Friends and I stayed here in August and we had mixed reviews. The villas are spectacular - new, luxurious, spacious, and most with great views. They had all the creature comforts like AC, satellite TV, hot water, nice kitchens, and I believe all the villas had their own pools. The beach on the property is the famous Red Frog Beach, which lives up to the hype and is beautiful.
Unfortunately the service from the staff there was so bad it was almost non-existent. The check in at the docks took about 10-15 minutes as we waited for golf carts, then on the drive up the hill to our villa one of the golf carts died on us. After checking into the villa we drove down to the beach and discovered - on a downhill gravel road no less - that the brakes on the golf cart didn't really work so we had to coast around turns and hope nothing was in the way. The service at the bar/restaurant by the beach was pretty awful, and the food wasn't much better. Besides our group there was just one father/son eating dinner, but they staff acted like we were bothering them. The one bartender would serve one of our group a drink then turn her back for 2-3 minutes, then come back and serve someone else. One of us ordered alfredo pasta with seafood and was handed a plate of rice & beans with shrimp. Finally, on the way back up to our villas after dinner another golf cart died and no one at the restaurant offered to help, much less apologize.
It's a beautiful property and the master plan for the island is a great idea, but until they actually put some effort into their service I'd be careful about staying here. You are basically on your own there, which isn't always a bad thing, but you are on an island so you can't run out and buy food or eat at other restaurants so you depend on them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Red Frog Beach offers upscale villas to rent with private pools and so much adventure to enjoy on Isla Bastimentos. If you like nice beaches and exploring jungle--this is the perfect place. Two restaurants, 4 beaches, Zipline, surfing, snorkeling, hiking, sailing and famous cave tour. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Red Frog Beach Hotel Isla Bastimentos
- Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa Panama/Isla Bastimentos, Bocas Del Toro