Open today: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM

from $12.00
from $12.00
from $32.00
More Info
All reviews hailey road connaught place step wells barakhamba road haunted places protected monument climb down water level high rise buildings water reservoir archeological survey of india visit this place worth a visit steep steps jantar mantar both sides central delhi
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Sync this with your connaught place visit. Shop and eat out and later spend an hour reminiscing in the beauty of this magnificent step well.
Its quite grand on the inside, you wouldn't expect such a great view untill the point you've entered the enclosure protected by the Archaelogical Survey of India.

Great for a quick stop !

PS: The gates close at 5 PM

3  Thank Anandit
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Who would imagine such an incredible structure could exist in a sleepy little by lane in the heart of New Delhi?

I first read about this ancient step well right here on Tripadvisor, found some images on Flickr and was thus determined to visit on my next trip to Delhi. That happened this week when the weather was just perfect for such an 'expedition'.

Getting there:
The exact location can be found on Google maps by typing in "Agrasen ki baoli" New Delhi.
This is very close to Connaught Place, in a by lane off Hailey Road,. It is the first by lane on the left if entering Hailey Road from Kasturba Gandhi Marg. If entering Hailey Lane from Tolstoy Marg, again you need to take the first lane on the left, the well is just beyond the small dhobi ghat.

There are no sign boards on Hailey Road nor on Hailey Lane, so just ask any local passerby to point you in the right direction.

"Ugrasen ki baoli" as the signboard in situ says, looks like a nondescript, featureless stone structure from the outside. Walk through a small stone doorway and look immediately to your left .......... Oh My God is what I exclaimed in sheer delight!

What greets the eye is an ancient step well, thought to date from the fourteenth century. A long flight of steps takes you deep down to the fourth level. Each level is replete with stone archways which are better seen in the accompanying photos.

A very narrow passage through the lowest arch takes you to the actual well beyond. I did not care to squeeze myself through this passage but others there who did said that there was quite a good level of water in the well.

If you search with 'competentauthoritydelhi' and 'Ugrasen Ki Baoli' as the key words, you will see an old photo showing the water upto the top most level of the well. I do not know if water still fills up so high nowadays even in a good monsoon, I believe that much of the original acquifers were blocked when modern water and sewage pipes were laid in the area.

I was apprehensive about how safe it would be to visit this unknown place on my own but I need not have worried as there were enough people around. Ugrasen Ki Baoli is obviously a favourite haunt for young lovers who were there in plenty, hiding amidst the shaded alcoves. A few college students were also there apart from the Romeos & Juliets, and yours truly.

If like me, you have not seen this type of step well before, then it is indeed a fascinating experience and makes for a good photo opportunity. If in the area anyway, it would be foolish to give Agrasen Ki Baoli a miss. Foreigners might also enjoy visiting the small typical Dhobi Ghat on the same lane just beyond the Step Well.

I enjoyed my visit here and would go again if in the area.

TIP:
Sensible footwear needed for climbing down the many steps and up again!

13  Thank Gita-TA
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have been in Delhi for four years and never knew about it. I had a few guests over who told me that they had read about a Stepwell near CP in a newspaper. I wasn't sure if they were serious about finding it out. We went exploring and here's what we saw-

1. Head towards CP on Kasturba Marg. Take a right at Hailey road and then the immediate left turn. You will enter a lane. You cannot take a u-turn here. It is a narrow gully. You have to go further down to take a turn. So I suggest you park somewhere else and walk.

2. The Stepwell is huge. Almost 60 mtrs long. Take a right from the entrance and go to the top of the well for a great photo.

3. There are no barricades so be careful if with children.

4. They say it has 103 steps. It wasn't very difficult to go down to the base of the well. Do try it. They also say it is permanently immersed in water but there was no water when we went. (I read somewhere that it has started drying up after 2002).

5. If you look at it from the top you see two areas. One is with arched walls in tiers. Second is as you finish the steps, you enter a column which is domed at the top. This is the area of the main well. (See pic).

6. The third area which you do not see in the beginning is a really small tunnel (which was probably a waterway) which goes out of that domed column into the exteriors, away from the steps. This is where the water entered the well from. It is not easy to squeeze your way into this tiny tunnel. You might have to sit or crawl you way in. Try it only if you are not claustrophobic.

7. To the right of the topmost step is a small mosque with a whale-back roof. Most people do not venture that side as the security guards sit there but if you simply walk up to take a look, they will move and you can see that this four pillared mosque made of red-sandstone has carved 'chaitya motifs and stucco medallions'.

There is no entrance of photography fee. Around mid-day there will be a lot of school children and college youngsters so it is good to visit it early in the morning (around 10am or 11am).

Note: I am still confused if it is Ugrasen (as the location and historians say) or Agrasen Ki Baoli (as people and the internet says) as these were two different people in history.

9  Thank Vandana N
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Really good place in the middle of all the tall building. Seriously one of those places left in delhi where you find very less crowd. If u have a good camera u can really have some gr8 clicks here.

5  Thank Kamaljeet_12
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Out of my boredom from all the other places in Delhi that Friday afternoon I was here. I was amazed to see the colorful paintings on the wall. The not so attractive front turned out to be a deception while entering inside as Oh my Gosh! it was so hollow. It was not expected as I controlled myself( I wonder why they haven't put a caution on the entrance). Nevertheless it was so flabbergasting to be there.

On the stairs there were couples cuddling each other and hundreds of pigeons on the tree welcoming you with their friendly feces. & you cant do anything about it too. It was quite fun stepping down and watching the whole arena like a panorama.
While getting out , the thing no one knew about and remained unknown was that on the west there was this mosque which had no relation to the Baoli as it was made by Raja Ugrasen who didnot make the mosque.
But anyways the confusion apart It is indeed an awesome hangout & I would like it to be preserved better.

Date of experience: December 2012