“It is all true! the best.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Saubhag Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #39 of 1,076 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Cape Coral, Florida
“It is all true! the best.”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

It has taken me almost one month to process my wonderful tour of Northern India/Nepal. At the end of the two week tour my friend and I added four extra days at Saubhag. We were very proud to think we were able to make all our own arrangements. Ha ha. We couldn't have done it without the incomparable Meera Dass. ALL the previous 5 star reviews are accurate. Every word and every description. Perfect. I will add that the location is very pleasant across from a small park. The drivers that Meera arranged for us were terrific. Ravi spoke English well and gave good input. Wonderful Mr. Singh is a gentleman with enough English to transport you to any place in town. Ask him to take you to the Sikh temple. Airport transport - smooth. Every morning we ordered just about anything we wanted for breakfast and we also ate three nights at the Saubag-- delicious, fresh and interesting meals. This was so helpful after a long day of sightseeing and shopping. Meera even gave us a cooking lesson (chicken curry). There are free computers available and lots of shopping tips and advice on where to go. Don't miss the Ghandi Museum. If you desire time in Delhi without the hurly- burly of a tour, it magically becomes possible with the aid of Meera and her very articulate and lovely family. Her staff are gentle and helpful and all of them at Dass & Company made our vacation better than we ever thought possible. Delhi soon became our favorite city thanks to all of them. Kudos to a remarkable haven and its very remarkable owner. PS. It would be very appropriate for a solo female traveler.

Room Tip: they are all good. Bathrooms really large and comfortable. Lots of hot water.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Anthony M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2014

This was my first ever visit to India. How lucky was I, and my wife, to have Saubhag as our first stay. We were meeting there two others in our small group who were to travel around India, one of whom was a seasoned traveller to India and had used Meera's a number of times. I had no idea what to expect as we were driven through the neighbourhood streets by the car that collected us from the airport. What a lovely greeting upon arrival, as though we were old friends. A cool refreshing drink first then Meera showed us our room; having heard that I was interested in birds and would be bird watching in India, Meera had put me in the first floor front room, with balcony overlooking the small garden, trees, and park opposite, and lots of birds!
Meera was a delightful hostess, providing wonderful food, help advice and guidance (sorted me out a suitable bag when it was clear we needed another bag for our cabin luggage on our later internal flight), and entertained us with tales of their past, their family, their travels, etc.
Sadly we were only staying at Saubhag for two nights, so our stay was all too short. Knowing that we were then travelling by overnight sleeper train from Delhi to Katni, Meera saw us off with packed meals for each of us for our journey.
I hope I may have the opportunity to stay again, for longer next time!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BigglesTony
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 30, 2014

This was my second time staying with Meera and her wonderful family. The first was with my husband. This time I was traveling solo and was SO happy to be able to stay at Saubhag again. The location is perfect. In a gorgeous quiet neighborhood but still close to the metro and Karol Bagh market. Rooms are cozy and quiet with fantastic bathrooms. Meera continues to be the best hostess around and I believe has completely ruined me for other guest houses! She really is that amazing. I'm planning on returning to Delhi next year and this is the only place I can imagine staying!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank DianeDowntown
Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Recommended to us, we booked to stay here at both the start and end of our visit this year.....absolutely the best decision we could have made. Our hostess, Meera, was a wonderful lady and helped us to organise our car and driver for our ongoing journey as well as providing a local contact to visit the sights in Delhi. This home stay is fabulous! We had a twin bedded and a double room, both en suite, with a lounge and a kitchen....more of a suite or apartment really. Breakfast was included and in the end we were also given our evening meals to save us going out again each evening after our sightseeing! After a disastrous fleecing in a local silk shop our hostess, a formidable lady, confiscated my purchases, returned them for a refund, then took me shopping to buy my wall hangings for under £30 for three instead of over £100 for two! We can highly recommend staying with Meera if you get the opportunity....you will not regret it for a second! We have invited Meera to stay with us should she ever wish to visit the
UK and you will too,I am sure, once you meet her!

Room Tip: You just need to book.....all the rooms are fabulous!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Pelpec
Villepot
Reviewed March 11, 2014

What a piece of great good fortune it was that found us, arriving for our first visit to India, on the doorstep of Meera Dass's comfortable and elegant guesthouse. Tea and biscuits were quickly provided and we were then shown to a delightful room on the first floor. This room had been provided with everything that one could hope for and a few that many higher priced hotels would do well to emulate.

Meera is a well travelled ex teacher and a great character who was able to give us many tips on coming to terms with the Indian way of life. The home cooked evening meals we enjoyed were delicious, plentiful and exceptional value.

An example of her wonderful service: before dinner I took a shower, problem! I found I had forgotten to pack any underwear beyond that which I was wearing. On learning of this Meera and her husband drove me to the nearest shops (at 8.30pm) to re-equip myself with underpants. Over and above the call of duty? I think so!

Thank you Meera - our stay with you was one of the highlights of our month in India

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank le-pecheur-Villepot
manchester uk
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Where do I start!! This was everything and much more than we could have hoped for. We were given a warm welcome by Meera on our arrival who made us tea and showed us around her beautiful guesthouse, that is tastefully furnished and decorated, immaculately clean and had every amenity needed, including comfy bed and tea and coffee making facilities in our room. Her excellent taste and attention to detail was first rate.

Meera made us feel instantly like one of her family and couldn't have made us feel more at home. She sorted out our mobile phone for us whilst we were out sight seeing and made sure that we got to see the best parts of Delhi by giving her very friendly and helpful driver Ravi specific instructions as to where to visit and where to avoid. Ravi certainly did not disappoint and gave us a very enjoyable tour of the city in his own friendly and charming way.

It was evident that all Meera's staff loved and respected her too which is also very good to see. According to Ravi this is the 'Best Guesthouse in the whole of India' and having spent a month touring northern parts of India and on a previous trip in southern India staying at various guesthouses along the way, we are inclined to agree with Ravi's bold statement. At any rate it was by far the best we stayed in and we have stayed in a number of very good guesthouse.

Delicious breakfast, mouthwatering evening meals, everything cooked beautifully with fresh ingredients.

Thanks again Meera. Hope to see you again in the future.

P & F (Manchester UK)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sifika
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Thank you, thank you Meera. I arrived in Delhi with an apprehensive family and Meera was the best introduction to India they could have experienced. She could not do enough for us. As well as providing an amazing sanctuary within her home, she provided us with the best every driver (thank you Mr Singh), wonderful meals at any time of day and advice that was unsurpassed. Meera herself is a treasure. She goes out at all hours of the night and day to pick up her visitors and catering for any special needs is done without a hesitation. The local children come in to be fitted for and provided with school shoes and educational materials. Meera runs a wonderful team of people within her home and we can't wait to return. Best accommodation we have ever had.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family