“Excellent B and B; very good location, fantastic hosts”
Review of Sham Nath Villa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sham Nath Villa
Ranked #3 of 1,076 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Augsburg, Germany
“Excellent B and B; very good location, fantastic hosts”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stayed with Shalini and Arun for almost a week in early March, mostly because I attended a conference at nearby Delhi University. The university is easily accessible by metro, which is less than 5 minutes walk out the property gates. (Metro is easy, clean and safe.) But it's the hosts who make this place special. Although she was about to undergo surgery, Shalini made sure I was well-settled, eating enough, getting the help in negotiating the city that a traveler might want. The breakfasts, which are included, were substantial; the dinners when I had them were excellent. Especially recommended for women traveling alone.

Room Tip: I most like rooms with a balcony, but most have excellent light. Bathrooms are all well ventilated...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
, Owner at Sham Nath Villa, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Many thanks for your appreciative and warm comments . We will look forward to having you stay with us again .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I don't plan to be wordy, but would emphasise that the reviews below are spot on. Not only does shamnath deliver superbly on the basics, but the welcome, hospitality and help we received were second to none. This changed our Delhi trip from being a nervous first time to a truly magnificent experience; with Arun and Shalini guiding and helping us all the way. We felt like family. I can offer no higher accolade and words fail me to say how great this place is. Vv highly recommended

• Stayed March 2013
, Owner at Sham Nath Villa, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Thank you so much for your encouraging and warm comments . It was our honour to have such wonderful guests like you . Really look forward to having you stay with us again .
Wigan
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My 3 day stay in Delhi was nothing short of magical. My short stay in this mesmerising and hypnotic metropolis was made all that bit extra special by the comfort, hospitality and convenience of the fantastic Shamnath Villa. I cannot speak highly enough of the hosts Mrs Shamnath (Shalini) and Mr Shamnath.

By the time that I arrived, I was tired, thirsty, hungry and very disorientated by my tiresome and eventful journey from Kathmandu. Mr Shamnath greeted me and made me feel instantly welcome by offering me a refreshing drink and some tasty chai tea. He then took time to have a chat and helped me decide upon an itinerary for the remainder of the day. Unfortunately, I was so exhausted that I decided to just eat local and then relax in my room. However, my hosts were eager for me to optimise my stay so they offered for me to join another small group of guests to visit a few local sights escorted by the families personal driver in their air conditioned Mercedes. There was no charge for this trip and it turned out to be a great way to ease me into the wonderful city of Delhi.

Each day Shalini would help me organise my itinerary, even giving me her personal mobile number should I need any help on the hop (which I did). I also ate dinner at the guesthouse for each night of my stay and after the fantastic, wholesome home cooked food, I would sit and chat with Shalini about the events of my day. I found her to be an excellent source of advice and assistance.

The house and grounds themselves are also very impressive and I felt privileged to be staying at Shamnath. My room was in the main house, it was spacious, cool, clean and perfect for me to recharge my batteries before each days cultural attack on Delhi.

Thank you Shamnath, in my view the only place to stay in Delhi. I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
, Owner at Sham Nath Villa, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Guest
Thanks for your encouraging remarks . We enjoyed you having stay with us and wish to see you again at Shamnathvilla.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We recently spent two weeks at Sham Nath Villa in New Delhi and we couldn't have asked for a better experience. The inn is ideally located in the Heritage corridor of New Delhi, mere steps from the Civil Lines metro station (along the yellow line). Using the metro, we were able to get to virtually every tourist/shopping locale in Delhi with relative ease.

The property itself is a perfect base for either a business or holiday stay. The rooms are spacious and well-kept, and the service staff was kind and helpful. Each morning a delicious made-to-order breakfast was prepared for us at the time of our choosing. Further, foreign travelers seeking a lighter option than typical restaurant meals will appreciate the ability to order lunch and dinner at the Villa. In addition to the guest rooms, the property has several comfortable, common seating areas and a beautiful garden space where one can enjoy the afternoon sun.

