This true jewel on Isla Bastimentos opened in November 2012 and is already the hottest spot on Bocas!
My wife and I stayed for 5 nights in December 2012 and were among the first guests. It is owned by a young couple, Lauren and Ryan, who are super nice and have created an exceptionally charming place on a perfect spot on Bastimentos. Far enough away from the party beats of Bocas Town it is tranquil, yet you can reach the bars and restaurants of the main island and on Bastimentos easily and quickly. Yet you wouldn't want to leave it anyway, because it is just great sitting on their deck, 5 meters away from the ocean, relaxing in the hammock, and enjoying smoothies, cocktails and outstanding food. Two of the three rooms have ocean view and at night you hear nothing but the waves...
They run a little restaurant and are happy to provide lunch and dinner. Lauren is by far the most talented and creative cook in Bocas! We tried other places but her dishes are outstanding, combining Caribbean cuisine with an Asian touch. The menu varies every day and everything is fresh and super tasty. Ryan's breakfasts (which vary every day) and fresh tropical smoothies are also amazingly good and prepareed with lots of care and creativity.
The rooms are modern, decorated with bright colours, and clean. If you want to go on tours (snorkling, surfing, island and beach hopping etc.) they can arrange boat taxis and recommend the best spots. We did that twice and were very happy with it.
The Firefly is:
- perfect for couples, who like to relax and look for tranquility but who don't like to stay in big resorts
- perfect for people who enjoy nature, like to go on hikes, snorkel, surf etc.
- perfect for those who appreciate an intimate and casual environment
- perfect for people who appreciate good food
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Firefly is a small, boutique B&B located on Bastimentos in Bocas Del Toro Panama. We are located directly on the Caribbean. Our restaurant/bar is open 6 days a week in high season. Hours in low season vary. Breakfast is included in your stay. We are a 3 minute walk from Basti Town (Old Bank) and an 8 minute boat taxi ride from Bocas Town. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Firefly Bocas Del Toro Panama/Isla Bastimentos