We arrived to the Bocas airport on Christmas Eve, and were greeted by the very friendly Mr. Kelley. We took a small motor boat to the lodge, and on the way Mr. Kelley gave us a mini tour naming out all the islands around us in his wonderful island accent.
I don't want to spoil too much, but I will say that the arrival at the dock was a magical experience. Stepping into the jungle, greeted by the dogs and the lodge owners, Henry and Marguerite, made us feel instantly welcome.
We stayed at the back lodge, so we got to walk past all of the rooms on our way. Each cabin was well spaced from the next, and all offered quite a good amount of privacy.
Despite being surrounded by jungle and nature, and despite there being no walls, the cabin was incredibly clean. The amenities are very well thought out, with a beautiful bathroom, two hammocks, and a very comfortable bed. They also bring coffee or tea with homemade muffins to your doorstep in the morning, which we thought was an amazing touch.
Dinner is served family style with the owners and other guests, which we really enjoyed. The food and custom cocktails were also delicious.
We unfortunately only had one night because that's all the availability that they had over the Christmas break. We booked almost two months in advance too, so if you are planning to go in December, book early!
They offer lots of great activities, from adventurous treks to relaxing massages. Our time was limited so we asked for their top adventure recommendation for the day. With their recommendation, we did the bat cave tour, which ended up being our favorite adventure during the 5 nights we spent in Bocas.
We are definitely going back to Bocas again, and we will be sure to plan ahead so that we can enjoy several more nights at La Loma.
Thank you Henry, Marguerite, Lucho, Mr. Kelley, Milton, Mike, Kitty, and all the staff and guests that we met for an unforgettable experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience something a little different. La Loma is a working cacao farm that also accepts a small number of overnight guests.vIf you want to escape everyday life, relax in comfort in a hillside rancho overlooking a secluded bay, participate in tropical farm life or engage in a range of activities designed to bring you closer to the natural environment and local communities of this spectacular island, La Loma is for you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your La Loma Jungle Lodge and Chocolate Farm reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Loma Jungle Lodge And Chocolate Farm Hotel Isla Bastimentos
- La Loma Jungle Lodge And Chocolate Farm Panama/Isla Bastimentos, Bocas Del Toro