What made our stay all the more enjoyable, however, were our hosts, Shalini Ji and Arun Ji. Over the course of our two week stay,Shalini Ji and Arun Ji were very gracious, striving to make sure our stay was as comfortable, relaxing, and as productive as possible. Our visit coincided with a wedding we were attending in Delhi. Shalini Ji not only gave us tips on where we could complete our shopping, but often went out of her way to make sure we found exactly what we were looking for. When we needed to complete some tailoring, Shalini Ji made arrangements for a tailor to visit us at the property. When we needed to hire a car, Arun Ji helped us with our requests.

After arriving back home and reflecting upon our stay in Delhi, we could not have been happier with our decision to stay at the Sham Nath Villa. We not only had a memorable experience, but we found a true home away from home. We would not think of staying anywhere else in Delhi on future trips. We cannot wait to return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
, Owner at Sham Nath Villa, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Tanu
Thanks for your encouraging comments . We are happy we could make your stay with us as comfortable as possible . Hope to see you again soon .
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed here on the recommendation of a NRI (non-resident Indian) friend of mine, and am delighted that I did so. Shalini is an incredibly gracious, caring, and knowledgeable hostess, and will move mountains to ensure you enjoy your stay in Delhi. She gave me helpful advice on where to eat, what to see, and how to get around. On my first day in town, she even had one of her staff drive me to a nearby park so I wouldn't get lost. Towards the end of my stay, I had the pleasure of accompanying her and her friends on their daily walk around the same park, where they've been feeding stray dogs for years. She is so kind.

It is a testament to Shalini's able care that many of her guests are repeat visitors, sometimes staying for months on end.

Finally, I highly recommend taking a walking tour of Delhi with a friend of Shalini's named Surekha Narin. Ask Shalini for details.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank LingBKK
, Owner at Sham Nath Villa, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thanks for your warm comments . It was our pleasure to host you in our house . We are happy that you enjoyed your stay as much as we enjoyed having you over . Hope to see you again soon .
Seattle
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We had a lovely stay at Sham Nath for the start and end of our tour of India. This was the perfect choice to ease into India with Shalina, the owner, providing a tour plan for each of our days with her. The best reason to visit Sham Nath is the wonderful hospitality!

The houses are beautiful and very spacious - one room we had opened out to a balcony overlooking one of the gardens and the second room was on a ground floor with access to sit in the main garden. I wish we had longer time to spend here. Breakfasts included eggs cooked to your specifications and toast, juice, tea, coffee. You could order dinner, which we did one night. We had a wonderfully cooked Indian meal. At other times, Shalina would send us a special treat or dish to try - very sweet!

The location in the city is very convenient - we were just a block from the Metro line and Shalina even had passes from previous guests for our use. The only small issue were some pretty hard mattresses - but this seemed to be the case throughout most of India (we must be spoiled by our mattresses at home!). We would love to stay with Shalina at Sham Nath again should we be in Delhi in the future. Thanks!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
, Owner at Sham Nath Villa, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thanks for your encouraging and warm comments . We enjoyed hosting you in our house and look forward to your next visit ,
New York
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Our stay in Sham Nath Villa was lovely and very peaceful. Shalani is a great hostess, very welcoming and knowledgeable about the city. The room was large and comfortable, and the house has several common areas where you can relax with a nice hot cup of tea. There is a lovely public park (Kamla Nehru Ridge) within walking distance, and lots of conveniences close at hand (ATM, small grocery store, a few restaurants, etc). Most importantly, the Civil Lines metro station is just steps from the front door, making travel to the rest of the city incredibly quick and convenient. We would recommend Sham Nath especially to first-time visitors to Delhi: tranquil yet well-connected, and the staff take evident care and pride in ensuring your stay will be memorable as well as comfortable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple