“Shocking incredible”

The Firefly Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, Thai
Good for: Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Firefly serves Thai/Caribbean food in an open air, outdoor setting directly on the Caribbean Ocean. We source locally and organically whenever possible and believe in using ingredients readily available to make up our menu. Because of this philosophy, our menu items may change daily. Contact us for special Occasion or private dining! We can create an amazing atmosphere! Contact at least 24 hours in advance if you wish to do a tasting menu, starting at 5 courses. Full bar, Cash only and reservations required. CLOSED TUES/WED
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Arriving on a private water taxi, seeing this town, you wouldn't think a place like this would exist. A charming couple from Los Angeles moved to Panama and opened The Firefly, a bed and breakfast, with a bar and unique menu of food and drinks right on the water! I had the Fresh fish bites with a spicy coconut sauce, $7.50, appetizer, freaking delicious. My buddy got a Thai shrimp soup, the smell alone made me salivate...he loved it! The menu had a strong Thai influence, everything reasonably priced and looked delicious. As I was sitting there they added a banana, chic chip bread pudding to the menu as it was coming out of the oven, yes please. I ate the whole thing. Orgasmic flavor! the drink menu was unique as well. The ice is shipped in so it's ok to enjoy. Bring cash and a camera!

There are newer reviews for The Firefly Restaurant & Bar

Reviewed May 14, 2013

So we just got back from our first trip to BDT. We were in Bocas from May 3-10 with a group of 8 adults and 4 children. I booked Firefly the second night that we were in Bocas as we were staying at a couple of villas @ Red Frog Beach and it would be closer then going into Bocas town.

I have been to many parts of the world and have experienced many different cuisines and restaurants and I have to say that Firefly might just be one of the most special places I have ever visited.

That said, Is the food the best I have ever had, no. Is the setting the best I have ever been to, no. BUT, the combination of the food, the setting, and the hosts make for the perfect trifecta!!! This place has something truly magical about it. From the walk through Old Bank filled with the most welcoming people, I found myself sitting on a picturesque point off the coast of Panama under a beautiful canopy of palm trees eating food that was truly "inspired". Lauren and Ryan have poured their heart and souls into The Firefly and it shows in no way that I can describe here. It is one of those places that you have to experience for yourself!

I believe we had everything on the menu between the group...each and every dish delivered. I don't drink cocktails but the group commented as well at how outstanding each cocktail was as well.

Don't go expecting Panama prices. The places is not expensive by US standards (it is actually a bargain), each main will run $12-14. We found most of the food in Panama to be quite bland...Firefly was the shinning exception for us on our trip!!!

We loved it so much that we came back 4 nights later towards the end of our trip. I cannot recommend this restaurant enough!

Thanks Ryan and Lauren for the hospitality and best of luck in your endeavors!

Reviewed May 9, 2013

cool people run it & you can feel the love that has gone into making it a neat place. friendly fun spot to relax and try some Yoga or just about anything.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Great place to eat - only problem will be deciding what drink and what item I menu to have. Not your typical island stop - creative recipes, with Thai influence. Great break from what other places are serving. Off the beaten path but worth a stop - especially if you are out beach hopping around Bastimentos.

1  Thank rowe1331
Reviewed April 11, 2013

If you are on Isla Bastimentos you have to go to Firefly or stay there..we didn't stay but it looked lovely. We went for dinner twice...once wasn't enough! Killer cocktails and gorgeous well presented food. The menu on the board had so many things we fancied we came back! We tried popcorn fish, ceviche, beet root salad and chilli squid for starters all were great! For mains we had prawn and chicken green curry, fillet steak and beef and squid noodles...countless cocktails and some sorbet! It wasn't cheap by bocas standards..three courses and four cocktails $100...cheap by London standards! Worth it though, up there with Guari Guari for best food on the islands!

Make sure you take a torch as the walk can get wet and muddy if you can't see where you are going!

1  Thank LondonCouple01