“Last night in India”

Ranked #4 of 1,076 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Maryland US
“Last night in India”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

I was so sad to be leaving India after a wonderful time but on my last night stayed at this wonderful place and I vowed that I would return next year.
There was a refridgerator in the room which is always a perk and one needed to reserve a time
to eat in the rooftop restaurant. I had an enjoyable meal, and the staff were very attentive and
managed to find a decent wine, which can be a problem in India. I booked the breakfast for 8am and there was enough food to sustain me on my long journey home. Super staff, free Wi Fi,
comfortable room and decent shower, where else to go?

Room Tip: I like to keep the water cool and so would ask for one with a refridgerator.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank lucozade2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Delhi, New York
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We stayed for overall 4 nights in March on recommendation from our travel agency. We did a circle in Rajasthan with start and finish in Delhi and stayed both times at the Colonel´s retreat (and that was a very good decision). We enjoyed Holi with the Colonel und played with the colors - we will never forget that; so much fun!! We always felt welcome and in all the chaos of Delhi it was relieving to get back to this hotel. Next time we go to Delhi, we´re definitely going to stay at the colonel´s again. Oh - and btw - never ever miss out on the banana-bread - OMG - just don´t miss that out it´s homemade and the best of all the northern india <3

Room Tip: The computer for checking E-Mails is on the ground-floor
Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BleuDeSau
arun418, Owner at Colonel's Retreat, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
We did have a great time playing Holi- its such a fun festival . I am glad you had a marvelous t time and have very colorful memories of Colonels Retreat ! Yo liked the banana bread- next time i will give you the recipe !!
shetland
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We sated here for 4 nights in March this year after a recommendation from a friend of our daughter's. We were not disappointed. From the pick-up at the airport to the final goodbyes we were well looked after.
The rooms are clean and well appointed though not huge. The shower en suite was fine too with ample hot water at all times.
The surrounding area was safe to walk around and we found some excellent restaurants nearby. It was really handy for metro, rickshaw and taxi transport.
The dinner we had at Colonel's Retreat on our first night was authentic and well- cooked and we had ample choice, both vegetarian and meat dishes. The breakfast on the roof garden was a highlight every day........especially the banana bread!
The rooms on each floor have a cool central lounge area and a balcony and this was most relaxing in the evening after a day's sight-seeing. The staff was most helpful, and the concierge couldn't do enough for us. The owners made a point of speaking to us personally, a nice touch. This is all in all an excellent B and B and I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I think most of the rooms are the same.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank bigmacShetland
Melton Mowbray
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We told our travel firm that we preferred smaller hotels and they took us at our word here - there are only 8 bedrooms but the rooms, food and service were second to none.

We arrive early on a Sunday morning and found our room was already ready. Whilst checking in (sitting in the lounge chatting to the owner), we were plied with tea/coffee and delicious homemade banana bread. We had not organised any sight seeing for that day thinking that we would be tired/jet lagged after flight from London. The owner offered to sort out some sight seeing for us - he checked our itinerary and came up with some suggestions all within 15 minutes drive of the hotel so we could call a halt at any time. He arranged a car with a driver who could speak some English although we did the actual sight seeing on our own but as we could rent audio guides, this was not a problem. The driver cost £10 for 4 hours!

We also ate at the hotel for the 2 nights we were there - sitting on the roof terrace, listening to the car horns in the distance, drinking beer, eating excellent home made food - no better way to wind down from a busy day sight seeing/shopping - highly recommended

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2014

After spending a day of sightseeing and shopping in Delhi, surrounded by constant noise and traffic, it is a delight to walk through the gate at the Colonel's Retreat and be welcomed back by a friendly and helpful staff.
Indeed, we've been tempted to spend our days on the rooftop terrace at shaded tables surrounded by potted plants and flowers, listening to the sounds of jazz. One evening we decided to order a wonderful, home cooked meal which was served on the terrace amid fairylights. Simply enchanting!
I should mention that prior to my arrival, the owner, Arun Khanna made some recommendations which I found to be very helpful.
Our 4 day stay in Delhi was a pleasure and mostly due to the fact that each afternoon we looked forward to coming back to our "home" away from home.
Thank you Arun!

• Stayed April 2014
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Colonel's Retreat is so comforting and really feels like a home away from home. Great location, great price, very clean and wonderful service. I am so happy to have discovered it. I love the breakfast place and the food is yummy.

Room Tip: Ask for the single rooms on the other side of the apartment if you would like more privacy. If you...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
London
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I stay here each time I am in Delhi, believe me I am a tour operator specialising in tours to India and Im very critical about hotels and B&B as I have inspected 1,000's all over India. This is a home from home. Unlike the majority of B&B they will arrange home cooked food if you wish in the evening, the home made banana cake at breakfast is yummy and with good choice of eggs done anyway you like in the morning, sitting on the rooftop is delightful. Big bedrooms with TV, Fridge, AC basically all the comforts you require. 3 floors with 3 double/twin rooms on each level with each floor having a lounge with TV if you don't want to sit in your room. I can't praise this property enough and believe me I have seen and stayed in the competition B&B. I recommend this to all my clients if they don't want to stay in a large international standard hotel. Defence Colony Market is near by with a very good choice of restaurants, just 10 mins walk away. Property supplies a recommended list of restaurants and also an array for delivery takeaway menus to order from. Highly recommended by Mystic India.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are very good, the double bed rooms in the facing left corner as you enter each flo...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo