“Beautiful Spot, Fantastic Service”
Review of Casa Cayuco

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Bastimentos
Casa Cayuco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 17, 2011

My husband and I headed here after two nights at Punta Caracol on Isla Colon. What can I say - we had a blast doing nothing in this beautiful secluded spot. Lloyd & Sue are the best hosts, very knowledgeable and super fun to boot. Their staff is very friendly - everyone is always smiling which I think is a sign of great service.

We stayed in the Pelicano cabin which we think is the best for a couple - it's right on the beach with a great porch. All meals are included in the price of the room and this is a huge value - the food is EXCELLENT. My husband and I are foodies from the City and you can tell Sue is a foodie too - the meals are fresh, local and well prepared. We took a day trip to Zapatillo Beach and that is a must - the white sand beaches and clear water are amazing.

This place is great for couples, families with kids (during our stay there was another couple there with their two young children who seemed to be having a blast), and would also be a great place to send a group of friends/couples/families that want to take a vacation together - rent out all of the cabins and just take the place over for a week.

Room Tip: Pelicano is the newest, right on the beach
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JaimePaul08
There are newer reviews for Casa Cayuco

Reviewed March 21, 2011

My wife and I - along with another couple - spent four days at Casa Cayuca. The staff were terrific, personable and friendly without being over-involved. Terrific snorkeling, kayaking into a local indigenous village, good food, comfortable accommodations....what more could anyone want?

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 7, 2010

Casa Cayuco is remote by choice. It is a 45 minute boat ride from Bocas town, Isla Colon and adjacent to the National Marine Park of Isla Bastimentos.

We chose the Pelicano thatched roof bungalow. It is on the beach, spacious, with a large covered porch for hanging out in the hammock and enjoying the view of the Caribbean Ocean.

We went sea kayaking our first day through the mangroves to visit the Ngobe village of Salt Creek and visited the artisan shops. They offer many tours including snorkeling, scuba, sea kayaking, surfing, sailing, hiking, rafting, and birding.

The meals are served in a family style atmosphere and the food was delicious. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

The next day we took a nature trek to Playa Largo with a guide and experienced the village life of Salt Creek. We continued enjoying sea kayaking in front of our bungalow and around Punta Vieja. The snorkeling was beautiful

We believe in traveling green. One of the reasons we chose this lodge was the electricity is generated from the sun. They have Solar panels mounted on the main lodge and the cabins roofs. The lodge roofs serve also as a water catchment system. All the water comes from rainwater and is then filtered!

Casa Cayuco offers and ecotourism adventure minimizing impact, promoting environmental awareness while empowering local people and the local economy. It’s a natural destination not to be missed!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wold
Reviewed November 1, 2010

I am one of those people who waits to the last minute to plan a trip. While ultimately we decided not to stay in this area, I want to let anybody who is thinking of staying here that I received excellent customer service when considering Casa Cayuco. Several hotels I contacted never even returned my phone calls or emails, while Tom responded to my inquiry within hours. We traded several emails while my husband and I went back and forth on what we wanted to do and I received very quick, courteous replies from Tom each time. If this is any sign of the service you receive while staying at Casa Cayuco, I'm sure it is a fantastic place to stay!

E

Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stda99
Reviewed October 11, 2010

From its remote location, gorgeous beach and wildlife, to the lodge and cabins and all of little details that make the place unique, it is an outdoor-fun-lover's dream come true. The place is incredible. I lived in Costa Rica for two years, where I traveled extensively, and Panama’s Casa Cayuco topped all, thanks to its pristine beauty, clean waters and outstanding hospitality.

The staff members are warm, laid-back and welcoming. The food is both healthy and delicious; the chef didn’t know I was a vegetarian until we arrived and she managed to whip up the most unique and yummy dishes I’ve ever had, while also catering to my carnivorous friend. Throughout our dinners, neither one of us could stop saying, “mmmmm.”

Our beachfront Cabina Tortuga was gorgeous and spacious, with huge shelved closets that enabled us to unpack and make ourselves at home. The bed was oh so pretty and comfortable and the shower—WOW—open air with great pressure and temperature.

Hiking through the rainforests and along the pristine beaches, kayaking and catching small waves with the boat, snorkeling, and bird/monkey/sloth/frog/turtle/caiman-watching throughout the island, learning about the indigenous Nôbe-Buglé people, lounging around and reading books, sleeping soundly and, I must mention again, eating most incredible meals, filled our time there. Because my travel companion and I are both adventure-seekers, we had been concerned that we might get bored during our stay at Casa Cayuco. How wrong we were! On our final morning there, I asked my friend, “How long could you stay here without feeling restless for something new?” His response: “A year….two.” Most certainly I’d be perfectly content for a few months, at the very least.

Sadly, we were only able to stay for 4 days. En-route back to Isla Colon, our guide spotted a yellow turtle in duress, gasping for breath. We rescued the thing and took it to some folks on Isla Colon who planned to rush it to the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute for medical care. It was great to help the turtle and especially cool to learn that the locals truly care about their wildlife.

I hope to visit Casa Cayuco again and again. It will make an ideal place for a wedding, family or school reunion, romantic getaway, educational trip, yoga retreat and/or lone soul-searching mission. Thank you Tom and Linda Kimbrell and your wonderful Nôbe-Buglé staff members!

Hasta luego!

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed September 20, 2010

I just returned from a few days with my girlfriend at Casa Cayuco and it was the most memorable vacation experience we've ever had. A short few minutes into our stay and I'd never felt so relaxed in my entire life. The staff is so warm and inviting - and Sebastian is the best tour guide either of us have ever had. The three included meals a day were all excellent. Casa Cayuco lends itself to either an escape where you just lounge around and let all your troubles melt away or an active retreat of hiking, swimming, kayaking and other such outings. Our daylong excursion to Zapitillas was particularly memorable and is not to be missed.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nekoramentaisho
Reviewed July 5, 2010

There are vacation you likes - and then there Casa Cayuco.
A place you never forget. A place who goes directly into the Top 3 list over the best vacations in your life.
And proberly as THE BEST. Even you might have stayed at the best 5 stars hotels.

The food, the nature, the weather, the sea are all unbeaten. But Casa Cayuco has more. An atmosphere and hospitality that brings the place out of category. Not at least because of the owner Tom.
That man should write about good service and it would for sure be a bestseller.

We - are danish family with 3 kids - could have stayed in a five stars hotel for less. But our four days at Tom (the owner) gave us so much more that even the best hotel could give us.

We almost had the beach for ourself. Suddenly we, a normal modern family, where placed between the jungle and the most wonderful beach.
Lay down, enjoy and relax.
What else to do? We loved it.

After few hours (not days) we felt us home, because of the extreme hospitality from Tom and his local helpers.
Before our stay at Tom we had spend two weeks in Florida visiting the Disney parks. And funny enough back home in Denmark the kids speaks more about Casa Cayuco than Disney.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Bastimentos
Tropical Suites Hotel
Tropical Suites Hotel
#1 of 13 in Bocas Town
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & S...
#1 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos
La Loma Jungle Lodge and Chocolate Farm
La Loma Jungle Lodge and Chocola...
#2 of 19 in Isla Bastimentos
#2 of 18 in Isla Bastimentos
Punta Caracol Acqua Lodge
Punta Caracol Acqua Lodge
#4 of 20 in Isla Colon

Been to Casa Cayuco? Share your experiences!