“Great experience, highly recommended”
Review of Free Spirit Oasis

Free Spirit Oasis
“Great experience, highly recommended”
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

As we speak we are about to enjoy our last breakfast at Calvin's, before leaving after a 5-night stay. We loved being here, Calvin is a great host who takes care of his guests in the best way he can and ensures everyone is comfortable, has their questions answered and daytrips planned. He created his own little paradise with Free Spirit Inn and lets you become part of his home in the middle of the community of Bastimentos. It was a great experience to see how the locals live and see what island life is like for them in the middle of the jungle. If there are any activities you would like to plan make sure to ask Calvin about it, he knows everyone in the area (and all locals know him) and has quite some connections to arrange things for you! We had a lot of fun with Calvin, including a nice Christmas dinner with wine and candles. Our stay felt like staying with a friend.

As for the rooms: great beds, beautifull decorations, great seating areas, lots of trees, flowers, birds and a good, healthy breakfast. We stayed 4 nights in the yellow room, we had the pleasure to be the first to spend our last night in Calvin's new 'glamcamp' hut with a bunkbed and separate bathroom with shower. It was great - from inside the hut you can see the trees and plants around, also the shower has a window out. It really feels like camping in nature only with very comfortable beds and and a watertight roof!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jacqueline V
Calvin C, Owner at Free Spirit Oasis, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Season Greeting,! I just completed my first (1) year as owner developer of
Free Spirit Inn , I would like to thank everyone who help me see this special project come life . Trying to say I'm finish is a joke because I'm always seeing something that need to be done, or added or adjustments
So now I can say that it here , not on the way I see it in the Now ! Happy Holiday.
I will show pictures very soon of my new Glamping Hut room w bath and private deck which is available now, thanks for all the support and reviews it been a great year for me starting and sharing this new business. Blessings

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 20, 2013

This was a great find, just a 10 minute water taxi ride away from the busy Bocas del Toro. You do have to walk up a hill to get here - best to do in daylight. The Bungalows are in a jungle setting. There are great views off the balcony and even from bed if you leave the drapes open! Wake up to the sound of rooster and birds! Paradise! The property and area is safe. The photos are accurate. Great decor in the room from all over the world. Calvin is a great host, easy to talk to, accommodating, and had suggestions of what to see/do in the area. I would stay here again!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a relaxing place to live in contact with nature and local people that's the right b&b. Easy to get there and move around thanks to the advices that Calvin always gives. Don't expect "resort" service but enjoy the simple life of a remote island! We ate slept and surfed in paradise! Thanks Calvin

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Francesca V
Boca Raton
Reviewed November 22, 2013

As you walk up the cement path to Free Spirit Inn you wonder where in the world you are heading, then after 5 minutes you turn right into Calvin's slice of paradise. The view from the common eating area and the balcony is fantastic. I had to work while staying here and the wifi/internet was some of the best on our travels. I had multiple skype calls that were as clear as a land line, the internet never went down in 5 days, and no one ever had to reset the wifi - pretty amazing for being on a jungle island.

Calvin said the breakfast was "basic", but it was perfect for us! The cereal was above average, his freshly made fruit juices are delicious, a hard-boiled egg and toast, we couldn't ask for anything more.

The accommodation was also very nice. Our bed was comfortable, everything is clean, and there is plenty of seating to lounge around. Our only negative was going down the steep staircase in the middle of the night to use the toilet, but we also could have stayed in the other unit to avoid that. Really no big deal, you just had to be careful.

Calvin is a great host who knows all the locals, who to use for various tours, and where to go and eat. We sat and chatted with him on many occasions during our stay with stories of his 45 years of travel and life in general.

Old Bank is a fun, local town on Isla Bastimentos with many places to eat and drink, or a very short 7 minute $3 boat ride to Bocas town for more variety.

The place and Calvin were great and we'd definitely stay there again. I hope you get a chance to experience this slice of paradise!

Room Tip: We chose the ebony suite with the double bed upstairs - for an extra $10 we could have had the sun s...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TwoGoGlobal
Whistler, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2013

The Free Spirit Inn was certainly the accommodation highlight of our Panama trip with it's inspired decor, comfortable and spacious living space and wonderful grounds including several covered seating areas, lovely (well-lit) paths and generous space all securely fenced in. The balcony views are beautiful and it's located just up the hill from the docks/restaurants/bars/grocers. Just a 5 minute boat ride from bustling Bocas Town, it's nice to catch a piece of the action to be able to return to this lovely sanctuary! The cherry on top most definitely is host Calvin himself who provided many useful tips, helped plan some excursions and had many worldly tales to talk of over rum!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed September 25, 2013

What an unbelievable experience. Unfortunately We took the long way there...A five hour flight and an 11 hour bus ride that was nothing but exhausting and stressful. But as soon as our water taxi dropped us off at the dock and we met Calvin, instantly, and I mean instantly, all the stress and fatigue melted away like it never happened. Calvin brings a vibe that makes you feel at home and as if you've known him your whole life. Before you do anything with you bags, it's sit and enjoy a fresh picked coconut, top popped off and a straw for sipping. All this while sitting out on the patio, looking out, through a tropical jungle above the Caribean sea. Words can't explain the view and what you feel while you relax and take this all in. The island is amazing, one thing to take into consideration when choosing an island in Bocas, most of the islands are surrounded by mangroves, which breed a nasty insect called chichas (or something like that) which when they bite, they leave nasty irritated blisters. So....you'll have to always wear smelly bug spray. But not on Calvin's Island. Bastimentos is one of the only islands that has no mangroves on this particular side of the island, so no chichas. As a matter of fact, I don't believe I was even bitten by a mosquito. Plus the island has two small grocery stores, which means, no water taxi to the main island for beer, wine and snakes (like the other islands) :0. At breakfast, Calvin whips up the most delicious frozen Banana, mango papaya smoothies along with gourmet coffee. When Calvin gives advise on tours and places to see and eat, take his advice. He knows the islands and everyone nows calvin. when you catch a water taxi, just tell them your going to Calvin's and they know exactly what island and where to drop you.

Calvin, I just want to thank you. It was by chance we ended up there, but I can tell you it won't be the last. See ya soon my friend, I'm still dreaming of this place that so few know about. I almost hate to let such a secret out to the world. Cheers!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at free spirit inn for 4 nights the month of September. Honestly, it was better then we expected. Calvin welcome us with open Arms and always a smile.. Ohh fresh coconut when you arrive.
( Very nice gesture) Great breakfast.. He provided continental breakfast for us ( better then continental ) He made us the best fresh juice I've ever had every morning , made w mango, banana , and papaya (So yummy ).. What a gesture. Iberio the nice young man working there had the place spotless and beautiful and very genuinely friendly. It was just
such a great vacation. Great conversation w Calvin. He was such great help w directions and maps and advise as to what to do. He knows, if you visit you must take his advise ;). restaurants, beach , tours, anything you need to know ) I definitely recommended and if I get a chance to get back ? Will definitely visit and stay at spirit inn again. Thank you Calvin !!!!

• Stayed September 2013
Bambuda Lodge
Bambuda Lodge
#1 of 2 in Isla Solarte
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & S...
#1 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos

Been to Free Spirit Oasis? Share your experiences!