Colonel's Retreat
$155
$131
$84
  • Breakfast included
The Leela Palace New Delhi(New Delhi)
$298
  • Pool
$77
$50
  • Pool
Hotel Hari Piorko(New Delhi)(Great Value!)
$27
$21
  • Restaurant
The Lodhi(New Delhi)
$206
$185
Agoda.com
All reviewsdefence colonybanana breadb brooftop terracehomemade jamshome away from homelajpat nagarguest housequiet areacommon areashome stayliving roomplace to staybreakfast was deliciousindian breakfastrooms are comfortablebed and breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Arun (owner) is very pleasant, and cooperative

he has 2 houses in Defence colony (D-264 and D-418)
Note: Some rooms have a balcony

Pros:

Owner is cooperative and responsive
Clean
has in-room safe
Good food, available At any time
Good ac and fan
Excellent location
Solid Internet (when working)
Quiet except pigeons in the morning

Cons:

Tub leaks
Hard beds
Bed siZe queen, not king
Light at 6am without a way to darken, not good if you want to sleep later than 6am
Pigeon noise at 6am
Ok service, had to go down 2 flights of stairs when needed someone
Internet was out for 2 days
2% surcharge when using your credit card to pay for the room

We had a problem with the water fluctuating in temperature. After many calls it never really got resolved and we just dealt with it. Arun gave us a discount as compensation.

Because the owner was pleasant and cooperative, cleanliness, and location, we would definately stay here again.
Because of the water and internet problems we experienced, I gave this 4 stars instead of 5.

Miz

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mizzles
ghori90, Owner at Colonel's Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Hey thanks for the detailed review- you stayed with us 11 months ago. The internet would have taken a day to get fixed - we haven't heard anyone complain in 2012. Hope to see you again sometime .

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was my fourth trip to Delhi and my fourth stay at Colonel's Retreat. Driving in from the airport felt almost like coming home. It's great to see the same staff year after year, and they continue to do a wonderful job. Breakfast is always quick and tasty, and they were able to accommodate my occasional early starts. The rooms are clean, and they respond promptly to concerns. Arun always checks in to see how things are going - it's refreshing to see the owner taking such a personal interest in his establishment. He's made some interesting changes since the last time, although I didn't get to check out the spa. I will be back next year!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank McDepth
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I have stayed here many times and am always made to feel like I am coming home.

Location is excellent quiet but central with good bars and restaurants near by.

Transport links - Metro and taxi are excellent.

The rooms are big clean and comfortable with plenty of hot water.

The staff are delightful - friendly and helpful.

Arun the owner of The Colonels Retreat takes great pride in making sure that everything goes just right. He has also travelled very extensively in India and is a mine of useful information, contacts and advice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 16, 2012

The Colonel’s Retreat is a set of flats in a block/old house that has been converted to hotel rooms. It is in what is considered to be a plusher part of Delhi. However, I have real issues with this place and I will go through them one by one:

ITS CLAIM TO BE 300M FROM METRO IS MISLEADING:
The residence is in South Delhi, in a more ‘salubrious’ part of Delhi. These neighbourhoods are essentially walled off in their own compounds. If you look at google maps, yes, it is within a certain distance of a metro station, however, most of the road that connects to the metro is sealed off by a fence which has a small gap in it that one can squeeze through to get through to the main road where the station is. You will not see this by night and it is easily missable during the day.

Futhermore, the Delhi metro is immensely busy, even into town in the evenings. The residents do not let you out of the train first either. This is OK if you are significantly bigger than the vast majority of Indians (as I am) and/or get sufficiently angry to get in the mood to wrestle 20 Indians (I do not exagerate) out of the way to get out (as I did). To add to this, your line is the blue line. To see most of the sights in the centre of town (i.e. Old Delhi) you will need to transfer to the orange line, which basically guarantees you an Indian railways style journey for part/all of it. On wikitravel, it says that the Delhi metro users are metropolitan university types - this is totally wrong - these types are absolutely rare in Delhi. The metro is vastly underpriced, even for Indian standards (30p return for most journeys) and it is not your metropolitan types that use it. Your journey into the city centre will take you at least 1 hour.

