“NOT OPEN”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Mantis - CLOSED

Mantis
Cuisines: Asian, Seafood, Thai, Fusion, Healthy
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: THE RESTAURANT & BAR ARE CURRENTLY CLOSED AND RENTED OUT TO ANOTHER PARTY.CABIN RENTALS ARE STILL AVAILABLE.WAITING FOR TRIPADVISOR TO REMOVE THE LISTING FROM THEIR SITE.THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE.
Panama
“NOT OPEN”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

This restaurant is closed and should be removed. you are misleading your clients by listing a business that is inoperative

Visited January 2013
mimimop, Owner at Mantis, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Wold

As the owner of Mantis, I don't believe that writing a review like that is necessary. Businesses open and close all the time, and to give a bad review based on a recent closure is not a fair evaluation of the restaurant. Yes, the restaurant is now closed. Recently. It was never my intention to mislead customers, however, you will forgive me if closing and removing Mantis from Trip Advisor is not at the top of my priority list.

Regards

Findlay, Ohio
“Amazing Food and a Great Price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

My wife and another couple were over in the Bocas area and took a boat trip to Isla Bastimentos. We had read about Mantis and wanted to eat there. The day was a very rainy one which is normal in this area in December. The trek up to it is a hike especially if it is raining or has been raining a lot. Let me say it is worth the trip.

It is a small place and they have a couple of cabanas they rent out. The menu is small but what they do do is great!

We started with the hummus appetizer and it was great. It came with pita and vegetables and was outstanding. My wife had a vegetable curry dish that was great and I had the fish cakes. They were great. The interesting thing was they were made with ground salmon. It gave the cakes a very firm texture. The dipping sauce was outstanding and added a little kick.

The view was not good since it was raining but on a clear day it would be outstanding. The service was great and the server and cook (yes he was both) spoke perfect English.

The price and portion were both outstanding. We would return again.

Seattle
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bombdotcom”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

Amy and James have put together a great menu and deliver it with warmth, humor and panache. I recommend the lychee cocktail and the fish cakes, which are perfect.

1 Thank Adam A
Westhampton Beach
“Very Unique - Love It”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

My wife and I pretty much stumbled upon this awesome place. We took a water taxi from Bocas Town to Bastimentos Town (Old Bank) just to see what it was like. It was a quaint village that was pretty impoversihed and we've heard mixed things about the town - from it being charming to it being dangerous. Regardless, we saw some signs for various destinations. The sign for Mantis pointed up the hill and it simply looked like the nicest sign of all...so we followed the trail and the signs and came to a tiny building built into the hillside with a view of the water in the distance through the rainforest. I have to say, we were shocked at how beautifly built and decorated the place was, and the view was stunning. It was tranquil and silent, surrounded by lush forest. We were greeted by the friendly owner, Amy, and proceeded to have cocktails and a full lunch of FABULOUS food and drinks. Everything we had was excellent. In the end, our bill came to something like $40+ and we ate a drank a lot. I'm not a big fan of "value," as I place more emphasis on the food, drinks, service and atmosphere - even if it's pricey - but this place was really fantastic, and for those who value "value," you'll be really happy too. make the trip over to Mantis, it's absolutely worth it. You won't want to leave.

Ottawa, Canada
“Great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

The very friendly owner prepared a delicious, healthy, vegetarian lunch for us. The view from the place is great - you feel like you are in the middle of the jungle.

Visited December 2012