“Fantastic place to stay”
Review of Sham Nath Villa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sham Nath Villa
Ranked #3 of 1,095 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Colorado
“Fantastic place to stay”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed here last January with my wife and daughter. (Sorry I took so long to write the review Shalina, but we were traveling). As all the other reviewers emphasize, this has to be one of the best places to stay in New Delhi.

We were treated like members of the family, and it was so interesting to talk with Shalini every evening about our experiences that day and about India in general. Shalini is a very warm and intelligent woman, and staying in her house, we felt we were guests in a home from another era.

Was room was private, and we had a lot of space to ourselves in which to roam, including a kitchen, balcony and out-sized sitting area.

The food here is so good we saw no reason to eat elsewhere.

Everything was reasonably and fairly priced.

Shalina -- I enjoyed our conversations so much. I hope to return some day. Maybe I will see you in England!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Marcus777
Shamnath, Owner at Sham Nath Villa, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
A very warm thank you for your wonderful and kind comments . It gives us immense pleasure on reading such views and makes us want to do ever better for our guests .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Shalini has a loyal following and, having experienced her wonderful hospitality at Sham Nath Villa, it is easy to see why. Home stays are all about feeling welcome in another persons home - andShalini has elevated this to the highest standard. Nothing is too much trouble and every guest receives individual care and attention. When you are putting together your own itinerary sound advice and introductions to reliable guides, drivers, etc. are hugely appreciated.

We will not hesitate to book again for our next Delhi trip, and hope that it will be very soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
, Owner at Sham Nath Villa, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Sarah -- Thank you so much for your lovely warm comments . We and Rekha really enjoyed sharing our history with such avid historians . Looking forward to having you with us again .
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We arrived in Delhi in the early hours and were totally overwhelmed. After a hair-raising taxi ride (my advice would be to have a car arranged by the hotel) we arrived at Sham Nath Villa which was an oasis of calm, and despite the early hour we were welcomed by Shalini, given breakfast and were able to access our room. Shalini then organised our metro cards, gave us an itinerary and off we went to discover Delhi;as the metro is an easy walk away getting around is very easy. We ate there each evening as the food and company were so good. I can't add any more to all the brilliant reviews except to say that I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in Delhi.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Sham Nath Villa, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you Kathrine for your lovely and encouraging comments . Hope the rest of your holiday went well . Looking forward to seeing you again soon .
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I couldn't imagine visiting Delhi and not staying at Sham Nath Villa. Shalini and her family are so genuinely welcoming. In particular, Shalini's hospitality and warmth is second to none. Sham Nath Villa is such a retreat in this incredible city. The majority of the reviews have said it all, right down to the easy access to metro which makes exploring Delhi easy, the superb meals served, the spacious rooms, the beautiful garden which re-energises you after a long day, it really is all of this and more.
Shalini's guidance on touring this amazing city was incredible, the historical knowledge and advice passed to us made for touring with ease and confidence.
The service was exceptional, the rooms clean, well appointed and spacious, the location perfect and the food brilliant.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
, Owner at Sham Nath Villa, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your compliments . We enjoyed having you all stay with us and look forward to your next visit . We promise to make it even more memorable .
Augsburg, Germany
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stayed with Shalini and Arun for almost a week in early March, mostly because I attended a conference at nearby Delhi University. The university is easily accessible by metro, which is less than 5 minutes walk out the property gates. (Metro is easy, clean and safe.) But it's the hosts who make this place special. Although she was about to undergo surgery, Shalini made sure I was well-settled, eating enough, getting the help in negotiating the city that a traveler might want. The breakfasts, which are included, were substantial; the dinners when I had them were excellent. Especially recommended for women traveling alone.

Room Tip: I most like rooms with a balcony, but most have excellent light. Bathrooms are all well ventilated...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
, Owner at Sham Nath Villa, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Many thanks for your appreciative and warm comments . We will look forward to having you stay with us again .
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I don't plan to be wordy, but would emphasise that the reviews below are spot on. Not only does shamnath deliver superbly on the basics, but the welcome, hospitality and help we received were second to none. This changed our Delhi trip from being a nervous first time to a truly magnificent experience; with Arun and Shalini guiding and helping us all the way. We felt like family. I can offer no higher accolade and words fail me to say how great this place is. Vv highly recommended

• Stayed March 2013
, Owner at Sham Nath Villa, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Thank you so much for your encouraging and warm comments . It was our honour to have such wonderful guests like you . Really look forward to having you stay with us again .
Wigan
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My 3 day stay in Delhi was nothing short of magical. My short stay in this mesmerising and hypnotic metropolis was made all that bit extra special by the comfort, hospitality and convenience of the fantastic Shamnath Villa. I cannot speak highly enough of the hosts Mrs Shamnath (Shalini) and Mr Shamnath.

By the time that I arrived, I was tired, thirsty, hungry and very disorientated by my tiresome and eventful journey from Kathmandu. Mr Shamnath greeted me and made me feel instantly welcome by offering me a refreshing drink and some tasty chai tea. He then took time to have a chat and helped me decide upon an itinerary for the remainder of the day. Unfortunately, I was so exhausted that I decided to just eat local and then relax in my room. However, my hosts were eager for me to optimise my stay so they offered for me to join another small group of guests to visit a few local sights escorted by the families personal driver in their air conditioned Mercedes. There was no charge for this trip and it turned out to be a great way to ease me into the wonderful city of Delhi.

Each day Shalini would help me organise my itinerary, even giving me her personal mobile number should I need any help on the hop (which I did). I also ate dinner at the guesthouse for each night of my stay and after the fantastic, wholesome home cooked food, I would sit and chat with Shalini about the events of my day. I found her to be an excellent source of advice and assistance.

The house and grounds themselves are also very impressive and I felt privileged to be staying at Shamnath. My room was in the main house, it was spacious, cool, clean and perfect for me to recharge my batteries before each days cultural attack on Delhi.

Thank you Shamnath, in my view the only place to stay in Delhi. I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
, Owner at Sham Nath Villa, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Guest
Thanks for your encouraging remarks . We enjoyed you having stay with us and wish to see you again at Shamnathvilla.