“Very disappointing”

and 1 more site!
Velvet Apple Hotel
Ranked #332 of 713 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed March 13, 2011

My friend and I stayed in this hotel in February for 5 nights. After reading the reviews on TA I thought it would be a nice hotel. Although the service at the front desk and room service was quite good, the hotel itself was very disappointing. Too loud --they put us opposite the staff toilet--so we could hear all night people in and out of there. Plus on the ground floor--everyone has to pass your room which also makes it very annoying if you want to sleep at all. Then we were moved upstairs--this time NEXT to the staff toilet--now we could hear what was happening in the toilet. Not pleasant at all. Then we were moved to the back of the hotel--much much better-but that was our last night. I suggest to anyone going to stay at this hotel--ask for the 2nd floor at the back of the hotel. Otherwise you will not have a pleasant stay. For the money you are paying for this hotel I expected a lot more. Rooms are big and nice, but the noise level is ridiculous.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
VAExperience, Owner at Velvet Apple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2011

Dear Elizabeth

Thank you for taking out time and writing a review. I am really sorry to hear about your experience at Velvet Apple Hotel. Absolutely agreed such kind of noise is unacceptable. Staff toilets are in a separate location in back area, away from the main building, but due to some technical fault, we were forced to use these already closed toilets as there was no other place for the staff to use. I was not at all in favor of the same, but there was no way out. This was very temporary phase and unfortunate for us, you came at this point. Trust me its all ok now and the staff is using their designated toilets .

Yes you are right for the corridor noise, carpet is the only way to stop that and the same has have been ordered mid-February and getting installed in fact this week. The same will help in taking away noise factor.

Though my staff tried to give you alternate rooms. We wanted to offer you the same room which you stayed the last night but you wanted only a twin room, but I do understand the hassle in constantly changing rooms.

I am glad to read that you were satisfied with the service of my staff and the room itself at Velvet Apple.

I have checked and your booking was from a Travel Agent. I am sure you did not find the value for Money at the hotel, as Travel Agent gave us a net rate of Rs. 4,500/- and I believe he charged you Rs. 7000/- , which is way high. That is why I am really against net rate business. If you check our website direct, you will find most suitable value rates. Moreover we had refunded Rs.500/- per night back to this agent only because you had to go through this inconvenience, I am sure it must have not been passed on to you.

Once again, I am really sorry for all the inconvenience caused to you. I assure you a wonderful noise free experience on your future trip to Velvet Apple Hotel.
If you have any other valuable suggestions, please do not hesitate to write to me directly at ceo@velvetapplehotels.com

Thanks

Sangeet Seth
CEO

There are newer reviews for Velvet Apple Hotel

Reviewed March 5, 2011

This was my first visit to India and I thought I would begin in a comfortable hotel.

I received an assurance from the hotel that they would collect me from the airport; they weren't there. When I finally made it to the hotel and asked why, I was told that they didn't have my flight details, despite the e mail I had sent a day or two before confirming the flight number.

Extra charges were made to the train bookings arranged by the hotel which were not itemised or properly explained to me.

This is a minor quip compared with the really unpleasant experience I had with one of the managers the second evening I was there. He offered to accompany me to a bar, I accepted and was taken to a bar/club with explicit erotic carvings on the walls. Acccording to the manager, this was because 90% of the people who were there were looking for sex. I said "I'm in the 10% who aren't". I had to be fairly insistent about leaving as I began to get anxious about what might happen and he kept trying to get me to drink. When the bill came, he took it and paid. I would have been perfectly happy to pay for my part in the evening, but wasn't asked to (and made a mistake in not offering). We then returned to the hotel and I went to my room alone. Shortly afterwards, I got a phonecall from the other manager saying that Mr Nav would be adding 50% of the cost of the evening to my bill. I went to reception and said I wouldn't be paying that as it wasn't a hotel charge. Nav, then tried to phone me repeatedly and eventually I took the phone of the hook. I went to reception where there was a disagreement about "the charge" culminating in Nav screaming at me. The other manager tried to stop him. This went on for about half an hour. I felt upset and humiliated and quite frightened.

