“Best Place to live in Delhi”
Review of Ginger New Delhi

Ginger New Delhi
Ranked #80 of 712 Hotels in New Delhi
Reviewed January 18, 2011

If you are on a tour to Delhi. Ginger Delhi is the best place to live there.
It is right above New Delhi Metro Station which gives you access to any place in Delhi.
You just need to get down in hotel, walk not more than 40 steps, take another lift to directly Metro Station !

I booked Family Room @ 1300 INR. Unbelievable rate ! I was on a tour with my Grandparents.

However this Hotel is Self Service themed. After check-in, you get a Card to your room. You need to carry baggage on your own using trolleys. There is no room service, its not needed though ! Food plaza is located on ground floor, just few floors away.

It is Cumsum Food plaza, open 24 hours a day ! You can get variety of food items. Ofcourse Self Service here too !

But there are few things where we need service. Though we booked Family room of 4, we had only 1 towel in bathroom. So repeatedly requested reception for towels. After 3-4 requests, I got towels. They need some more staff.

They clean room once a day and also restock 4 Mineral water bottles and coffee/tea sachets. There's an electric kettle in the room.

16" LCD TV is quite small. It was not having all channels. Even not DD National And DD News. As it is Capital of India, they must have those channels on the TV.

Travel Desk could be helpful bust costly. I asked about drop service at Airport, their rate was 900 INR. I asked at outside, Taxi Stand is just in front of the Hotel. Its Railway Station area so you can get taxi or rickshaw anytime. We managed to get a taxi to airport

There is an ATM center in hotel only and a pharmacy as well. I used ATM center to withdraw some cash.

You can see glorious sunrise from windows of the Hotel. Rising Delhi looks nice. As full hotel is air tight and, there was no effect of cold on us !

The thing I liked most about this hotel is location. It is nice to catch early morning train from NDLS.
2 lifts access to metro station is awesome :) . We roamed whole Delhi with metro only. And rickshaw at few places. We were used to leave hotel at 9AM, see few places, come back for lunch and again site seeing in the evening. It is right above metro station !

You do need to book it early as rates are attractive and bookings get full. Its a really the best place to stay in Delhi.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank electrosam
There are newer reviews for Ginger New Delhi

Reviewed January 15, 2011

I knew going into it that this would be budget lodging, so I had already calibrated my expectations and wasn't anticipating 5 star accommodations. Let me start with the positives - this place is an incredible value for the money. And if you're coming/going by train, you're right near the station which makes it very convenient. There is an on-site restaurant and tour desk to book trips, drivers, or get info. The A/C in the room worked well, there was ample storage space (a wardrobe and some shelves), and some basic items such as soap and pen/paper were provided (a surprise for something in this price range).

So where did things fall short? For starters, it was a challenge to locate - our cabbie had to stop and ask for assistance a couple times and when we finally saw the Ginger sign, we had to cross our fingers that the cab would make it down the muddy, puddle-filled road (it was unpaved and this was monsoon season) to get us to the front door. The immediate area seemed a bit sketchy - even late at night there were always people milling around outside. At first it was unsettling, but after a day or two you realize people are generally doing their own thing and it didn't really feel threatening.

Overall the service at the front desk was poor. The reception clerk was on the phone when we arrived shortly after midnight, and took his time finishing his conversation before acknowledging us. Check-in seemed to take an unnecessarily long time, and when we finally received the keys to our 2 rooms, they weren't even on the same floor despite being part of the same reservation. The night before we checked out we asked if they could arrange a taxi to bring us to the airport the next day and were told to call one ourselves. When we asked for a number to a cab company the clerk seemed very put off and then finally dialed someplace himself and told us a cab would meet us in the morning. Yes, we could have just ventured over to the train station and grabbed a cab, but that would have meant trudging through the mud and puddles with our suitcases in hand and it didn't seem very practical or hygienic (there were things on the street that the rain swept into the puddles that would make you cringe). Plus there were 4 of us and we needed to guarantee we would all fit in one vehicle.

The rooms themselves were minimalist and the beds were quite comfortable if you like a more firm mattress. Bottled water was provided each day, as well as various instant teas. There was a small TV mounted on the wall (we were curiously intrigued by the MTV-like videos of traditionally dressed Indian people dancing to Indian rap music, with the occasional appearance of a scantily clad blonde "westerner"). The room colors were bold, but the paint was worn and in need of a fresh coat. Our bathroom was dirty when we arrived. There was still garbage in the trash bin, hardly any toilet paper remaining, and the grout was very dingy and gave bathroom an overall gross feel. The shower took a while to heat up and the pressure wasn't very strong. Our room was on the side of the building that did not face the train station, so the noise wasn't too terrible (especially with the A/C going). Our friends were 2 floors up and on the other end of the building and they could still hear the street noise below even with the A/C. So if you have a choice, ask for a room that's on the same side of the building as reception.

The on-site services were OK. The restaurant's breakfast buffet didn't have much to choose from, but the staff were friendly and the price was good (about $3 per person - be sure to try the various juices and chai tea!). The concierge/travel desk was somewhat helpful in booking our Taj Mahal trip, however we were quite surprised at the language barrier. It seems like somebody in that role should have a better command of English as he is dealing mainly with tourists, but perhaps Ginger draws a more indigenous clientele. Nonetheless, he was able to arrange a driver for a full day, to bring 4 of us to & from Agra in one day. (We ran into some major traffic problems on the way back and the "day" ended up lasting about 17 hours instead of 12, so we tipped our driver extra). Note to all: if you're planning a day trip like this, make sure you have a few hours of contingency - the traffic is unpredictable and quite heavy for most of the ride between Delhi and Agra!

I think the reason my expectations fell short was because the website made the place look so squeaky clean and new, but it was actually quite tired and filthy in areas. I'm surprised to see that the overall rating is a 4 with over 250 reviews - it makes me wonder if we just got one of the worst rooms in the place? Regardless, if you're just looking for budget accommodations and a bed, and the weather's not too rainy, this place is a real bargain.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank Maruru
Reviewed January 10, 2011

When you try to book the Ginger next to the railway station, it's automatically booked in Vivek Vihar. The taxi driver called the hotel 10 times and 40 min later we managed to find it.
Awfull district, dirty hotel. When the elevator was switched off we tried to go down by stairs. The way out was blocked with rubbish.
Rooms have terrible smell, the walls were dirty, bathroom with cockroaches...
Early morning we woke up with the sounds of air-operated hammer as there were constructions outside. See the photo!

Don't spoil your holidays by going there!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
6  Thank JtheWonderer
Reviewed January 8, 2011

We booked a family room (4 people) for a really good price of 1100 rupees. The hotel is hard to find even though its so close to the railway station and the metro. We had rickshaw drivers unable to get us there. We arrived at 3 am, and had to wait half an hour while they made up the room. The entrance was a shock- full of potholes and packers sleeping. But we eventually found it fascinating, and loved watching the comings and goings.
The family room was great. Small but nicely laid out, with AC, small fridge with bottled water, nice shower and towels. Breakfast is not included, and the breakfast in the restaurant is not much to talk about. But we liked eating lunch and dinner in the restaurant. The clientele is a nice mix of Indians and foreigners. We arranged for internet access, which took a day but finally got taken care of. We used the laundry service, which is very expensive. They bagged each pair of socks!
We tried to book a room for our last day, but they were full. Worth booking a couple months ahead.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank olivepit
Reviewed January 6, 2011

I thought I had booked into this hotel only to find that they had made me a booking at the overflow hotel 15km out in east Delhi. They would not refund me so I decided to give it a go in Vivek Vihar. I got a rickshaw in and out of the center which was actually quite fun for a tourist as i got a good look at some areas of Delhi that you would not normally see.

The ginger hotel was very dirty and had a strong smell. The room was very small and the bathroom dirty. You did get free internet access thought and the restaurant was excellent (food wise and service wise).

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank tell-it-as-it-is47
Reviewed January 3, 2011

I visited New Delhi in December 2010 and stayed in Ginger for 2 days in the third week of December. The reason for my choosing Ginger was obvious: lowest room tariff, proximity to the Railway station (I arrived there in Rajdhani Express) and the many positive reviews on tripadvisor. Encountered problems when getting in the room as the door-card wasn’t working. Upon reporting this at the reception, I was told that the system wasn’t working properly and hence, my room number couldn’t be configured on the card. The problem wasn't solved till I checked out the next evening (I paid half day's rent extra to extend my stay.)

The hotel is located bang opposite the New Delhi Railway station, just outside platform number 16 towards the Ajmeri Gate side. The access road to the hotel is really filthy and filled with the parcel guys and stray dogs and thus, guests coming in after dark or early in the morning need to be extra careful.

My room was a twin room with the basics: two beds, one 21” LG LCD TV, a bathroom with hot and cold water facilities, including hot water in the shower (Thank you, Ginger!!) My room was not cleaned even once during my two-day stay. I saw many foreigner guests there, including single women travelers, which indicates that the hotel is safe for women. There is no room service, and the restaurant in the ground floor, Comesum, is your only resort if you are looking for an early morning or late night snack. The food there was nice, but slightly over-priced. During the day-time, one can visit Connaught Place, which is just 10 minutes away from the hotel (we visited Tao restaurant in the E Block - highly recommended). The Metro station is also right outside the hotel, giving this place easy accessibility.

The next morning, I asked for a cab to take me and my partner for a city tour, and it was arranged immediately at a very reasonable price.

Overall, this is a good place, but the cleanliness sucks. Will definitely visit this place again, next time hoping for a cleaner room.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Himanshu D
Reviewed January 1, 2011

We had a reservation at Ginger for two nights in December. I booked our stay there primarily because of its proximity to the New Delhi Railway Station (NDLS), and for its affiliation with the Tata brand, which is well-known throughout India -- they own the Taj brand, too -- so I didn't think it'd be all that bad. Boy, was I wrong. After flying into Delhi and taking a cab to Ginger from the airport (cabbie couldn't find the hotel -- not trying to scam us or anything, or send us to another hotel that paid him commission, he honestly couldn't find it!), we arrived at the Ginger at around midnight. The front desk clerk looked half-asleep -- sure, fine, it's midnight. But then he spent around 5-10 minutes seemingly searching for a room for us on the computer (from what I could gather, many rooms hadn't been cleaned). Unacceptable for a customer with an advance reservation.

After being informed that the card reader on our room was broken and and having a housekeeper let us in with a key, we found that the room was pretty filthy. The floors were dirty, the walls were stained around the light switches and doorknobs, and the sheets and duvet were stained and dingy. Not what I expected from a Tata brand hotel.

After a harrowing walk to the train station early the next morning and a long day touring the Taj Mahal and the Agra Fort, my wife and I decided to eat the $40 cost and stay at a different hotel our second night in Delhi. I wouldn't go back to Ginger.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Hotel Hari Piorko
Hotel Hari Piorko
#54 of 712 in New Delhi
Ginger Hotel - Gurugram
#51 of 237 in Gurugram (Gurgaon)

Been to Ginger New Delhi? Share your experiences!