“Horrible place to stay”
Review of Hotel Payal

Hotel Payal
Ranked #256 of 736 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I am really shocked why this hotel gets so many positive reviews?!We booked it trusting the positive feedback on the web site, but it turned out a nightmare. The rooms a funnily locked with big old fashioned padlocks,it was very dusty,layers of dust, bed sheets were not white but grey. We asked for the sheets to be changed, but we got exactly the same 'off white' bed sheets.You can see the mould on the walls..A bit annoying was the fan,it was loud, and wobbly, as if it was about to drop on our heads any time. The view from our window was awful. I only then realised we stayed in a slum area..see picture attached.There was no breakfast provided as promised. The staff was quiet helpful, as they did arrange us a driver and helped us organise trips arould Delhi. Not all of them spoke good English though, and if you have something to complain about you won't get any refund or compensation. If you are looking to spend budget holiday, that's the place for you, otherwise I wouldn't advise this hotel./

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank edyta w

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Hotel Payal is your average hotel in a rough section of Delhi. My sheets were clean, the floors, and bathroom were clean. Not squeaky clean, but clean enough. This was my first time in India so I thought the hot water and bathroom light were not working but I just didn't know the proper switch combination.

I was surprised they had free wi-fi that worked well in my room. Just remember to ask for the password.

As to helpfulness of the staff, they weren't particularly helpful but they probably would have been if I asked. After check out I did ask if I could keep my large bag there while I explored Delhi and they agreed, no problem.

They only real negative I have is the location. This was my first trip to India and I was doing it alone. Taking a rickshaw at night into this street was a bit scary for me and so was navigating it alone the next morning. If you are a seasoned backpacker or not traveling solo, then Pahar Ganj may be a great area to do some exploring! Apparently I was too green to fully appreciate the area. Perhaps once I travel more I will like the area more, but until then I will not be back to stay in the area. I will shell out the extra money to stay somewhere that I feel more comfortable.

All and all, the hotel was safe and clean. Dependable and basic with the added luxury of Wi-fi and a western toilet.

Room Tip: It is worth the extra money to have your own bathroom with a Western toilet. If you don't mind s...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank abyars00
Reviewed August 6, 2012

It was gr8 experience staying at hostel payal. The location is perfect, staffs are very friendly and helpful. My flight was 2 hrs late but the guy was still there at the airport to pick me up. The room was ready as soon as I arrived. This area is very popular for bag packers and lot of restaurants, shopping around. Metro and Train station is very close. I think the train to Agra was less 10 mins walk from the Hostel. The travel desk at the hostel was very helpful as well.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank irina l
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Hotel Payal is your perfect backpacker hotel...!!! Moreover, the place is in a great location (near New Delhi train --- 3-5 minutes by walk), awesome price for the value (as of the time of visit in July 2012 prices were Rs. 200-500 per night --- ~US$4-10), and the staff is very friendly/helpful (staff speaks English, Japanese, Indian, French, etc.). If I come back to New Delhi...I am definitely staying hear again (given I have traveled or lived in over +50 different countries...this is saying a lot about the quality of this place).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank SoloSeat
Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

Location is good.
Staffs are kind and friendly.
Room is not so clean.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank okam623
Reviewed April 4, 2012

It was gr8 experience staying at hotel payal. The location is perfect, staffs are very friendly and helpful. My flight was 2 hrs late but the guy was still there at the airport to pick me up. The room was ready as soon as I arrived. This area is very popular for bag packers and lot of restaurants, shopping around. Metro and Train station is very close. I think the train to Agra was less 10 mins walk from the Hostel. The travel desk at the hostel was very helpful as well.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chrissie A
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Had a really easy and relaxed stay in New Delhi at Hotel Payal.
Rooms are cheap, simple, clean and functional and the staff are very helpful with anything you may have to ask about; including booking trains, getting to places and finding the right bars.
It's a great place for backpackers looking for a base camp in New Delhi.
Hope you enjoy!