“A great place and great people to stay with”
Review of Anikas Nest Delhi

Anikas Nest Delhi
Ranked #36 of 933 Specialty Lodging in New Delhi
Vancouver
“A great place and great people to stay with”
Reviewed June 13, 2009

My trip was partly business related and partly personal explorations in India. Before coming to Delhi, I had visited Mumbai and Pune as well. Mr. Kumar and his place was very different compare to most other places I had stayed in India. He was always eager and excited to help. His pricing was clear and didn’t charge for many additional things they provided. They had a friendly cook for the family and a helper who I could ask for Chai, fruit or sandwiches at anytime at no extra charges. They would even put melon and watermelon in the fridge for when I want a snack in the middle of the day. If you are lucky, you may also get to try his wife’s tasty Kir, a special rice pudding cooked slowly with cardamom. When I was sick for a day, they cooked me Kichiri and some other light food (and didn’t charge for it either). I had asked for healthy food so they made great effort to cook me brown rice/bread, and use less oil in preparation of food. A few times that I ate lunch or dinner at home, they cooked a few dishes for each meal and very tasty. Also if I wanted anything specific for breakfast or other meals, they were quiet happy to make them for me.

One of the perks of staying there was that he arranged for massages anytime of the day I asked for & right in my room. The little secret Mr. Kumar taught me was to leave the TV on when cricket matches were on & the massage person continued beyond the normal massage time and until the match was finished 
He also arranged for me to join his gym for the days that I stayed there & gave me access to the swimming pool at a private club. We ended up going to the gym most mornings together which was a good encouragement for me to stay on track with my exercises. He gave me a wake-up call 10 minutes before going to the gym and he drove us there and back. It was also nice to relax at the end of the exercise in the Sauna, and to talk about what places I could visit and what foods I should try in Delhi. By the way, if you are not vegetarian, try Karim’s restaurant while you are in Delhi. Mr. Kumar can tell you what to order at Karim’s. Actually, since I learned the Hindi word “Karak” from him as in “Roti Karak”, it made my experience of roti much more enjoyable i.e. toasted. He loves food so he can tell you all about different places to eat.
Getting a simple train ticket even from a travel agency was a hassle a few times I tried in other cities; but Mr. Kumar was able to make a phone call to an agent he knew and they even delivered the ticket to the house at no extra charge. Once I found a very good deal online for a flight ticket to Leh in Ladakh, but the local website didn’t let me use my Canadian issued credit card. Mr Kumar was very kind and offered his credit card to use; otherwise I might have lost the special price.

By the way after I stayed for more than 10 days at Anika’s Nest, I went to Rishikesh for a few weeks and came back for another 3 day stay. Before I left, the family prepared some snacks and cookies for my trip; so much that I couldn’t fit some in my bag. But on the train and for many days after, I was having their cookies with my chai & appreciating all their kindness and hospitality. He was also kind to arrange his schedule in a way that he can drop me off at the train station which is about 25 minutes away. As I mentioned, I eventually got back from Rishikesh, stayed at their place again, I am in Leh now and will be back to stay there for 3 days there again to catch my flight back to Canada.

• Liked — very helpful people and simple pricing strategy
  • Disliked — I was the only guest at the time of my stay.
  • Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank SpritualExplorer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
colchester
Reviewed June 12, 2009

If you are looking for a friendly, comfortable, B&B in Delhi, look no further. The accomodation is of high standard and the welcome very warm indeed. I would not hesitate in recommending Anika's Nest to any discerning traveller. Michael Yardley, journalist and broadcaster.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank bulletcatcher
SF Bay area
Reviewed May 15, 2009

We experienced such wonderful hospitality from our hosts. The home cooked food was delicious. Our room was nice and spacious and very comfortable. The location was wonderful because of the neighborhood, nearby markets, and the temple across the street. As a young couple we enjoyed our stay thoroughly and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank m0nkeybusiness
Scottsdale
Reviewed May 14, 2009

Anikas nest is an ideal place to be. I reached late in night but kumar had everything in place the food and travel kit ready as i was leaving for Aagra next morning. the first night spent only a few minutes was nice. On the way back stayed for 3 nights and I am sure they were on of the most memorable for my life. Kumar and Anika are perfect host helped in everything fro m arraning a car to getting tickets all around. The rooms were very clean and nice. It was treat to be there I have no words to say more it is SIMPLY THE BEST PLACE TO STAY IN DELHI

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Nainital
Reviewed May 1, 2009

I would say it a real representation of the true Hospitality!! Kumar and Anika had never made us feel that we are not in our home, even better than this.cute whisky is a true charming baby that really cultivated me to take him with me. food was amazing and "Jokes" were outstanding, Thanks Kumar for all of this, may be we wont be able to thnk you so much as you deserve for.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
London
Reviewed April 19, 2009

Anika's Nest was our first and last stop on our three week holiday to India and what a warm welcome to Delhi it was. A driver had been arranged for us and was waiting for us. On the way to the car he called Anika's Nest so that we could order lunch...by the time we arrived at Anika and Kumar's home an hour or so later lunch was cooking and a delicious array of snacks ready.

Kumar is full of good advice on what to see and do in Delhi, advising on great local eateries that you never find on your own and warns of the common scams and pitfalls new travellers to India face. Anika manages a fantastic kitchen that produces divine food, especially the Indian breakfasts that really set you up for the day.

The New Friend's Colony is a lovely place to be based...its a bit out of town so not walking distance to the main sights but actually it's perfect for escaping back to after the hustle and bustle of the main parts.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends