Hotel Amax Inn
$59
$136
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrooftop restauranthot waterarakashan roadtrain stationrooms are cleanbudget hotelmain bazaarpaharganj areatoilet paperfirst stoproom serviceairport pickvisit delhiwi fihotel staffcomfortable stayconnaught place
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Our arrival in New Delhi was not great, we had a tout/taxi driver trying to tell us the roads were closed and that they couldn't find our hotel, so we rang the hotel to find that they were still in existence and waiting for our arrival. This seem to freak out the tout who departed our taxi and our driver then miraculously remembered where to go!

When we arrived, more than a little dishevelled from a long flight, the staff helped us carry our bags up to a lovely clean room which was staff and secure.

The next morning they moved us as we were in one of the more expensive rooms (and hadn't requested this) but it wasn't a problem as this room was also clean and tidy with hot shower.

They have wi-fi downstairs and a rooftop restaurant with a reasonable priced menu.

The staff are really helpful and friendly, we didn't need to but if you want them to they can book all manner of onward journeys/tours etc.

Tip: Ignore the people that latch onto you as soon as you depart the hotel asking where you are from etc, they are touts (not connected to the hotel) who should be ignored.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TomHPhoto
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I found the Hotel Amax Inn, when I was searching for a medium priced yet still affordable Hotel option in the Paharganj-/Ram Nagar area. For years I had been a faithful client, returning to another Hotel in Arakashan Rd. again and again despite tariff hikes and seemingly never ending construction sites within the Hotel itself. Flag fall came for me when I realized, that I was supposed to pay something like 40 € (2500 Rs ) for a standard AC room while breakfast would be another 280 Rs. So, with me staying already at some other place in India I skipped the idea of returning to the said Hotel.

I needed a room, preferably in the Arakashan Road of Ram Nagar. Close enough to everything yet not so congested and without the hectic frenzy of nearby Paharganj. It should be safe (not only in the sense of a secure door-locking but also in the sense of trustworthy), clearly a big step above some rock-bottom end backpacker’s hostels around, with an atmosphere that invites you to relax and shed-off the hectic of outside Delhi. AC is a must; combined with a clean bathroom where you do not have the fear a rat could be crawling out of the sink. If that all meets a room ambience, that invites you to stay, with clean linen, a working TV a window, all that at a tariff that does not render you bankrupt – fine, deal.
I searched the Internet, searched on Tripadvisor, got an idea and mailed the guys from the Hotel Amax Inn for a tariff quote – despite some reviews which made me think. At the end it seemed to be a good compromise of the preconditions mentioned above. Reply was prompt, friendly and reassuring.

Finding the Hotel, despite me knowing the street of its location, was definitely a hit and miss affair. My rickshaw guy had no idea and I prepared myself for an extended search-the-hotel action, followed by complaints of my driver that it had cost him half a day’s time (which would have to be compensated, of course).
We just went into a long traffic-jam on Arakashan Road, my driver showed some shopkeepers a piece of paper with the Hotel’s name and address on it and after 5 minutes one of these guys pointed towards a building. It was well hidden in a tiny line, which hardly sees any sunlight, actually off Arakashan Rd. Pure luck we found it, I guess.
A more reproducible way description could sound like: Leave the New Delhi Railway Station to the right hand side. Walk under a bridge and continue straight forward. Ignore the first big road that appears immediately after the bridge, on your left hand side. Continue to walk straight for another 150 meters or so (a Temple at your right is the sign to change the roadside); until the next road meets the big street you are on – on your left hand side. That is Arakashan Road. Follow this road straight on for approx. 500 meters. You should have passed a small milk stall on your left side (not the one close to the Hotel Ajanta) with a sign like “all day toned milk stall”. It is followed by a couple of shops and STDs on the same roadside. Now keep your eyes to right where this tiny lane leaves Arakashan Rd., and by now anyone here can help.

When I turned up at the reception for check-in I did probably not look too representably, having a 26 hours bus ride behind me. I was kindly received though and I found my booking confirmed.
One of the owners stood at the reception and he gave me the option of paying a “little bit more” and therefore having an “even nicer one” than the one I had booked (that was a deluxe single w. bathroom/a.c. for 850 Rs.).
I saw both rooms, found the “little bit more” expensive one to be really nice and asked for a quote. I was quoted 1050 Rs. Plus 10 % tax, and at the end we settled it for 1050 Rs. including tax.

I grabbed my heavy gear, the boy who went with me was not really determined to assist and moved into the lift that took me one floor up to my room (107). What I got for my money was a spacious room with a well mattressed double bed and I stylish leopard skin style blanket. There was a refrigerator, a sitting area, the aircon was working smoothly and silently and there was a big flat screen TV. The wall’s colours were warm and the whole scenery was lightened by 10 plus L.E.D.s, which had to be operated from three different switch panels scattered over the room. The bathroom was small but very clean with nice tiles and stylish hardware. The best thing however: everything was clean. I felt I had made a good deal. A room with these features would probably have been labelled “executive suite” or so in my old Hotel, and would have surely set me back 2500 Rs. per night.

The rooftop restaurant is great and accordingly popular among the guests. At peak times it can be just a little bit too much – regarding the demands for a seat and regarding the capacity of the kitchen. You need to bring a little bit of patience, but I found the food served to be both really tasty and fair in price.
When needing assistance in the room or getting rid of the laundry, a telephone call ensured everything was attended to – promptly and orderly.
However, things still need some adjustments every here and there. It gives a funny feeling if the bell boy does not realize the guest, since his main activity is to play games on his mobile. The same applies to the internet service if you have to beg the guy to interrupt his fascinating pc game.

However, I found these small short comings to be acceptable keeping in mind the price difference to my last Hotel. At the end, in the middle of the night my reserved and prepaid taxi waited for me, on time, for 350 Rupees and took me to the Airport without fuss.
I have no hesitation in recommending this Hotel.

Room Tip: I had room 107. Big, with a window, facing backward to escape street noise. Rate was 1050 Rs single occupancy, in November 2012.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Oliver U
Reviewed December 14, 2012

The Amax Inn was a comfortable budget stay in Delhi.

We arrived in the middle of the night during Diwali and the staff had waited even though we were delayed at the airport.

It's in a fairly noisy area but the hotel is off the main Arakashan Road and our standard room was near the top of the building so the noise wasn't an issue.

The restaurant on the rooftop is lovely (and quiet away from Delhi madness) and you can chat with other guests. It does pretty good dishes with a large vegetarian section. The food is also cheap and the service was great.

The staff were helpful on check out as I hadn't shown my Agoda booking in the middle of the night when we arrived but it was cleared up without any extra charge.

They offer city tours and airport transfers at extra cost and although we didn't use the services I wouldn't hesitate to.

The area is pretty rough and ready but quite exciting for a first visit to India and Delhi, I didn't feel unsafe and it's 5 minutes walk away from New Delhi Rail Station and the main bazaar of Pahar Ganj.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Johnny M
Reviewed December 14, 2012

The Amax Inn is a real nice place to stay in Delhi as long as you give them notice a day or so ahead. Otherwise rooms are probably available but expensive.
All major sights can be reached easily and are not too far away.
The rooftop restaurant is a real treat, though WiFi is only available in the lobbs (maybe on the first floor also). The rooms were clean and hot water available if you let the water run long enough ;)
The staff is somewhat friendly and can help you with almost everything you might need

Room Tip: The rooms on the side of the reception seem to be generally better than the ones opposite the entrance
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Amax in October. The service was good, the rooms were clean for a budget hotel. The food served was also good. They could do a bit more with the rooftop. Unfortunately the hotel is not located in a good area and it somewhat tarnished our stay.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends