“Unprofessional check-in left a bad taste”
Review of The Swiss Palms

The Swiss Palms
Ranked #432 of 1,062 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Paonia, Colorado
“Unprofessional check-in left a bad taste”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We stayed here our first two nights in India. We wanted a comfy, quiet place to land in Delhi and had booked the 'superior room' here weeks ahead of time. After 24 hours of travel, our taxi pulled up here in the early evening and our room was not ready! They put us in an adjacent room so we could rest in the meantime. We got some dinner, and afterwards the room was ready, hallelujah! But we were led across the hall to a room where 3 other men were lounging on the couch and bed, smoking cigarettes. They were shooed out and we were shooed in. The bellboys scrambled around the room, picking up ashtrays and trash. We said that we had asked for a non-smoking room, and we were told "just turn on the bathroom fan, it will be OK soon." Now, maybe true "non-smoking" rooms are rare in India, but having 3 men smoking in your room when you check in crosses the line!
A simple breakfast was brought to our room each morning, though we didn't use the kitchen for other meals. They seem to have some other services and amenities which we didn't take advantage of, but I think it may be over-priced in general. We paid 3300/night, or almost $70, and it was the most expensive place we stayed during 7 weeks in India. Once cleared of smoke, our room was spacious and clean enough, but nothing to write home about, for the price. The manager, Aditya, was quite friendly and welcoming, personally driving us to a restaurant the first night, but that's the last we saw of him during our stay. While the hotel is indeed in a relatively quiet, gated neighborhood (by Delhi's standards), its location in South Delhi is not the most convenient to most tourist destinations. I would say the "Locational Advantages" listed on the website are a stretch.
Our experience was certainly soured based on the first night, which we felt was unacceptable, hence the low service, value, and cleanliness ratings, and overall 2-star rating. Aside from that, the Swiss Palms is probably a respectable mid-range hotel. I hope that this was a rare mistake for them. Based on my personal budget and style of travel, I would choose another hotel next time.

1 Thank Ben D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
DUBAI
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I have visited Delhi twice in the last 6 months. During our first visit I came alone and stayed only for 2 nights in the standard room. Though I did not meet Ady during my first visit but he spoke to me over the phone & welcomed me to Delhi. Although my first visit there was quiet & without anything extraordinary but at the same time i wasn't at discomfort at any time….
During my 2nd visit I had come with my 2 kids & my wife's parents. We had requested an early check in (at 7am) for at least one room so as to ensure that at least the old parents could rest with the kids . We were pleasantly surprised to find out that both the rooms were ready and in fact we were upgraded to a superior room which was very spacious and we 4 could easily fit in.

Not to miss that when we came back from dinner on our first night, there was a blue berry cheese cake waiting for all of us in our rooms as a welcoming token from the management. I have to say that really won our hearts.

We met Ady in person this time & he organized a very good day tour for us and even negotiated a great deal on a Toyota jeep for us.
While checking out we gave some minor suggestions and he patiently absorbed them all, with the alacrity to improve. That again is what sets this place apart from others, the willingness to accept bad and good comments and the eagerness to strive for better.
About Ady, I would say that his place might not be a 4 star but he surely is 5 star….
Will totally recommend it

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ABMDubai
London
Reviewed March 17, 2012

This was advertised to us as a 4 star luxury hotel online, we researched hotel accommodation carefully as we needed to be in a safe relaxing environment. I originally only wanted to stay in 5 star hotels but I was persuaded by the way the hotel was advertised that it would be a good choice in terms of standards, location and quality: where do I start?

Location:

My idea of 'posh' location as advertised on the hotels own paperwork, means a nice safe location. What this was actually in, was a private gated enclosured area, where there were only residential houses with guards and workers etc... outside, we didn't feel safe, we were unable to walk outside the accommodation without attracting a great deal of unwanted attention every time we stepped out. This eventually became intolerable, however this was discovered to be a common feature of Delhi therefore to be fair, not the managers fault. However this is not in an up market area in my view. We still had to navigate our way round the intense stares of the guards and taxi drivers and other people outside the hotel once we had left its gates. The street outside the gated area was very busy and clearly not for tourists, we stepped out once only together, we felt threatened and out of place and the locals were very unpleasant.

Appearance. We were met by a nice gentleman when we found reception which was small and pokey, opposite a tiny kitchen and the whole place smelt of diesel. We were led past on going building works to our room which was on the first floor, the stairs to the accommodation were steep and our 'premium room' was shown to us.

The Room;

This was a disappointment. The room was quite small for a 'premium room' and was the size of a standard twin room in any other establishment -say a 3 stay. There were two ceiling fans and an extremely noisy , aging air conditioning unit. The bathroom was a decent size but basic, and a mop was left for us to mop up the water after having a shower. All fixtures and fittings in the bathroom were very very old and clearly had seen better days. We were shocked and my husband immediately went and asked the man at reception if this actually was a premium room and asked if there were any more rooms. It was confirmed by the man that this was a premium room and that it was air conditioned and what more should we expect , kind of attitude. We decided that we couldnt argue with this man as clearly he wasnt the boss and that probably we should try to make the best of it, therefore we did our best to enjoy our stay. The view from our window was of ongoing building works and we were woken by noisy workmen at around 23.00 one evening. Everything about this place was just not how we thought it would be.

Service & food

In general the service provided was pleasant and the staff, comprising 2 men were as helpful as they could be. Breakfast was 3 toasts, a thin omelette pancake style, jam, butter and some fruit and a small carton of fruit juice, this was nice but the same every day and served in our room.

We were swayed by the reviews of great food at the hotel mostly and were expecting a dining room of some sort where we could ask for food to be cooked for us as per the reviews. The man who cooked the food basically did everything in the tiny kitchen opposite reception and we asked for our evening meal a couple of times, the food was nice home cooked food and we felt the man who cooked it really did his best. Again, food served in our room, no dining room, no common lounge area. So we always felt as if we were restricted only to our room.

Cleanliness:

The room provided was clean and the bed was comfortable, whenever we asked for our room to be cleaned it was, however the fixtures and fittings were just too worn out and old,and we can see that probably when the rooms were originally decorated they probably were lovely but the room we stayed showed several signs of not being maintained.

Did we stay the whole 2 weeks we had booked to stay?

No, I was very upset when we arrived as we reseached the hotel and read every review carefully and we felt this establishment was immensely oversold. We checked out early, as we really had had enough, we couldnt go out from the room, or go for a walk anywhere, I certainly couldnt being female, my husband went out a couple of times and I was terrified something would happen to him and we came to the decision that we just couldnt relax in this 'hotel' as we were confined to the room. We checked out, knowning that we would lose 50% of the money we paid but we realised we had to leave as we just were not having a relaxing time of it. We advised the man at reception that we were leaving and he called his boss, the manager, who spoke to my husband and my husband basically advised that we were leaving because this hotel wasnt as advertised, it wasnt 4 star and we were not happy about being mislead. The owner/manager agreed with my husband that it wasnt a 4 star hotel but was just a B &B, being eager to leave and get on with our 'break' my husband said it was OK and that this was the reason why we were leaving and we didnt mention a refund etc.. as we suspected probably this would never be forthcoming.

Summary.

We feel this establishment is a basic Bed and Breakfast hotel, and we would give it a rating of 2-3 star. The only good things about it are that the staff that we met were very helpful and pleasant, however rather watchful, not genuinely friendly. The room was clean,basic , had no fridge, and when we asked for a kettle we were told that this wasnt possible, therefore again, our independence was compromised. The food was nice and home cooked. The location is not salubrious as suggested.

Our advice is if you are clearly tourists from overseas, and unfamiliar with Delhi, and are expecting 4 star accommodation and expect to walk about and go out freely about your business, this will not happen if you stay at this accommodation. We were watched and scrutinised by all the locals everywhere we went, in this 'posh' location and it was extremely unpleasant, this combined with the B&B hostel type accomodation made us both feel extremely cheated and we were so glad when we left for the 5 star hotel that I had originally wanted to stay in.

We hope this helps you in your decision. We will never come back to this hotel again, but we must say the staff were the only aspect that made our stay bearable.

I

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
TSPDELHI, Owner at The Swiss Palms, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience at The Swiss Palms,New Delhi. First of all, we would like to sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience you’ve encountered. Those incidents which happened
during your patronage indicate more attention is required by our team and have been treated with great concern.
I would begin to address your concerns by informing you that as a goodwill gesture we have instructed Agoda to send you a refund even though we had blocked 12 days during this busy time for you and for that we've have incurred a loss.
Thank you once more for bringing the Ups and Downs of your visit to our attention and we truly hope you will give us
a chance to show you our quality of service and regain your confidence in a near future.

Allow me to address all your issues one by one:-

1. 4 star hotel-
we are a budget hotel, more on bed & breakfast style which is clearly mentioned on the very top of our website. For ref please log on to : www.theswisspalms.com

If some travel agent website is advertising us as a 4 star then I am genuinely not aware of it. At the same time I regret the confusion caused to you about the rating of our hotel.

2. Location:
I am afraid, a lot of people still gawk at the foreign tourists, especially, if you permit me to state, people from the lower strata of society. Therefore, you found a lot of guards, sweepers & pedestrians etc staring at you. Indian tourism is still developing and these people are getting used to seeing foreigners. Though i can't do much about it but I understand the sense of insecurity it gave you.
Yes, it is privately gated to ensure maximum security for residents.

3.The room:

There is some renovation activity happening next door hence the smell of diesel (probably on that day only) & the noise.

This particular room hasn't been vacant for a long time and hence haven't really got an opportunity to personally see what needed attention. Now,as I write this response, all bathroom accessories have been replaced by new ones and everything is sparking new again. Not just for this room but for the entire property. All bathroom fittings have been renewed.

Again, I earnestly apologize for the disappointment caused.

4.Service & food;

Iam surprised that you were unaware of the dining area & the little lobby we have. There is a small dining facility right over the reception area where all our guests hob-nob & eat. Though, this place is not grand by a long shot but a lot of guests find it 'cute'.

5.Cleanliness:
Iam glad at least you found the room clean & bed comfortable. As for the fittings which you found old & worn out…..They have been instantly replaced.
We strive to give value for money accommodation at bare minimum prices & at the same time keep high standards in comparison with budgets hotels or B & B's.

6.Summary:

I understand that you felt a bit awkward by people staring at you in the streets but let me assure you that the stares are benign and mean no evil. Delhi is a safe place by & large.

Would like to reiterate that we are a simply a budget hotel with room charges in range of US$50-60 and expectations should be analogical. Clearly, if you expect a 4 or a 5 star out of it then disappointment is imminent. On the contrary, if you come with reasonable expectations then you might find us exceeding your expectations on many counts.
Ventura, CA
Reviewed March 10, 2012

The pros: this place was in a pretty quiet neighborhood. The rooms were large and looked on the surface very nice but...

The cons: we had issues underneath it all. The fridge was not plugged in when we got there so there was mold growing inside of the fridge. The shower leaked throughout the bathroom every time we showered so the whole floor was always covered with water. the bed was comfortable. We never got to meet Ady but the hotel manager was very nice. We also got a better rate to the airport for 600 Rp but were charged for the 1200 Rp as well for the pick up.

cumbria
Reviewed March 5, 2012

we stayed here for 2 nights on our arrival. they offered to collect us from the airport for 1200Rs which was conciderate but we got a prepaid cab for 400. Ady is a very helpful chap and he will always do what he can for you. the rooms were ok but certainly not amazing, although they did have deep matresses on the beds, and i guess were about in keeping with the price tag for delhi, where you wont get too much for your money. area was fairly quite which is something and i am being generous with 4*. 3.5* would be more accurate i think, but giving the benefit of the doubt.

Delft, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 2, 2012

This is one hidden gem of a hotel(/ bed n breakfast) in south delhi, great home cooked food, well furnished and decent room, located in uptown southern delhi maharani bagh, i had a last minute booking but it went well and the room was booked for me, great tariff for the locality and services offered. shall surely stay again when i am in town

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed December 2, 2011

The Swiss Palms were very efficient right from the moment they sent a cab to pick us up from the airport. The homely yet professional decor was a surprise and put my nervousness at ease at once as soon as I met the owner- Adyitya or Ady as we called him. There was a a big sign board of my name on their small reception which welcomed us. It was indeed a lovely experience to be welcomed to in such a personal way.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family