“Enter as a Guest , become as family member”
Review of Anikas Nest Delhi

Anikas Nest Delhi
Ranked #43 of 1,001 Specialty Lodging in New Delhi
Reviewed March 18, 2010

As a profession and passion I travels on business to most of the places in and out of India. No doubt I miss my home, my taste, my members and my sleep. But this ends when I reach to Delhi, because I find all these at Anikas Nest. I was guest only at the first time, next time on wards i am a member of Anikas family. I have freedom and privacy for my best relaxation at end of the day. Nice feelings when I laydown on wide bed, watching wide screen with multi channels, enjoying my favourite drinks from in room refrigirator. I get my favourite food, fresh and hot for my dinner. Anika & Kumar never given me a feeling as I am away from home. I entertrain my friends and colleagues at Anikas Nest as at my home. Kumar uncle care for me and take personal interest for my comfort and he always makes me to miss the Anikas Nest at other destinations expect at my home town. No need to recommend this palce for best comfort & stay, but joining myself with Anikas and uncle Kumar, as a family member I extend my invitiation to other Delhi guests to become member of Anikas' family and enjoy as at home
- B. MUNIRAJA, Country Manager, CADS SOFTWARE INDIA.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed March 16, 2010

We arranged to stay at Anikas nest by recommendation by a friend of Mr. Kumar. On arrival Mr.Kumar was very polite in showing us our rooms and settling us into his home. However since completely my trip to India i have learnt that in fact it felt a little as Mr. Kumar was attempting to rip 3 young girls off. The charge for the room was very over priced. My room which i shared with a friend was cold and damp. There were no blankets in the cupboard as Mr. Kumar suggested in a previous report as i myself did look for some. And the heating did not work as again i attempted to fix it. Me and my friend wore our entire wardrobe that we backpacked for our trip in bed as we were so cold.

When we arrived at Mr. Kumar's he provided us with a traditional india cuisine which was lovely, however we did only have one day in Delhi and Mr. Kumar made it very difficult for us to suggest that we would like to explore Delhi. While having food his dogs were constantly hassling us for food before one of them urinated on the wall beside us.

The morning when we had to leave for Agra, my friend was woken up at 07:00 which was earlier than the 08:00 wake up time that had been arranged the previous night. Only to be told that the new guests had arrived and that she had to vacant her asap so that it could be cleaned. We had paid for a room till 12:00 therefore she should not have been asked to vacant it at such an earlier as she was still in the process of getting ready. Her belongings were then put outside her room so that the other guests could put their things in the room. Our driver had been arranged for pick up at around 8:30, and Mr. Kumar kept insisting the night before that there was no rush and that our driver would wait with no problem. He did not provide us with juice and lunch for our journey as suggested. We did have breakfast with Mr. Kumar but cannot recall having cookies and gossipung with his other guests especialy as it was 0800 in the morning.

The price of the accomadation was very expensive for the type of room we had. For example we stayed in a beautiful apartment in Kerala looking over the beach for one thrid of the price that Mr. Kumar was asking for. He charged my friend extra for a night that she did not even stay there due to fher flight being cancelled then charged her an extra charge for her late arrival through the airport. How is this her fault and where is there anything in his advert that informs you if this occurs then charges will be incurred. It was also suggested by Mr. Kumar that we tip our driver 300 ruppees each for picking us up from the airport. I later on discovered that in fact this was way too much money to tip. The lonely planet book which was our and many other travellers bible while traveling states the reccomended amount that is generally advised and Mr. Kumar was expecting far too much.
Unfortunately this was a disappointing begining to our trip to India but is not a true picture of how wonderful India really is.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank check1983
KumarAnika, owner at Anikas Nest Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2010

These 3 girls, first timers to India, have perhaps and sadly misunderstood many things. We have answered in detail to their previous review. This time we try to keep it short. The ladies have no experience of Delhi, hence the comment that room is over priced. A simple search by internet savvy people will reveal this easily. We are competitively priced and are a great value. We had said that blankets are under the bed. Atleast this lady acknowledges the presence of heater in the room unlike her friend. Gadgets all over can be unfamiliar for travellers – simply asking us would have sorted it out.

It was our hospitality in engaging a conversation over the Indian breakfast not making difficult for our guests to go out. Hundreds of guests have stayed with us, none have had this problem. Playing with the dogs for a long time, feeding them now is a hassle! The dogs only play with people who are receptive else they simply go to their bed. These ladies were very friendly to them.

We standby what we have written before regarding early wake up. She was woken up because she had asked for the wake up call. Luggage was taken out only when the car arrived. Eatables, sandwiches, juice were provided to them. A long journey awaited them ahead – we were being helpful.

Kerala will be one third if not one fifth of Delhi prices. Delhi is expensive. Very expensive. If a person books a room for two nights, shows up on the second night due to delays on their travel part, one is liable to pay for both nights. This is international practice.

We wish the ladies well though cannot help feeling that we have been victim of jaundiced perspective.

Reviewed March 12, 2010

We read the great reviews of Anikas Nest and were not disappointed. Literally nothing was too much trouble and we were treated like royalty only better! My husband lost some of his diabetes medication en route. Mr. Kumar phoned his own doctor, who met my husband and Kumar at the pharmacy. Five minutes later, my husband had the same prescription he had in Canada.
If we arrived hungry from our travels, Anika fed us delicious Indian food at all hours. Kumar gave us a mobile phone to use during our country wide excursions which was very useful. He was also able to arrange a full refund for us from an unscrupulous tour company even though it was not affiliated with him. He advised us about sights and restaurants in Delhi that are off the beaten trail and utterly fantastic.
Their home is located across from a large, beautiful temple making it possible to sit on the balcony and watch ceremonies. Do yourself a favour and stay in this home with Kumar, Anika and their two adorable pomeranians, Whiskey and Tiny.
I cannot say enough about how kind and helpful this couple was. We will never stay anywhere else when we return!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2010

I am so glad to have discovered Anika's nest - I felt like part of the family from the moment I crossed the threshold! I even became good friends with their two little dogs!

The B&B is on the second floor (but they have an elevator) of a building in the heart of a posh section of Delhi (New Friend's Colony). There is balcony in the front (off the living room) that overlooks a lovely temple (across the street). From my room you could see a park with folks taking morning and afternoon walks.
Both rooms have private baths and are very spacious. Both rooms have AC units in the windows - but, I only used the ceiling fans (I'm not a huge fan of AC). The ceiling fans were fine - and, since the floors are marble, the rooms do not heat up a lot (at least not while I was there).

This is Anika and Kumar's home - and they lovingly share it with guests. They decided to start renting out rooms after their two elder boys got married and moved out.
I can not say enough about the warmth and friendliness of everyone! One night I really wanted a massage and Anika was kind enough to call the woman who does HER massages! She came right to the house - I don't think i have EVER slept better in my life!

I also loved the food - made by Anika and the kitchen helper - they were fabulous - home made and delicious! If you go - be sure to NOT request western food - the local food is so good... Anika will certainly make you a western breakfast or dinner, but you would be missing out on a wonderful local experience!

All in all a delightful stay - I highly recommend visiting Anika's Nest! Anyone having any questions about it is welcome to email me!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 28, 2010

Kumar & Anika run the B&B as a hobby. They truly went out of their way to understand what we wanted and then gave us all the help and advice we needed. We soon came to understand that Kumar is a sort of King in Delhi; he knows the best places to eat without getting poorly stomachs, what places to avoid, where to get clothes made, how best to get to places, how late to be (!) and so on. His advice turned out to always be spot on! He took us personally to various places in Delhi we would never had found on our own, or dared to go. At first when out with him we were a little concerned at the ‘top of the hierarchy’ way he dealt and negotiated with everybody – shops, drivers etc. But this is how things get done effectively in Delhi and believe me, Kumar is effective.

The food at Anikas Nest is fantastic. You wouldn’t believe to size and scope of the breakfast their new cook Raju serves up – and different every day. It’s no good saying “enough” either – the courses just keep coming! We only had one evening meal at Anikas Nest and it was superb. We tended to eat out in a couple of nearby places (of course recommended by Kumar) so we could see a bit of life. The Chinese/Japanese Lotus Pond gave us a little break from the spice by the way!

Although Kumar is King, I suspect his lovely wife Anika actually run things as most women do! She was very helpful giving us advice about the Punjabi wedding we had come to Delhi to attend.

If you want to experience a bit of real India rather than the sterile business hotels I normally frequent, then Anikas Nest is perfect. We really feel Kumar & Anika are friends now and we miss them both.
Mr Bob

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2010

The rooms are ok, although the bathroom was a little dirty with hairs all over the walls. The room was also freezing cold with absolutely no heating or extra blankets.
Other than that the hospitality was quite good with Mr Kumar giving us loads of food on arrival. It was a little awkward though as we were quite keen to get out and explore Delhi, but felt obliged to stay behind and sit and drink with him.
What I didnt like was the fact he charged me for two nights even though I only stayed in the room for one night (as my flight was delayed). He also woke me up at 0700hrs to ask me to get up and dressed as he had an other couple arriving. As I was having my breakfast he moved my things out of the room and I had to finish getting ready in my friends room as he had moved the new couple into my room even though check out time was supposed to be at twelve. The room certainly is not worth 50 pounds p/n. He also charged me 3000 rupees to be picked up at the airport ( which as it turns out is very expensive for Indian prices) and he also charged me a pick up late fee of 300 rupeees because the driver had to wait for me while I was stuck in customs.
All in all it was not really a good first impression of India, as I didnt really feel I could trust Mr Kumar at all. I also found it strange when he "lent" my friends 1000 rupeees then proceeded help him self to that money and tip his own hired staff. He told us the average tip was 300 rupees and he expected us to also tip the driver who picked us up from the airport( I found out later that this was far too much to be tipping somebody especially when I had already paid 3000 rupees plus the late fee of 300 rupees)
All in all I wouldnt recommend staying at Mr Kumars as Its well overpriced for what it is.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
KumarAnika, owner at Anikas Nest Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2010

There is a oil radiator/heater in the room. There are plenty of blankets in the closet. Apparently our guest missed it. Had she mentioned it, we would have shown her. We cannot run a b&b without these basic amenities, also a requirement of the licensing agency. As for hairs, our bathrooms are vigorously cleaned, maybe some brush bristles got left on the wall.

For our future guests we say, there is no obligation to stay behind and have food. A simple thank you and she could have gone in quick time.

Yes, we had booked two nights for her. We have only charged for that even if she came late due to flight delay and fail to see why should not she pay for it. Infact we held her room in trust as PayPal had declined her credit card, she was desperate, we said come whatsoever, even without deposit we shall hold a room for her.

Yes, I woke her up because her driver for Rajasthan tour was scheduled to come at 7.30 am, a time which she had arranged to avoid the morning rush hour Delhi traffic and had asked us to be the alarm clock. Travel fatigue perhaps makes her not remember this.

Breakfast (including juice) we packed for her, for her to eat in the car. Yes, our staff removed her packed luggage, to be kept in the car as already it was 7.45 am. The new couple was only sitting in the living room, having coffee and cookies with her, gossiping with each other. After her departure, we had to get the room cleaned (about 1 hour), then the room was given to the new guests – by that time she must have been 1/3rd on the way to Agra.

Worth of the room is her opinion. She has not seen or experienced other lodgings. No comments on this further. Airport pickup charge is a lie. Our website says it to be Rs. 900/- and it is 900/-. What can we say! Late fees of 300/- is nothing – more was spent on the parking due to her delayed flight (11 hours) – the driver waited and waited. These were the Delhi fog times.

She did not pay 3000/- rupees. Only 900/- plus 300/- towards tip – shared between two cars as two of her friends had come in an another car. 150/- per car is a very reasonable tip in IndiaWe thank the guest for the feedback, even though we have a different perspective.

She did not pay 3000/- rupees. Only 900/- plus 300/- towards tip – shared between two cars as two of her friends had come in an another car. 150/- per car is a very reasonable tip in India.

Reviewed January 31, 2010

I was referred to Anika's Nest by another B&B that did not have a room available for me on Christmas eve. I prepaid and arranged for pickup from the airport and was greeted by Mr. Kumar himself. If you get a ride with Mr. Kumar, you'll be entertained with some amusing/amazing stories about his other guests/family. I had a late (about 10:30 pm) Indian dinner with Ms. Anika. They had the yummiest little potatoes dish, wish I could have eaten more but it was late and I needed to rest from my long flight. Mr. Kumar showed me two rooms, both with giant beds and a mini-fridge with lots of juices and drinks. Mr. Kumar also showed me the large fridge in the kitchen which also had other drinks and ice cream too. I slept in the room near the main street. The bed was comfortable but I did find that the pillows had a lot of little hairs all over the covers so I slept with my silk liner. Otherwise, no problems. Woke up the next morning and had tea and cookies with Ms. Anika and Whiskey, who is a total sweetheart. Later on, we had an Indian-omelette breakfast (roti and fried egg) with chutney. Yummy chutney too. They have these Rani juice in a small can that has chunks of fruit that are simply delicious. I tried using my cell phone to call home to the States but it didn't work and Mr. Kumar helped me call home using the phone in the other bedroom. He even exchanged me 200 Rupees in change (10 Rupees each) so I could use them to tip more easily. Mr. Kumar also wrote down lots of great restaurants for me to try once I met up with my friends. I wish I had a more flexible schedule there so I could have followed more of Mr. Kumar's advice but it was great having been well taken care of my first night there.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
KumarAnika, Owner at Anikas Nest Delhi, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2010

We thank the guest for her nice review. A lovely lady. We respond for a small clarification. Till late night, she played with our child (Whisky - a cute pomerian dog) in her room. The hair she mentions must have been due to it. In any case, had she pointed it to us, we would have immediately changed the pillows.