“Good experience but...”
Review of Colonel's Retreat

Colonel's Retreat
Ranked #3 of 1,134 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We are a group of 6. Our plan was to spend the first and last 2 nights of our 2 weeks holiday at the colonel's Retreat, New Delhi.

The rooms are spacious, well furnished and very clean. Most staff were very accommodating to our needs. Although it is situated close to local attractions it is surprisingly quiet as it is away from the hustle and bustle of the city. It has round the clock security, Wi Fi at no extra cost and delicious homemade fresh meals prepared at our request. The hostess was very attentive and caring. We felt very much at home here and looked forward to the 2nd leg of our holiday.

However when we returned, to our dismay our prepaid rooms were not available. The hotel had overbooked and did not secure our reservation. This was very inconvenient and stressful to all of us. We had to make new arrangements.

Thankfully, Our travel agents based in Delhi managed to get us alternative accommodation at the last hour. We spent the last 2 days at The Royal Plaza, New Delhi, a four star hotel & spa.

Colonel's Retreat is a lovely place to stay, we would recommend it to our friends with a warning attached to it. Make sure you reconfirm your reservations if you intend to break your journey.

Room Tip: Reconfirm that showers have good drainage.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Aussie R
ghori90, Owner at Colonel's Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review . I am glad you had a pleasant stay with us .
On your second visit when you did not get a room i beg to inform your Travel Agent took you for a ride. He had in fact never booked with us in spite of taking an advance payment from you. On the day you arrived he called me up to request for a room which we did not have. I hope that explains our position.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

This was my fifth trip to India, and my fifth stay at Colonel's Retreat. Coming back always feels like coming home. The staff are very stable, and it's great to see familiar faces welcoming me back. This year I brought my wife and children with me, and knew that Colonel's would be a safe and comfortable place to stay. They were very accommodating in helping us get neighbouring rooms, and even kept the third room on the floor vacant for much of our stay. The staff was great with the kids, and we all felt well taken care of. The bed in our room was really hard, but otherwise everything was good. I look forward to coming back soon!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
ghori90, Owner at Colonel's Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Your 5th visit to us in 4 years of our existence. How can i thank you more ?
Delighted to have you with us along with the kids . i hope they had fun too .

Reviewed October 8, 2013

First, my husband wanted to stay - as in former times - in Pahar Ganj. But we were really happy, that we decided the Colonel's Retreat in the south of Delhi. It is a lovely place, a little bit like a haven of calm in this bussy megacity. The rooms are very nice, clean and furnished individually with love and care. Each room is different. The stuff is very helpfull and serves good breakfast at the terrace on the roof. Here you will met the friendly, polite and very approachable orner of the boutique-hotel. And you can see in trees and over white houses. The metro-station Lajpat Nagar is not far away, a seven-minute-walk. And it is worth to take a tree-day-tourist-ticket. The metro brings you quickly to any place, even you often have to change the line at Central Secretariat. All in all: Back in Delhi again, we would chose this place again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Colonels retreat is our first stop on a three week trip and from the moment we were met at the airport to the moment we checked out, everything was just right. We wanted somewhere in the nicer side of town, close tonight to walk to the local market area and also a short rickshaw ride to the Hauz Khas so the location is ideal. Rooms are lovely and clean, fresh linen and a quality air con unit. Aloo paratha for breakfast was delicious, and the staff are helpful and attentive. We would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend it. You are doing an excellent job here Arun keep up the good work!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Thank you for the wonderful time we spent in the Colonel's Retreat, it is a wonderful place to stay! We enjoyed the great service of your friendly and kind staff, the big and clean room, the modern bathroom and especially the delicious breakfasts and dinner. A real paradise for city-holidays!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank uli_killercat
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I am so happy to have found the Colonel's Retreat in Delhi. As this is my first time in India, it was such a wonderful place to stay. The staff was accommodating and kind; from arranging my pick-up at the airport in the middle of the night, to the delicious breakfast they provided and helping with navigating my time in Delhi. The room was bright, airy and clean. While the mattresses are different in India compared to American mattresses I found the bed to be very comfortable. Staying in Defence Colony was very nice and I was happy that i could easily walk to the D.C. Market where I you have access to stores, restaurants and a bank. I also was able to enjoy the roof top deck one night with new friends I met at the Colonel's Retreat. I will be in India for some time, I definitely will be staying at Colonels Retreat whenever I am in Delhi.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank liberty h
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Home away from home- helpful friendly staff - clean rooms, toilets and showers, great breakfast water in shower a little cool. Owners pleasant to chat to. Central location for access to Delhi sight seeing and metro- little on expensive side- but worth it!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank kikidoit

Thank you for taking the effort to write this. We sincerely appreciate it.