“A wonderful retreat in a quiet neighborhood”
Review of Colonel's Retreat

Colonel's Retreat
Ranked #3 of 1,076 New Delhi B&B and Inns
St. Louis, MO
“A wonderful retreat in a quiet neighborhood”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I'd always heard that one should stay at one of the big luxury hotels in Delhi if one can afford it. While my employer would have covered the Taj, I decided I'd rather try something smaller and more homey, away from the crowds. I'm so glad I did. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room pleasant and well-appointed, and the rooftop dining was really nice, both for breakfast and dinner. (Breakfast is included, while dinner you just request sometime beforehand--both times I did it late-afternoon which was fine, and was given a 7:30-8pm slot.) In fact I ate dinner there for 2 of my 3 nights--the first night I met a lovely couple from Wales, which is the sort of thing that's easier to do at a smaller place like this. The chicken masala dinner was excellent, and the butter chicken dinner was very good.

A major plus for me was the Defence Colony neighborhood, which has lots of trees and is a welcome respite from the hustle of the city. The guest house is about a 15-min walk from shopping and restaurants, in a fun little neighborhood that's decidedly not touristy. There's a great little electronics shop there where I got a SIM card for my phone and some other items like a surge protector. At the owner's recommendation I took my last dinner at Swagath (fish gassi with appam), which was excellent. I probably should have gotten out a bit more, but after a day of sightseeing it's nice to just relax and eat on the rooftop.

The owner also has a jewelry shop, Amrapali, with a beautiful selection of art jewelry in Khan Market. That market and the shop are not the cheapest, but a lot easier to deal with for the neophyte or rushed husband than Chandni Chowk (the bazaar in Old Delhi), and I liked the offerings better. All told, I highly recommend this guest house.

PS--I was shocked that my guidebook and the advice I'd gotten barely mentioned Qtub Minar, which is 30 mins out of town. (I had a private car/driver for my stay--really nice.) This was by far the best site I visited in Delhi--really impressive.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank PapaPiranha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Very clean, comfortable facilities. My sister and I were made to feel very welcome from the moment we arrived and until we left. The owners, Arun and Suman, were so helpful, and gave us suggestions re food, shopping and places of interest. We chose to have dinner on the two nights we were there, and the food was delicious and, as with the excellent breakfast, was served on the rooftop which was pleasant and cool. We thoroughly recommend the Colonel's Retreat as a great place to stay in Delhi.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Mumbai
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I came across Colonel's Retreat from a colleague that recommended it as a good option for visits to Delhi - ever since it's been my first choice. We generally prefer smaller guest houses or boutique hotels over large chains, both because of cost and quality, and Colonel's Retreat has to be one of favorite places to stay on work trips in India. From the amazingly comfortable beds to the wonderful breakfast on the rooftop (the banana bread is a must try), it truly feels like a home away from home (albeit one that is actually much nicer than my apartment in Mumbai...). The location in Defence Colony is also great and allows for easy access to much of New Delhi. I always look forward to my stays here and seeing Arun on the rooftop, and recommend this for both business travelers that need a functional, accessible option and travelers that need a place to getaway from the din of Delhi.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed December 8, 2012

The Colonel's Retreat was booked for us by Enchanting Travels - India and had good reviews (as did all the accommodation booked for us). I am happy to add my good report to this Home Stay.

The owners and staff were all very helpful and the atmosphere was very welcoming. We were pleased to find a safe in the room so that we could lock our valuables away whilst sight-seeing. Everything was clean and the beds very comfortable, thebath towels were changed daily.

Our Enchanting India driver had no trouble finding the location and it gave us a view of Old Delhi.

The breakfast on the rooftop was lovely and there was a great view all around, we also ate a lovely meal on the roof on our second night and watched the Diwali fireworks.

Unfortunately, we missed our second breakfast there as we both felt unwell and had an early start on the Wednesday for our trip to Agra.

I would recommend this as a comfortable place to base yourself during your stay in Delhi.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank DarwinChris2012
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed December 8, 2012

It was a good stay, the staff was really nice. And the banana cake was great. The room was a bit noisy, and the bathroom a bit old fashion. The location is ok, just the homestay has moved from a place to another and the driver was not aware of. Otherwise evrything was fine, and this homestay is good pick.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kelyeth
ghori90, Owner at Colonel's Retreat, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
We haven't moved ever . I don't know why your driver was confused.

Our bathrooms are modern with tub baths unless you consider that dated.

Its generally a very quiet area - in the middle of busy Delhi.

I really cant figure out why you gave us only a Fair rating.
Elk Grove Village, Illinois, United States
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Nice little hotel, extremely clean, we used this as our base to see Delhi, enjoyed breakfast daily. We arranged for dinner one evening and thoroughly enjoyed it. Restaurant on the roof is fabulous to see the and hear the life in urban Delhi. We would suggest that the hotel invests in western style door locks that do not require the guest to lock themselves in from the inside of the room with a key.
Staff and management were always concerned for guest comfort.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KenMcLaren
New Delhi, India
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Staying at the retreat was very relaxing. They were very helpful and thoughtful. The rooms were clean and the staff was very helpful.Staying here added to our overall holiday and would gladly stay again.Thank you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends