went down a treat.

All in all a very tasty dinner, polite service and didn't break the bank. My only suggestion is that a couple of signs wouldn't go a miss as it was a pain to find.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

In the two months I've been in Delhi so far, this is hands down the best restaurant I've been to. Great food, friendly service and very good value for money. Try to get a tabel with view!

1  Thank wicketo
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I visited the place once had very tasty lunch. Beef fry and Avial with the rice was yummy. Got a very good view if you manage to get the table looking towards the lake.
Only drawback of the place is that who ever running is very chilled out so Monday is a holidays and the last order for lunch is taken at 2.45 and if you reach at 2.46 order will not be taken. Then till late evening no service.