IT IS RIGHT NEXT TO AN OPEN SEWER:
Leave the hotel, walk 20 metres and turn left. Stick your nose in the air (as well as see the gushing water from which this smell emanates) - and yes, it is an open sewer. The way the ‘Defence Colony’ suburb of Delhi works is, as an almost gated community, it has its own ‘town centre’ where shops, restaurants etc. are located. To get here (and in fact pretty much anywhere) you have to walk down the open sewer, which runs parallel to the road which gets you either out of the suburb to the main road or to the town centre. The walk to the town centre can be a bit disconcerting at night (no street electricity, some stray dogs and the smell of raw sewage). You may think that you will not eat in the suburb, but trust me, Delhi WILL tire you out and you will want to eat somewhere not right in the centre of town.

IT IS NOT CHEAP:

We paid £54/night for a double room in, what was essentially somebody’s converted house. Yes, it had a western toilet, air conditioning, 24 hour electricity and WIFI, but you do feel very much that it is somebody else’s house, and that you are an ‘interloper’, particularly when you come back at night and see the staff watching TV etc. in the communal lounge area, or when the staff are not there, not knowing who you can phone etc.

I suggest paying a slightly higher price for what, most likely, is a short stay of 4 nights maximum, staying in a real hotel with communal facilities, perhaps a fitness centre, swimming pool and a better choice of food and tourist knowledge (see below).

THE OWNER IS RARELY IN AND HIS STAFF ARE INCOMPETENT:

This has been picked up by others as well. When we stayed, the owner was in the US, a few weeks later, he was in the UK.

His staff failed us in three big ways:

1) They offered to get us 2 mobile SIM cards, which cost us about 1-2000 Indian Rupees (SIM plus photos). We got 1 phonecall out of these SIMs, and the staff never fixed the problem.

2) When we checked out, the staff did not know that we had already paid, because the owner, who was away, had the details (as the staff member Mercy told me).

3) The biggest cock-up was their arrangement of a trip to Agra to see the Taj Mahal. They organised this for Friday - the Taj Mahal has been shut for FOUR YEARS on the Friday. The round trip to Agra takes 8 hours. We therefore saw some other secondary sites in Agra and went on to Fatepur Sikri - and the hotel wanted full payment for this bungled trip! We offered to pay half, but staff member Mercy would not accept this, as it was less than the full amount. We therefore left without paying. The owner has since sent many emails (of which I am happy to show the webmasters of this website) as well as visiting the UK (soon after his trip to the USA), calling me on my phone and 'threatening' (so he feels) to come to my home to extort money!

I just don't feel any of this would have happened in a bigger hotel, where surely they would've known the opening hours of their biggest and most famous tourist attraction (the owner claims it would've been presumptuous to assume that a trip to Agra was to see the Taj Mahal). This whole episode also demonstrates how this business ultimately views its clients, as not once have I received a genuine apology for their mess up, just strawman arguments (my staff cannot control the opening of the Taj Mahal) to the aforementioned rubbish.

We came back to Delhi on the way out of India and we certainly did not stay in this hotel/whatever at this time.

So, in summary, this is a poorly located hotel, with unprofessional staff headed by an unprofessional manager who lacks humility and the ability to address clients properly when things do go wrong.

p.s. I would advise readers of this website to look at the reviews of people who have reviewed many places - you will see all the points I covered re-iterated on these.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank mr_drabu

I am sorry you had a rough time in Delhi. You didnt like the city, you didnt like the Brand New Metro and you didnt much care for our place either. Whats more you chose to go to Agra on a day the Taj was closed . My apologies .

98 % of our guests feel we are well located, clean and good value for money.

It is our earnest endeavour to try and convince the balance 2% . You win many and then you lose one. What can i say - i am sorry you came all the way and had an unhappy experience. I hope you come again and give us just one more chance to change things around. You still need to see the Taj!!

Reviewed September 15, 2012

After years of looking for a nice hotel in Delhi, Colonel's Retreat proved to be the best! The rooms and living room/dining room area were spotless and decorated like a home instead of a hotel. I would highly recommend anyone to stay at this hotel any day!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business