“Bathroom Problems” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #293 of 706 Hotels in New Delhi
JAKARTA
“Bathroom Problems”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2011

I have a two days trip to Delhi end of September. It's strictly business so no luxury or posh hotel, just something nice and functional and the Hilton was selected mainly because of its competitive rate and I booked a standard room with breakfast inclusive.

Arriving

I booked a hotel car and was picked up at the airport by the driver. The car was no limousine but just a simple Toyota van. Well, at least the aircon was working which is nice since I had to walk from the terminal to the car park with the driver and the weather was humid and hot. My first experience of India was the road to the hotel which was very bumpy. The trip to the hotel was interesting as my driver horn non-stop throughout the journey while steering left and right to avoid the large potholes on the road as well as to overtake other cars. Later I learned that most of the roads in India are like that and that’s the way people drive here.

The lobby of the hotel was grand and nice. Security was very tight which is the same everywhere in Delhi and my bags were taken from me for extensive screening before I can check in. On arrival, the hotel staff who checked me in proudly announced that I was upgraded to the Executive Room with free access to Executive Lounge and complimentary internet included as a perk of my Hilton Gold Status. Well, that’s good to hear after enduring a 5 hours flight and and a bumpy 45mins car ride.

The Room

The room was well… quite OK. The photos on the website looks nicer but the actual room wasn’t that much different. I think the size is about 30m2. There’s a King Bed, a working desk and a large LCD which sits on the desk and takes up a lot of space. Two sofa chairs in the room for resting and reading. The hotel provides complimentary mineral water, tea and coffee, a fruit platter and some chocolates. The bed is quite comfortable, though nothing luxurious. It’s good for a night of peaceful rest. Wired and Wireless internet provided but the wireless internet signal is not strong, and I have to use my own wireless router instead. Internet speed is reasonably fast but I won’t call that high-speed. The aircon was faulty and the temperature was set at a chilling 20 DegC which cannot be changed. I also don't like the lighting as the bedside lamp were useless ( too dim ) and the overhead spot lights blindly bright which means I can't read or browse my iPad while in the bed. Room was reasonably quiet during my stay but I suspect that’s because of the low occupancy. What’s really nice about the room is that there’s lots of universal plugs sockets to charge your stuff.

The bathroom is very small, probably no more than 6 or 7m2. Yet the hotel still managed to fit in a walk-in shower and a full size bathtub. While there is a rainshower, the water pressure is inadequate. There is no handshower which is a pet peeve of me. A big minus. Worse, the bathroom was flooded everytime I use the walk-in shower. Water leaked out from the glass door and pour into the bathroom floor after a 5 mins shower and especially bad near the toilet bowl. I have to placed the extra towels on the floor to soak up the water everytime. The bathrobes and towels are small size and looks like they have been used for years and never changed. It has that “dark stained” look as a result, kind of yucky. There’s also fairly extensive wear and tear throughout the room, a sign of poor or lack of maintenance.

The Common Areas, Club Lounge and Location

The hotel has a large over-size lobby with generous sitting areas and sofas to conduct business meetings. I didn’t tried any of the restaurants though there are many. The club lounge is small but cozy. The food served in the club lounge during evening cocktail are tiny in portions but the variety is not bad, even if the quality is lacking.

The hotel is not located in central Delhi, which explained the lower rates. Nearby there is a dilapidated looking mall with some shops and restaurants. I was there on business and most of the time, I was outside so I was not really bothered by the location. There’s a subway station right opposite the hotel. The surroundings are well... very local Indian.

The Service

Well, I should credit the hotel staff for at least trying to provide good service. The staff always greeted me politely and try to be helpful. The lounge staff are especially friendly and courteous. However, efficiency can be improved. It took me almost 20 mins to settle my hotel bill due to some errors and inconsistency between my original booking and the billing in the hotel. Fortunately I settled my bill the evening prior to departure. I did complain about the flooding problem in my bathroom which the staff took note and apologize but then didn’t follow up or do anything to solve the problem. Next time, if you want to ask your guest for feedback, please prepare at least to make an effort to address the complaint by some action.

Conclusion

The Hilton is a decent choice for a short business trip. It’s reasonably well equipped for business travelers but there are too many small faults here and there for me to really recommend it. So I will just rate it an average 3 out of 5.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank BENLEE123
RubalChaudhry, General Manager at Piccadily Hotel New Delhi, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Greetings from Hilton New Delhi/Janakpuri

Please accept my sincere apologies for all the inconvenience this may have caused. Would like to assure you that this is not indicative of the standards that the hotel maintains and the issue has been highlighted to the concerned departments so that corrective measures can be taken.

Thank you once again for staying with us. We hope you will give us another try on your next trip to Delhi.

Sincerely, Rubal Chaudhry, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2011

Very nice hotel with courteous staff members. The selection of drinks and food at the lounge during happy hour was very good. The room was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Greetings from Hilton New Delhi/Janakpuri

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I was glad to hear that the facilities provided on our Executive floor were able to meet your expectations. Thank you once again for your patronage of Hilton New Delhi / Janakpuri. We hope to be of service to you again in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

When we arrived and checked in no-one even greeted us, they were to engrossed looking at their computers.
The swimming pool was closed when we arrived and I had to have massive arguments with 3 separate managers before I could get a clear answer about when it would be open. I was told it would be "open in 4 hours" but it was still closed when I left a day later. The managers where rude and arrogant.
The people in the spa spoke poor English, when I asked them a question they just said "yes" even though it was clear they had no idea what I was asking.
As a family we had booked 3 rooms and in all of the rooms there were complimentary items missing, (and they forgot to refill the tea/coffee tray). The bath robes were ripped and in poor condition. There was no complimentary shower gel which is pretty tacky for a 5* hotel.
The showers were AWFUL, the water just dribbles out the shower head.
I was also annoyed that room service didn't deactivate the alarm on the clock meaning that on my first morning I was woken up at 5.30am.

When we asked at reception about the distance to a nearby restaurant the receptionist said "there is no way you can walk" whilst the concierge said "it is easily within walking distance". You could not get a straight answer out of any of these guys.

The waiters were pretty useless, they couldn't even pour tea out a pot without dribbling it all over the table and they kept taking our cutlery away without giving us a fresh set.

In summary management staff were arrogant and the rest of the staff where pretty incompetent. I would really not recommend this hotel at all, regardless of whether your stay is for business or pleasure. During our stay in India we stayed in 5 hotels and everyone in my family (6 people, with 4 grown-up children) agreed that this hotel was by far the worst. If you are staying in Delhi I really recommend Le Meridien because we stayed there for 2 nights and it was absolutely excellent. (the staff where so friendly and respectful and the breakfast buffet was awesome). On the last day of our stay at the Hilton the staff tried to make amends for their awful service after our repeated complaints but by that time we where too annoyed for it to have any real impact.

I've also just remembered that the internet (which you had to pay for) kept turning off and unsurprisingly the staff where not in the least concerned.
Also, the location is not very good. It is in a fairly dreary and boring part of Delhi.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Arv99
RubalChaudhry, General Manager at Piccadily Hotel New Delhi, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Greetings from Hilton New Delhi/Janakpuri

Your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us is highly appreciated and the time taken to provide me with these details is of utmost importance to us. We are so sorry for any inconveniences you experienced while staying with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies that the service provided to you did not meet with your expectations. The different service gaps that you identified during your stay are very concerning especially how our teams handle certain situations.

Although we are a large hotel operation, guest satisfaction is a high priority for us, an area that we repeatedly train on and follow up, in an effort to sustain a high level of service throughout the hotel and allow travellers such as yourself, have a pleasant but also productive and hustle free stay. Your valid points will be shared with our team and I am certain will be of great help to us.

Once again thank you for highlighting the issues to us. We hope to see you back at the hotel soon so that you are able to judge our commitment to excellence yourself.

Travelers are raving about these New Delhi hotels

San Pedro Garza Garcia, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

After a long road trip our welcome was an upgrading to an executive floor room derived apparently from my HHonors membership. From then on, the friendly and efficient service received from all the staff: entrance, front desk, housekeeping, and with a special mention, the executive lounge, was always impeccable. The amenities of the room and the décor of the property are amazing. Now, there is a new Hilton in Delhi, but if I return to this city it will be hard to decide booking the new one instead of returning to this property. It will not be easy to exceed the outstanding service and ambiance of the Hilton Janakpuri.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mlgtrips
Greetings from Hilton New Delhi/Janakpuri

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I was glad to hear that you enjoyed many of the facilities and services provided by the hotel. Feedback such as yours helps to further meet and exceed the expectations of our guests and we greatly appreciate it.

Thank you once again for your patronage of Hilton New Delhi / Janakpuri. We hope to be of service to you again in the near future.

New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

This hotel has everything you want and is good value for money. If you are a Hilton Honors gold or platinum the executive floor is great. The "Magic" button is always at your service to to help you at any time. The staff is friendly and helpful.

The only slightly negative thing about the hotel is location depending upon what you want to see. Downtown Delhi is a good 20-30 car ride and the location adds another hour to the drive to Taj Mahal. We did the one day trip to Agra and it was a very long day 5+ hours each way to the Taj Mahal, granted most of this was because of typical India traffic.

On the location plus side it is close to the airport.

Room Tip: Would ask for a room in the back away from the street.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank hawaiifred
RubalChaudhry, General Manager at Piccadily Hotel New Delhi, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Greetings from Hilton New Delhi/Janakpuri

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment about our hotel.

I was glad to hear that you enjoyed many of the facilities and services provided by the hotel and that your experience at Hilton New Delhi / Janakpuri was enjoyable. The exclusive and welcoming Executive Lounge has been designed to offer an atmosphere that is both relaxed and enjoyable.

It is feedback such as yours, which helps to further meet and exceed the expectations of our guests, and we greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again for staying with us. We look forward to your next visit.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

The Hilton Delhi is just a year old but it is an excellent 5 star option situated close to the Delhi domestic and international airport.

The lobby is very grand and the rooms are very cosy. The hotel is located in the posh Janakpuri area and hence there is everything right from malls to restaurants next to the hotel.

The station is just opposite and hence you can also catch the metro to reach any part of Delhi quickly.

I would definitely give this luxury staying option 5 stars.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank namastecitytour
Greetings from Hilton New Delhi/Janakpuri

I was glad to hear that you enjoyed the services provided by the hotel and would like to thank you for your positive comments about your experience at Hilton New Delhi / Janakpuri.

madrid
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

I was travelling with my wife on our first trip to India, and decided to go to a good western hotel the last day of our stay.

I made a booking through booking.com, because there was a good price for the night. A couple of days later, I received an email from the hotel informing that my credit card had bounced, and that the reservation would not be held if I did not supply a new credit card. Unfortunately, internet access is not something easy to obtain when you are travelling around India by train, so I read that a few days later, and looking at the total expense of the trip, decided not to provide a new one and therefore lose the reservation. (May I remind you this was a prepaid booking, not a standard reservation).

What is my surprise at my return, when I see that I have been charged for a full night stay. That means after they knew my credit card had bounced, they kept trying to rip me off my money, without my consent.

I have tried to discus this matter with a man called Parul Gera, but he seems to be a machine, because he keeps answering the same things over and over again: hotel policy.

In any place in the world, when booking a PREPAID service, if a card gets rejected, the service remains unbooked. If I book a plane ticket online and my CCard gets rejected, I don't get the ticket, as simple as that. But specially, I don't have to worry about the airline trying to charge my credit card until it goes through!!. That is illegal, and not "hotel policy".

I will take this complaint to the customer care service somewhere else, seeing that it's impossible to discuss any matter with this Hilton hotel in particular.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank yocastus
RubalChaudhry, General Manager at Piccadily Hotel New Delhi, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Greetings from Hilton New Delhi / Janakpuri.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel.

As discussed all necessary measures have been taken to rectify the concern. Hope that this situation has not damaged your confidence in staying with us.

We look forward to welcoming you in the not too distant future.