“hidden gem”

Ranked #209 of 1,082 New Delhi B&B and Inns
mumbai
“hidden gem”
Reviewed January 9, 2011

This inn was the best thing that happened to my on my trip to the capital. Since it was a bussiness trip, i hoped to have a comfortable stay, so that i can focus on my job. And my wishes were well granted. The location of this place is the best part. It is very well connected, to the city. It takes minimal time to reach anywhere from here. the place is well decorated, with a lot of emphasis on the indian culture. Very tastefully done. facilities were upto the mark. Everything that i needed was already present. awesome staff. Very concerned and approachable. the owners, were very hospitable. They gave me great tips, on places to see, and those that i can avoid, considering the time constraints. the pick up and drop services are also very nice. I wa stension and hassle free. the room that i selected, had a massive king size royal bed, wich took me by surprise. I had never seen something like that before. the bathrooms were also very clean. the lounge area was my next bets hang ou place. The swing that is, was simply fun!....It just sad that my trip was limited. But cant wait to plan my next visit!....

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2010

I don't very often write reviews but we had such an awful stay at Inn at Delhi that I felt I must warn other travellers.

We stayed for three nights at the beginning of our trip to India and one night at the end.

My major comments are:

1. Location - this B&B is a long way from the city centre. I should probably have realised this before travelling but in any case, we were willing the get taxis so didn't anticipate a problem. Unfortunately no taxi drivers can find this place! Each evening we spent 10 minutes completely lost with a taxi driver, which was often quite scary. We tried to call the hotel a couple of times to ask them to explain to the driver where the hotel was, but either the phone wasn't answered or the person that answered couldn't understand us or the driver.

2. Noisiness - this is a very noisy hotel, most of the noise caused by the staff. On our first stay we were on the ground floor which is next to the reception desk. There was noise until well after midnight each night and then it started again at 5am each morning. I'm not a light sleeper at all, but it kept us awake each night. The main problem was with the phone which, every morning, rang from 6am - 7am every 5 minutes, for a couple of minutes at a time, without ever being answered. We mentioned this to the owners and they just laughed! Added to this, the staff were in general very noisy, having no consideration for the fact it was after midnight or before 8am. We were just so glad to leave so that we could have a good night's sleep.

3. Rude staff - I have honestly never encountered such rude people in my life. The main receptionist was very surly - she could barely bring herself to say hello to us, and simple requests such as asking for a taxi were met with distain. Her command of english was very basic. However, she was competent as a receptionist which is more than could be said for the people left in charge in the evenings, who could speak no english. Obviously, it is naive of me to expect that everyone in India would speak english, but with such an english website, we assumed that we would be okay at Inn at Delhi. Trying to explain that we had no hot water on our final night was a complete nightmare, as we trying to get a car.

4. Lack of privacy - we were not allowed to lock our room when we left. Also, the staff thought nothing about just walking into our room when we were in there.

Overall, I would describe this as a highly unpleasant place to stay. We were dreading going back there on our last night but had prepaid so had no choice really. We did consider losing the money but decided not to give the owners the satisfaction.

I should add that we did meet the owners at one breakfast - but this was the only time during our four nights there. They seemed very pleasant and helpful and gave us tips on where to go and where to eat - at this point we thought we had misjudged the hotel but then we never saw the owners again and had to deal with their rude staff.

Overall, if you know what you're doing in Delhi, and don't need the support of a reception function, and take ear plugs, then this place is probably fine. In all other circumstances, i would avoid like the plague. It's a horrible place with no respect for its guests.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank Shellyjanineb
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 25, 2010

We stayed at Inn at Delhi, as we had some business at the Mexican Embassy, Delhi. Just wanted to say that we were looked after well and the place has really nice bedrooms! We stayed on the first floor bed, the one in the picture! I have never slept in a bed that needed steps to get onto! It was massive & we felt like royalty! We were treated very well as part of an extended family!

Will love to go there again!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jaminatutu
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2010

We stayed at the Inn at Delhi! We booked at the last minute and arrived in the middle of the night! The security chap at the enterance took us to our room! The owner was awake to greet us, which was abit of surprise in the middle of the night!

We were shown around our room and told to switch on the hot water heater 1 hr before our shower to get hot water! Apparently, the previous guests did not know that & they didn't even bother to read the instructions and complained to the staff!

The next day, we were given a sumptious breakfast & we booked a delhi tour!

The owner's son lookd after us and gave us many travel tips which came in useful, as it is the first time we are going to New Delhi.

Overall, we would recommend the place!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank snorty2001
Bay Area, Ca
Reviewed December 17, 2010

When you first drive to this Inn and step into the entrance of your room, it is a good experience (it is in a posh neighborhood, and the room is very well decorated). Unfortunately, it ended for us there. We arrived late, and the security guy at the gate showed us in (a little confusing, as we were expecting to check in with someone). We had a room with a king bed, but a HARD mattress; our hot water did not work BOTH nights we were there, AND we were charged for the cot they rolled in for the third person (pretty pricey, too) even though we did not even use it the first night. Breakfast was OK; and they do sit down with you and have polite conversation, but are definitely not trying to be friends and I got the sense they really were not interested in anything we said. Also, they will ask you in a very friendly and casual manner whether you want to have a "home cooked dinner" with them and what your food preferences are; be aware - this "home cooked dinner" does not come free and, from the other reviews, is not very good either. Considering the price we paid, we expected far better quality (at least hot water, too).

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank anonymousBA
patna
Reviewed November 30, 2010

I stayed for 3 days in this hotel and found this hotel a great place to stay. This hotel is very well connected with nearest railway station and airport. Staffs were friendly and always happy to help me.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank sumit1987_10
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2010

My partner and I stayed here 2 nights at the start of Nov without any problems and were happy with the service and rooms that we decided to book our last night in India which happened to be my birthday. Unfortunately we were extremely disappointed during our second stay. The dinner provided was below average particularly at 750 INR per person with no starter and a meagre scoop of ice cream for dessert. The price charged warranted top end restaurant food and service which was far from this. The birthday cake my partner organized and had been promised was not provided without explanation. The bedroom sheets were soiled with hair from previous guests - when we had to call from our mobile to complain (as there was no-one in reception) we were ignored. We also didn't have air conditioning as we were told the remote had been removed from the room and the television didn't work. To add to all of this our friends who we had booked a room for were told they didn't have a booking and were subsequently given a spare room without hot water.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple