“Just what I wanted”

Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I had a great time here. The villas were as nice as everyone says they are. I stayed in a villa at the top of the island and saw two monkeys right out my balcony and watched them play for an hour. The zipline was incredible and the guides were fun and very professional. I did a catamaran tour and it was spectacular; great snorkeling and the captain knew all about the island history and other things to do. I wanted to do the spa but it was booked everyday.
The beaches were great and I went to a different beach everyday. Also, if you drive around the island you find these amazing lookout points that are stunning. I am a single female and I felt safe traveling here (although I think a cab driver in Panama City charged me a little too much from the hotel to Albrook airport).
I would recommend this place if you want a nice place to stay with great beaches and a lot of lush surroundings.
I thought I would see construction but I only noticed some bumpy roads that kind of made it fun to ride around on my golf cart. Food was fine. Villa host actually grew up on the island and they were great. It was fun, I will come back.

Room Tip: pay extra to stay here than in Bocas town - felt safer and the beach is close
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Friends and I stayed here in August and we had mixed reviews. The villas are spectacular - new, luxurious, spacious, and most with great views. They had all the creature comforts like AC, satellite TV, hot water, nice kitchens, and I believe all the villas had their own pools. The beach on the property is the famous Red Frog Beach, which lives up to the hype and is beautiful.

Unfortunately the service from the staff there was so bad it was almost non-existent. The check in at the docks took about 10-15 minutes as we waited for golf carts, then on the drive up the hill to our villa one of the golf carts died on us. After checking into the villa we drove down to the beach and discovered - on a downhill gravel road no less - that the brakes on the golf cart didn't really work so we had to coast around turns and hope nothing was in the way. The service at the bar/restaurant by the beach was pretty awful, and the food wasn't much better. Besides our group there was just one father/son eating dinner, but they staff acted like we were bothering them. The one bartender would serve one of our group a drink then turn her back for 2-3 minutes, then come back and serve someone else. One of us ordered alfredo pasta with seafood and was handed a plate of rice & beans with shrimp. Finally, on the way back up to our villas after dinner another golf cart died and no one at the restaurant offered to help, much less apologize.

It's a beautiful property and the master plan for the island is a great idea, but until they actually put some effort into their service I'd be careful about staying here. You are basically on your own there, which isn't always a bad thing, but you are on an island so you can't run out and buy food or eat at other restaurants so you depend on them.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Chris A
Raven55, Front Office Manager at Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Chris:

Thanks for your review and glad you found the villas and the beaches nice. We are sorry for the service - we will do better! We want our guests to have an experience of a lifetime at Red Frog Beach. We have added to our staff this summer and we are working as a team to make sure everyone understands that our guests are #1. Visiting this island should be a special experience and we want each and every guest to feel cared for.

Thanks again for coming. We hope you will come back and visit the new waterfall spa opening soon and the private beach club on turtle beach.

The Red Frog Beach Team

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We arrived by boat taxi from Bocas town on PANJAM. We stepped off the boat and stepped into a tropical paradise. We took a golf card to our villa. The villa was spacious, clean and had a full kitchen. The view from the Infiniti pool was amazing. I could have sat for hours (and did) listening to the waves crash and the wildlife chatter. We hiked in the jungle, snorkeled on private beaches,zip lined our way through the jungle. The food was fantastic. Great local fair at reasonable prices. Definitely try the rum punch. Hanging out at KAYUKOS before breakfast and dinner, playing ping pong and relaxing in the hammocks was fun. I enjoyed listening to music while having a couple of coronas and watching the surf roll in, while my husband and kids body surfed. Definitely one of the best vacations ever!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Anne G
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We have switched to Red Frog after arriving to Bocas and being unhappy with another hotel. We got a great discount for 6 nights. The villas are wonderful, secluded, with private pools and access to the most beautiful beaches. Minor annoyance is the ongoing construction. Also we recommend renting the golf cart. Finally, food options are limited - bring meat for the grill from Bocas town. Place is very safe, well guarded. Rainforest amazing, monkeys were crossing our road to the beach. We will be back!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank CezaryWojcik
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed at the villas in June for a week. It was absolutely beautiful and our villa was better than we expected. We enjoyed the privacy and the jungle. There is hiking and zip-lining. The birds and insects were so loud, this is serious jungle!
The staff was very helpful and we had great meals and drinks at both restaurants.
Bring bug spray for the beach, it seems that is the only place we were bit up.

The only negative I can say about the villas is if you like to people watch and be on the water this probably may not be the place for you.
We loved it and highly recommend it!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This is a remote resort accessed by boat taxis from Bocas Town. Do not expect high end service, instead, look forward to luxury villas nestled in wild rainforest and near complete solitude. Expect sloths, monkeys, dozens of exotic birds, many frogs species, brilliant rainforest beetles and butterflies (very few mosquitoes). Expect dazzling beaches, breath-taking hikes, and comfortable, spotless villas to relax and unwind. We have now stayed in this resort twice for a total of seven weeks with our three children (who were twin two-year-olds and a four-year-old the first time we visited). The kids swim everyday in the ocean and the private pools and love spotting wildlife and insects. We have had done the zipline which is fantastic, gone caving and visited nearby islands. Don't focus on the service, you will get what you need given time- this is a luxury resort in the RAINFOREST- think about what an amazing feat this is!!!
The internet and cellular service is awesome.

Room Tip: I like the Villas on the "top road" as they are more remote with rainforest in the backyar...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CherylPhippen
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I spend 300 per night with taxes and golf cart expecting it to be a top resort. This place is made up of 40 or so private residences. They rent them out. When we arrived there was no one there to meet us. It is very spread out so you need a golf cart. We arrived on Thursday evening so I did not purchase a golf cart for that night. A lot of walking in the rain. They have 2 resturants - 1 is more of a game center with neon lights pool table, ping pong - the other is on the beach - for a romantic time the one on the beach is the only one - they had only hamburger night the night we arrived and on Saturday night they were closed - On top of it all went for a romantic breakfast - had to listen to them hammering and electric saw going with them blarring regae music - asked them to turn down the music which they did for about 5 minutes when they then turned it up again - All and all beautiful private villas, resturants and facilitys are lacking - I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Punta Caracol Acqua Lodge
Punta Caracol Acqua Lodge
#4 of 21 in Isla Colon
Popa Paradise Beach Resort

Been to Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!