“Delhi is finally growing on me!”
Review of Thikana

Thikana
Ranked #7 of 1,128 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 27, 2012

After traveling through Delhi over the course of 10 years, I'm finally starting to appreciate what it has to offer. This city has always seemed inaccessible and daunting, but staying at Thikana has helped me to see another side of India's capital. The owners, Atul and Sheetal are gracious hosts and the Thikana staff (Athing, Mary, Ramu, Gopal) are fantastically accommodating! The B&B provides a tranquil juxtaposition the rambunctious Delhi attractions and Sheetal and Atul will give you sage advice on how to discover and explore this city that they love and call home. They encourage all of their guests to integrate and immerse themselves into India and provide tools to make that happen. Thank you Thikana for helping me to, well, love Delhi!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautiful!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Lisa L

Reviewed March 13, 2012

I stayed in Thikana for approximatley 1 month during a business visit and what a place to stay for that length of time! I honestly didnt want to go home due to the friendliness of everyone I met in Thiknana.

Having stayed there for a substantial amount of time, I got to know everyone really well and I must say that Atul and Sheetal are outstanding hosts. They helped me get many a problem sorted ranging from mobile phone top-ups, taxis, drivers, train tickets, tour guides.... I could go on and on. They also gave me great help with the local cuisine and I often had the priveledge of eating some of their home made food as well as from the local Gulmohar Club eatery. The food was unbelievable, where ever it was made, so I always trusted their judgement completely and I must say that in 1 month, I never ate the same thing twice!

The men of the house, Gopal and Ramu, where always there when required and made sure that there were no problems, regardless how small they were. They are true gentlemen.

I think that all of the other reviews speak for themselves and this one only adds to it. All I can say is that you will definately not be dissappointed when you book to stay in Thikana. It is a wonderful place run by wonderful people.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Spent three nights at Thikana in the middle of February at the start of our tour. After a long journey and the hectic drive from the airport we were grateful to reach the peace of Thikana. It's a lovely home, beautifully decorated in a nice area of South Delhi.
The staff were excellent and we really enjoyed sitting on the terrace with a cold beer waiting for our take out order from their local club. The food was first class, we particulary enjoyed the lamb rolls.
Nice to talk with other guests in the evening in one of the lounges, also joined by Atul the owner, who is a great host and loves to see his guests interact. Seems as though a number of the guests are return business traveller who prefer the ambience of this small boutique hotel as opposed to the impersonal 5 star hotels on offer.
We were on the first floor of the building which is also used as the reception area - can be a little disturbed during the night when guests are arriving from the airport in the wee hours.
All in all this was a great introducation to India and would not hesitate in staying again if we return to Delhi.

Reviewed March 10, 2012

My husband and I visited India with our 9 month old son over Christmas and New Year. Staying at Thikana saved our trip. It was truly a home away from home. The gracious owners, Sheetal and Atul, were very very helpful during this first trip to India. Their home was home was warm, welcoming and beautifully decorated. Our son (9 months old) was teething and it was tough on us first time parents. However, we received alot of support, advice and patience from the staff and hosts. Another huge plus was food service. We didn't need to go to a restaurant but simply ordered delivery and the staff will setup the food and table for us like it were a home cooked meal. It makes a big difference not eating from containers and with plastic forks.

This is something not possible at even a 5-star hotel. Truly, it felt like a home away from home and we will definitely stay at Thikana again if ever we coming to New Delhi. We thank Sheetal and Atul so much for having us at their place, we are happy to make two new friends in New Delhi and we highly recommend Thikana.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 10, 2012

This was our third trip to India and Delhi was simply the starting point prior to heading off on tour. As such we were only booked to stay at Thikana for one night. Following a long journey and an early morning start scheduled the next day we decided to spend an enjoyable afternoon sitting out on the terrace listening to the sounds of Delhi with a beer. We decided to order in food and as previous reviewers have reported, the food delivered was fabulous and extremely cheap- made all the more special in that it was served up quite beautifully - unlike any other Indian take away I have ever had!
We were given a warm welcome by all the staff and especially enjoyed chatting with Atul and we were only sorry that we didn't get to meet his wife as well.
Atul suggested that we might enjoy a massage to help us sleep well. He then telephoned a local therapist who treated us both to a relaxing massage which seemed to combine shiatsu and reflexology. So with that, the beer and a very comfortable bed, we slept extremely well!
Reading through the previous reviews, I am sorry that we had to get up early in order to catch a train as it meant we were not able to to enjoy a breakfast with the guests. Nevertheless, the staff at had prepared us a packed breakfast to eat which was most greatly appreciated.
I would certainly recommend anyone thinking of going to Delhi to consider this option in preference to a hotel. And, if and when we return to Delhi, I will make sure that we get to enjoy more than one night in this special place!

2  Thank queensquitter
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Our experience of The Thikana was excellent. We stayed two nights at the start of a two week trip and then one night at the end. During the first two nights I was very ill and the owner could not have been more helpful and sympathetic, bringing up juices and medicines free of charge and offering to help in any way he could - a very genuine and kind host, the staff are also praiseworthy, they go out of their way to make your stay pleasant. The room was clean and tidy and smart, the communal spaces were stylish, the balcony had many plants and was lit by fairy lights in the evening, beer was for sale at the price they bought it for - 80 rupees, far cheaper than any other hotel we stayed in. It was a nice, small, homely and friendly establishment and I would recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed March 1, 2012

Thikana is a nice place to call home in Delhi. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of sleep we had in Delhi, despite the street noise, we slept soundly every night. Atul said it was due to Vasu Shastra (Indian Feng shui) placement of beds and mattress quality!

A very good point about Thikana is that you can order a meal and have it served to you at the comfort of the dining room. We took advantage of this service many times when we were too lazy to go out in the night after a long day of shopping and battling traffic noise and jams. You could also have a very nice sundowner at the Terrace (one could have a nice really cold beers or wines).

The family gave us very good recommendations for shopping as well as dining options and we made full use of their advice.

A few points to work on are firstly the airport transfer arrangements, as both times when we have arranged for transfers, the drivers were late and we had to call several times to reconfirm. Also it would be great if the team could be better trained on how to welcome and brief guests upon arrival as the family members are often busy and not available all the time.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room if you are susceptible to street noise.