“Good place,”

Ranked #49 of 707 Hotels in New Delhi
Warsaw, Poland
“Good place,”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Very nice hotel and professional personel. Alse there is a roof top restaurant with good food. Next to the hotel there is a shop (same owner) with fixed prices, if you plan to leave India from Delhi, it is very good place for last two-free nights located next to train station. Also they offer airport shuffle in good price. Rooms clean and nice but without windows (like most hotels in India, suddenly)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Manchester
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Arrived here at 6:30 after a long flight to Delhi. Paid 50% of one nights stay to check in to room early. Staff were very nice and since we had no currency didn't mind us settling for airport transfer (750rs) after our stay. Must mention our it took us a long time to get off the plain and our transfer had gone by the time we got out of the airport but this was sorted by a quick call to the hotel. We stayed in a Deluxe Room, room was ok but needed a little updating. Restaurant was lovely - good price, lots of choice, lovely rooftop hideaway. The location is right in the middle of the main bazaar. Pretty hectic but rooms at the back a very quiet. I would definitely stay here again after staying in a higher priced and lower quality place in Karol Bagh area more recently. One final point would be to advise not to use the money exchange desk in the hotel. We did this on the first day and had $16 commission taken out of $68. We saw a few people come in from outside to change money and leave when they found out the rate. All in all an enjoyable stay and would highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2012
Vancouver
Reviewed November 17, 2012

The hotel is pretty close to the New Delhi train station and is situated right on the Main Bazzar in the Parganj. Although there are cheaper options available in the area, the hotel is very clean and rooms are very big and comfortable. There is an elevator (great for older travellers) and the beds have good mattresses which is great after too many sleeps on the lumpy foam kind favored by so many hotels. Big bathrooms with hot water is another plus. In short, if you are travel weary and don't mind paying more for a room this is a good option in the Parganj.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Mermaid Beach, Australia
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I regret to make this review, my expectations aren't high as I've got to know Delhi but the one thing I expected from otherwise great service at hotel piorko is that the services I request would help me to avoid the scammers in Delhi. Instead I was taken by their in house travel agent who was recommended by the front desk staff and sent straight into a tourist trap like you would expect from the most dodgy auto (took took) or taxi driver.
Unfortunately I took the reputation of the hotel too seriously, trusted it and ended up 8000 rupees out of pocket for one visit to the Taj Mahal. Entrance fee to the taj mahal is approx 750 rupees and previous experience in India taxi fee is less than 2000 rupees for a whole day. It took me over two weeks to spend 8000 rupee since I got here excluding accommodation.
The taxi cost 5500 rupees, which I was surprised at but chose to believe Hotel Hari Piorko wouldn't rip me off.Then I was told by the driver that I had to pay over 700rupees for toll fares because they weren't included and otherwise I would arrive to the taj mahal on closing time(later found they they should have been included and refunded after complaint)
The driver then explained that I was lucky because his friend was willing to give me tour of the Taj Mahal with no charge and spoke English really well.( this is not unusual as I have learned that most trustworthy Indians are very hospitable and some just like meeting foreigners and practicing their English)
The "friend" turns out to be a tour guide and recommends me to eat at a slightly above average clean restaurant for lunch which was more expensive than a 5 star hotel roof terrace restaurant where even the guy, who without request squirts soap on your hand so you can wash them, then hands you napkins to clean them and i offer him 10rupees, he looks at me in disgust with a wad of 100rupee bills in his hand.
The waiter insists after your overpriced bill that service is not included and expects additional payment.
Then the "friend" turns out to be a professional tour guide who has already bought your tickets, I explained that the taxi driver said he was a friend and was doing it for free and the tour guide explained the taxi drivers English is not so good and that if I don't think he did a good job that I wouldn't have to pay him anything.(mind you he already has my tickets and I don't know where the taxi driver has gone because they made arrangements in hindi)
The tour guide did a good tour and I felt obligated to tell him that I could pay no more than 500 rupee for his services.
After the tour he asked me if I wanted to see what the Taj Mahal looked like in the moonlight and took me to a jewelry store where I had to sit though and entire sales spiel on overpriced low quality jewelery that had a unique light refraction.
On the way out without buying anything the door man asked why I didn't buy anything and gave me a look of disguist.
Complaint to Hari Piorko got me refunded my toll charges (which were meant to be included) without an explanation as to why I was charged in the first place. An aqward interview with the taxi driver who was merely a pawn was probably paid 100 rupee for the entire day and had initially explained that the tour agent was paid 1000 rupee for commission but later denied without explanation as to the apparent misunderstanding.
They thanked me for letting them know and apologized for the situation, but this unfortunately concludes my last day in India to what should have been an otherwise highlight to visiting the Taj Mahal which I spend feeling like I was treated like a stupid tourist with too much money.
Some addition points if you want to know more :-
A conversation with driver which was a point of the hotels defense of miscommunication included the amounts of 5500 and 4500 and 1000 being commission and that if the fee was 6000 that the commission would be 1500. The drivers English was not very good but I clearly remember those amounts and have no explaination as to what they applied to other than my initial understanding which was this is the tour guides commission. (considering I paid 5500 rupees to what I was I though was a simple taxi fee)
During the dispute resolution i was explained that the tour guide was included in the package although both the tour agent and the tour guide neglected to tell me this(I thought I was just getting a taxi) and even apon questioning my concerns to the good english speaking tour guide about the apparent free arrangement (which i told him i thought was dodgy) he never suggested that he was part of the package instead insisting that if I didn't like his services I wouldn't have to pay him. (later to be suggested that he was only asking for a tip.)
The overpriced restraunt has denied that the bill total came too 1400 rupees but in fact came too 1050 rupees which doesn't explain both the amount of the bill which i was issued why I was returned a 100 rupee bill for the 3 x 500 rupee bills I handed over for payment, and that final 100 rupees I felt obliged to pay as the waiter insisted that the bill didn't include service.
The overpriced restraunt menu also didn't seem to include beer prices which I could find and I didn't check the prices of naan bread and rice which were over 200 rupees each.
Any of these issues isolated I wouldn't blink an eyelid as I've come to somewhat expect it from India here and there but such a co-ordinated assault with people including good English speakers trying to rip you off at every angle defines the kind of tourist trap one tries to avoid when traveling. A hotel with good service should assist you to avoid these kind of illegal ripoffs but unfortunately Hari Piorko handed me right over to them working under their own roof on the eve of Diwali.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
10 Thank Karlostavitch
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The location is good in the heart of the main bazaar & walking distance to Connaught Pl, I booked ahead because of the F1 weekend through a booking engine & it seemed like a fair price for Delhi's going rates. The room was large, excellent air conditioner, good strong/hot shower, comfy bed & even a fish tank (no window) but I take marks off for the unattentive staff. Face it it's like this in a lot of places in India but I didn't get as much as a hello back on the 4 mornings I was there. There was some other minor mistakes, check in = no commonsence, funny/strange staff. I hope that Hari Piorko works on this to improve overall. Note that the wifi did drop out quite often & the restaurant does warn a 30 minute wait but one morning we waited 45 minutes for porridge & toast as room service orders seem to push ahead. Tip: call restaurant with order well in advance & tell the staff if you have booked a tour/taxi time & in a rush.

Room Tip: Keep in mind restaurant waiting time.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel twice now and have been happy during both stays. My first stay I was given one of the better rooms, however the second room I was given was still comfortable it just seemed as if it had not gotten the recent updates that the previous room had. Additionally, it didn't have a shower door, so water went everywhere (ultimately not that big of a deal). The staff was generally always very nice and helpful. The TV works most of the time, which seems pretty good for Delhi. Hot water and AC made this place seem quite luxurious (after having lack of both for a month). During my stay I got food poisoning (not from the hotel) and was incredibly ill. So I ended up trying much of the room service menu and a lot of it isn't too bad. It's nothing gourmet but certainly edible. Also, there is always staff watching the front door so random people can't just come and go. This was a big comfort to me (single, female) as Paharganj attracts some less than savory characters. Definitely would recommend!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I was amazed to find such a clean and nice hotel in Main Bazaar area. It was a super place for my wife and 2 children. Clean rooms and good service.
.......................................................................As above, Good clean place, friendly (not pushy) staff with a great rooftop area & good location the only slight negative I thought the price was a little high but if you need to get away from the madness that is Delhi, then this is a great source of tranquility - I originally booked for 2 nights & stayed 6!

• Stayed October 2012