La Loma met or exceeded our expectations in every way. The food was excellent, the rooms are gorgeous, well designed and very private, nestled in the forest with minimal disruption to the surrounding environment. We were lucky enough to have the 3rd cabin, at the top of the hill. Though it is a hike, it is completely worth it for the privacy and gorgeous setting. (Especially recommended for couples - this is the most remote cabin and farthest from the main lodge). The owners have a great attention to detail and clearly have invested much time and energy in every aspect of the lodge, including environmental concerns, needs of the local people, fair labor practices, etc.
The guides and excursions were excellent and well priced. Zapatillos snorkeling trip ends with a trip to an idyllic island with crystal waters and white sands that is one of the best we have been to anywhere. The bat cave adventure was superior in every way and one of the highlights of the trip. However, if the weather is bad, you won't have a bad day just hanging out in your lovely room and reading for the day - the solar powered fan and mosquito nets make things comfortable and the setting cannot be beat.
The resident dog and cat are friendly and well cared for and it was nice to get to interact with them. The only "negative" about this place was that the owners have a small child (3) who is quite loud at times, with a few tantrums, etc. Though the owners kept him out from underfoot most of the time, he does live there, and if you don't like kids, just know going in that there is a resident kid and also apparently kids often stay at the lodge. We were lucky enough not to have any there when we visited but given the community dining, if you visit when kids are there you will have no way to avoid them, so plan accordingly - if you are going to honeymoon or do not want to have to deal with kids on your vacation inquire ahead of time. Aside from that, the setting was serene and you can enjoy the sounds of wildlife and nature around you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience something a little different. La Loma is a working cacao farm that also accepts a small number of overnight guests.vIf you want to escape everyday life, relax in comfort in a hillside rancho overlooking a secluded bay, participate in tropical farm life or engage in a range of activities designed to bring you closer to the natural environment and local communities of this spectacular island, La Loma is for you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your La Loma Jungle Lodge and Chocolate Farm reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Loma Jungle Lodge And Chocolate Farm Hotel Isla Bastimentos
- La Loma Jungle Lodge And Chocolate Farm Panama/Isla Bastimentos, Bocas Del Toro