“Great nature hotel, amazing experience”

La Loma Jungle Lodge and Chocolate Farm
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 29, 2011

The hotel is built on a cacao farm that has a lot of interesting things in it. for example, my girlfriend tried the lipstick plant which is basically seeds that can be used for painting or the magic fruit, which makes everything taste sweet.

the location is incredible, with the open room views being spectacular. if you do not like camping or the outdoors, do not come here. if you do, this will be fantastic. and yes, there will be bugs all the time. but the sounds of the jungle, day and night, are fantastic. the rooms face the sunset, so at least you're not woken up by the sun shining directly on you and you can relax.

the food is absolutely amazing, very natural and tasty. there is no beach in the place but steve and karen booked a couple of trips for us. all the staff is absolutely wonderful, very nice people.

the reason i give it 4 stars instead of 5 is because there's a few hidden costs i didn't expect. alcoholic drinks are fairly expensive and the tours are as well. it'd be nice if they were clearer right from the start that this wasn't included and expected costs. definitely on the high end price wise.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank raulrdz
lalomabocas, Owner at La Loma Jungle Lodge and Chocolate Farm, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2011

We’re very grateful to raulrdz for posting this review. We continuously strive to create a perfect experience at La Loma and guests’ suggestions are greatly appreciated. We’ve been in correspondence with raulrdz and he’s graciously shared his feedback on how we can make our pricing more apparent. Currently we state on our website that drinks and some activities are an extra charge. In our emails with guests during the booking process we detail what is included (transportation, 3 meals, per day, cabin with private bathroom, etc.). Once guests arrive at the lodge we have a handbook in each cabin that lists drinks (cocktails $4.00, mixed drinks $3.50, beer $2.00, Soda $1.50, Juices $3.00 Smoothies $3.50) and activity costs and, in addition, have the cost of the nightly special cocktail ($4.50) on a blackboard in the lodge.

We are in the process of updating our website and will post the handbook with all drink and activity prices on this. In the meantime we’d be happy to send a copy of the La Loma Handbook to prospective guests.

Reviewed August 7, 2011

My husband, 2 teens and I can't stop talking about our 3 night stay. Sad that we didn't get to meet Henry and Margaret, who have created this jungle paradise, but we were left in good hands with Steve and Karen and all the staff (and Goose too). When we walked into Rancho #4 we were just amazed at how beautiful it was and that we were smack in the middle of the jungle. We lucked out and saw just about every type of wildlife possible - red frogs, monkeys, a scorpion, an armadillo - on the property as well as dolphins, sloths and great sea life while snorkeling. The food was very good and the cocktail of the night was a fun, added touch. We'd highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed here during part of our honeymoon and loved the adventurous nature of La Loma. The managers Steve & Karen were fantastic, and made us feel right at home, even though we were clearly in the middle of the Jungle. In 3 short days we were able to visit two nearly deserted Island Beaches, Snorkel, learn all about AND MAKE our own Cacao block for baking, hike, and befriend the staff and other guests. The food was unforgettable, featuring local produce and recipes turned gourmet. The cocktails were also quite fun and creative. And obviously our Rancho was unforgettable...with a clear view of mangrove islands, parrots flying, and other wildlife we could sit in those hammocks all day!

Room Tip: Rancho 1 is the shortest hike but the view isn't great. #2 has the best view. #3 is great for wi...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2011

My wife and I recently visited La Loma on our honeymoon and after reading all of the reviews, we were not disappointed. Although Henry and Margaret were gone during our stay, Steve and Karen were excellent hosts. They were flexible and happy to help us tailor each day of our stay to fit our desires. Yes -- it was hot, and there were bugs, but it was an absolutely incredible experience to wake up every morning in the midst of a pristine rainforest, have coffee and muffins delivered to your door, and simply relax and watch the wildlife in the jungle before you head off to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. We also really enjoyed getting to know the other travelers staying with us during all of the corporate meals. If you're a little more on the adventurous side, or simply want an unforgettable and unique travel experience, you should visit La Loma!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Mr Girlfriend and I went to Panama for 3 weeks in March- My Girlfriend wanted to book a couple of nights at La Loma- I wasn't keen to pay the extra money

However when I got back and my friends asked me, "How was Panama" it's one of the first things that I talk about

for me it was a truely unique fantastic experience. Brilliantly executed. great attention to detail, from picking us up at the airport to first breakfast, to second breakfast.. in fact all the food.The setting is spectacular- the website does not do it justice.. the lodges were great. Even after we left and went to stay at another place in Bastimenentos, they tracked us down to a coffee shop in the middle of nowhere and invited us out on a day trip.

go!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Perfection! I agree with everything everyone else said: Amazing hosts, amazing food, amazing beaches, amazing tours.

I do want to add that we were hesitant about taking four young kids here, but we are SO glad we did. Our kids were in heaven! There is so much to do on the farm. A climbing rope next to a waterfall, lizard and sloth spotting, running the trails, swinging in the hammocks, I could go on and on. Margaret and Henry are VERY accomodating. By our request, the kids had dinner an hour earlier than everyone else then went up to the lodge with one of the staff so we could have a few hours of adult time. Bolivia was the woman that wathced our kids and she was amazing. The kids loved her. We stayed in the lower cabin that was childproofed and they also gave us a crib for our baby. The whole staff was wonderful and our kids were fond of all them. Our baby loved Roger! Go here and take your kids!

Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank hcarone1
Reviewed May 17, 2011

Obviously, there are a lot of great reviews of La Loma already, so I won't rehash them. I will add that I normally opt for lodging that includes air conditioning, TV, and wifi, so I was a bit hesitant traveling with my wife and a group of friends to La Loma, which promised sleeping quarters in the open air.

Even with that, I was thrilled with the experience. The quarters were indeed comfortable, the staff was warm and friendly, and the food and excursions were amazing. The owners Henry and Margaret were not there during our stay, but head staff guy Kelly was a terrific host. We enjoyed hiking, snorkeling, swimming at the beach, visiting local indigenous communities, and a remarkable caving experience.

Room Tip: Cabin 2 has a great view of the sea.
Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Hotel Palma Royale
Hotel Palma Royale
#3 of 13 in Bocas Town
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & S...
#1 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos
Palmar Beach Lodge
Palmar Beach Lodge
#2 of 19 in Isla Bastimentos
Popa Paradise Beach Resort
Al Natural Resort
Al Natural Resort
#3 of 20 in Isla Bastimentos

Been to La Loma Jungle Lodge and Chocolate Farm? Share your experiences!