Aside from this, the hotel is located in a pleasant part of Delhi, though not very convenient for seeing Connaught Square (a half hour auto rickshaw ride away). The room seemed reasonably clean though the bathroom smelt whenever it got wet presumably because of the dirty shower curtain.

I definately wouldn't recommend this hotel to travellers or tourists, in particular women travelling alone.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank londonpamelag
Reviewed February 26, 2011

I stayed at the Velvet Apple for 4 nights in February, and was pleasantly surprised. Delhi hotels are overpriced and of poor quality, and it's very hard to find a decent one other than the super-pricey 5 stars. But this one met all my criteria - the room was spacious, well-appointed and clean; the bed and linen were fresh and comfortable; and the bathroom was thoroughly decent. The food is also very good, which I wouldn't have expected in a little hotel like this. GK1 is a nice area, and the hotel is a short distance from an excellent market (M-block market).
I didn't like the ground floor room they gave me first, as I found it too dark, but the upper-room floor to which they switched me upon request was perfect. I suppose in the hot months the ground floor rooms would have their advantages. The one problem I encountered was unreliable wireless access. That's important to me, as I was in Delhi for work. It did function sometimes, though. The staff were courteous and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 12, 2011

I was going to spend a fortune for 3 nights for 2 room and this did the job for me, the hotel were kind enough to give me a room at 09:00 in the morning so we could relax, staff were very helpful to us throughout our stay. You get what you pay for and I was happy with what i received.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 9, 2011

We spent 4 nights at the Velvet Apple and this was our first time at this hotel.
A small hotel with great ambience and excellent service.
We did not expect to see grand lobby/walkways but did find everything that one would look for in a hotel of this category as Velvet Apple. We were greeted well by the security and the porch staff and well assisted to get our luggage unloaded and carted on the front desk. The lady at the front desk was prompt to hand us the key and did complete all formalities within no time which was impressive.

We were guided to the room by the bell boy who explained us of all the services in the room including breakfast timings and other amenities in the room. The room décor is minimalist and contemporary and must comment that the colour scheme and the furnishings use are of far superior quality adding to the aesthetics. Indeed very much at par with any business/boutique hotel in the city; has trendy flat screen TV, mini bar, safety vault etc. The bed was very comfortable and the air conditioning was just perfect for the chill close to 3*C Delhi was grappling with then. Internet on Wi-Fi kept us connected through.

I am personally a bit critical about the bathroom and its upkeep. Was pleased to see the levels of hygiene and cleanliness maintained. Hot water was available round the clock and the amenities & linen provided were just right.

The room service menu is diverse though felt that the pricing was a bit too steep; yet must say that the food was presented well and did taste awesome every time we ordered it.

Overall would rate Velvet Apple as a fine hotel that’s far beyond just comfortable and would definitely love to stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2011

The hotel was located in a very central location just by the business hub in Delhi, and was so convenient for me to reach my business counterpart. Staff was so nice and helpful, attended all my requested within minutes, and provided a very good service. My room and bed was nice and clean, pillows were so good and that is something special I liked about the room. Internet facilities were provided FOC. It was a 3 days of comfortable trip, and for me, It was a successful trip hence I got my deal. Thank you guys

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 18, 2010

Excellent rooms, excellent service and great location. Our stay at the Velvet Apple was a revelation of sorts. Never knew I could get 5-Star facilities at 3-Star rates in the heart of Delhi. The hotel has well appointed rooms – as good, if not better than some of the 5-Star hotels in Delhi I've stayed in. The 24-hour unlimited Wi-Fi internet connection was of great help as we could use VoIP to save on on our international calls.

The in-room ironing board and full size iron was perfect to remove the packing creases from our clothes. The shoe polish machine in the common area took care of keeping our footwear sparkling clean for business and personal meetings. Laundry service was quick. And the staff was ever so helpful.

The bathroom, which I am personally very finicky about, was clean and well designed and had all modern gadgets and quality toiletries. Sparkling clean and with a high-pressure flow of both hot and cold water.

We even used the banquet hall in the basement to host a small get-together. The food was excellent. The chef was very co-operative and knowledgable. The presentation for our party was done to perfection and all arrangements were made in time and just the way we wanted – right down to the minutest details.

All in all, a perfect place to stay. Difficult to find any fault in this one.

Highly recommended.