“Living in Paradise”
Review of Casa Cayuco

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Bastimentos
Casa Cayuco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Morris Plains, New Jersey
“Living in Paradise”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Shortly after we reached Casa Cayuco for our three-day stay, there was a moment where I was alone and ended up talking to myself. It was when I realized I had found the simplicity, tranquility and perfection of paradise. Here I was, in a "living room" perched over calm tropical waters punctuated by gentle waves, with a sandbar in front of me and the jungle behind me. Our hosts, a young couple who had bought the eco-lodge only nine months before, made sure that we had three beautifully-prepared meals each day, plus an afternoon snack, made from fresh local food, such as the freshly-caught fish that the local fisherman came to the dock to sell. And they made some wonderfully-creative drinks. Each night we slept well in our simple room to the multi-layered sounds of the jungle, which our room (and our shower) overlooked. During the day, we had numerous choices of things to do, ranging from a walk into the very different world of the indigenous village nearby, to a snorkeling excursion (led by the amazing indigenous free diver Sebastian), a fishing expedition, kayaking, paddle boarding, swimming in the calm water that never seemed to get too deep, hiking through the jungle and around the island or just lolling around. Plus, we got to meet other guests who were interesting, adventurous and fun to be with. We hope to return soon with a bunch of our friends.

1 Thank Bill F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Wilsonville, Oregon
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My husband and I spent 5 wonderful days at Casa Cayuco in February. We traveled there with another couple and had a most glorious time. Dave and Suzanne are an enthusiastic young couple who are very dedicated to the enjoyment of their guests. Suzanne is a gourmet cook and, with the help of native women, prepared the most delicious meals. The meals are served either in the open air lodge or, in the evenings,out on their dock always with candle lighting - a very romantic atmosphere! Dave is very energetic and loves taking his guest wherever they want to go. We went on three snorkeling adventures with him and saw the most colorful coral, sponges, and sea life (including a yellow seahorse!) We stayed in the Delphin cabin from which we could see the beach only seconds away. Nestled in a tropical admostphere, we couldn't ask for a more ideal place to stay!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Paris, France
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I spent four days at Casa Cayuco. And it was very strange, I felt so relaxed that I had the impression as ifI had been there for at least a week. The place is really beautyfull. And the young couple who own Casa Cayuco are just great. They do care about their guests and their staff is very nice too. The cooking is fantastic. We had even lobster one night. They suggest very interesting excursions. What I liked most was the calm at the hotel. No sand flees at the beach, no moskitos while I was there, but many fish around the islands close by. There is even WIFI and that can be a plus. Nice private shower. Electricity. Purified water. Very good matrace and nice sheets. Moskito net. I loved the place!

Room Tip: I had a bungolow, I think it is called Pelicano and the view is wonderfull, you can see the beach an...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Stephan7511
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My wife and I have just finished 3 months' of travelling around the world. Casa Cayuco was one of the very best places we stayed at for a whole variety of reasons. The location is fanatstic. The on the beach/edge of jungle setting is stunning, as was our room : we had the use of Pelicano on the beach. We swam and kayaked from the beach in stunningly blue water.
The resort is small so all the guests are on first name terms and the staff are fantastic. Suzanne and Dave are great hosts: they are very relaxed and friendly and this sums up the whole feel of the place. We loved the mangrove snorkelling: it was probably the most extraordinary snorkelling/diving we have ever done. The colours were fantastic and we spotted a yellow seahorse as well. The trip over to the Zapatillas Islands is also highly recommended. The food was great : the peanut butter cheesecake for pudding one night was as heavenly as the display of stars from the beach. The generous wine pour at dinner as advertised is just that and Suzanne mixes a mean cocktail too ! We were very sad to leave after 4 nights though I felt totally relaxed.

1 Thank UKaussie
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed there for 4 nights, in one of the beach front houses. If we could rate this place 6 stars we would. Everything was perfect, the hosts, Sue and Loydd, the staff, the food, the scenery, the trips, the other guests - we felt like being at home. The food made by Sue was just amazing. Unique and so tasty and with a variety - just incredible. The trips offered were perfect, boat trips to the islands for a day, snorkeling, paddeling, hiking into the rain forest, on the island or just relax. We did everything and did enjoy the unique location far away from Bocas town. (Boat ride to Bocas is expensive, but also not necessary). Unfortunatly Sue and Loydd have left the property to other hosts, so we cannot judge the new hosts. But the loacation and the place is the same, so this is what we can definatly recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TitschMe
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 28, 2014

My family and I spent 3 wonderful days last week at Casa Cayuco. Dave and Suzanne have created a gem. They and their staff from the local village took wonderful care of all guests. We loved the snorkeling excursions, complete with dolphins in the wake of the boat. The food was marvelous. I could not recommend Casa Cayuco more highly.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Darryl2014
Eugene
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My husband and I traveled to this paradise with two other couples in February 2014 and stayed four nights. We could not have asked for a better trip -- except perhaps to have stayed longer. The meals were exceptional, the beach scene fantastic and the host and hostess of Casa Cayuco were accommodating, polite and always ready to serve our every need. We snorkeled, fished, swam, hiked, paddle boarded, kayaked and just relaxed on their dock. The best part for me was waking up early (we stayed in Pelicano), putting on my bathing suit, walking perhaps 20 steps to the beach, grabbing a paddle board and greeting the sunrise on the ocean. Besides the numerous excursions offered, one can just hike on the beach or kayak to the indigenous village and take a tour there. I loved the fact that Suzanne and David incorporate not only the food, but also the lifestyle of the indigenous people, creating an exceptional experience for their guests. On one particular snorkeling trip, we watched Sebastian, a native of the island, catch lobsters with a simple stick with wire attached. Incredible to watch! The food was very good, including their afternoon snacks and desserts. This is not a Hilton Hotel -- this is a resort that offers a true remote island experience. You can see monkeys, caman, frogs, geckos, flowers (too many to count) and exotic birds. Keep an open mind on this trip to fully experience what Casa Cayuco has to offer and you will not be disappointed.

1 Thank ColleenBunting
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Bastimentos
Tropical Suites Hotel
Tropical Suites Hotel
#1 of 13 in Bocas Town
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & S...
#1 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos
Azul Paradise
Azul Paradise
#5 of 16 in Isla Bastimentos
La Loma Jungle Lodge and Chocolate Farm
La Loma Jungle Lodge and Chocola...
#2 of 19 in Isla Bastimentos
Palmar Beach Lodge
Palmar Beach Lodge
#2 of 16 in Isla Bastimentos
Bambuda Lodge
Bambuda Lodge
#1 of 2 in Isla Solarte

Been to Casa Cayuco? Share your experiences!