“Red Frog Bungalows are AWESOME” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Frog Bungalows

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Bastimentos
Red Frog Bungalows
Earth
“Red Frog Bungalows are AWESOME”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2009

I can't say enough wonderful things about Red Frog Bungalows. The owner, the staff, the food, the landscaping, and the surf is excellent.

everything is super unique from the Balinese Bungalows to the solar panels, water recycling and serene outdoor showers. I'd go back in a minute and next time I will bring the family so the kids and play on the beach while dad goes surfing with Scott!

Super Stoked.

• Liked — Rooms, food
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank gosurfdr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
san diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the bungalows for four nights. We were greeted at the airport by Scott, who immediately made us feel welcome. The path to the bungalows was beautiful, and we even saw a crocodile on the way. The Bungalows were warm and cozy and were decorated with beautiful paintings. The shower was huge and super nice. There were gorgeous flowers all around the bungalows. Every morning we would see hummingbirds feasting on them right outside. The quality of the meals was exceptional and the presentation of the food made us feel like we were eating meals in paradise. We went on excursions through the mangroves and hiking through the jungle and into bat caves. We saw two sloths on the way. We went snorkeling, and saw tons of beautiful fish. We were never bored because there were always things to do. Scott was so helpful in every way. From helping us with our tickets to taking us on these killer adventures, he not only felt like a guide, but a good friend. Falling asleep every night was a treat because we could hear all the animal noises outside, playing their different songs. It really felt like we were part of nature out there. We chose the bungalows because we wanted to be out of the city and in a beautiful place with all the privacy you could ask for. It delivered in every way. From insane food, to the first class service and hospitality of the staff, I would recommend it to anyone. Thanks Scott for making this trip so memorable.

• Liked — The location, service and food
  • Disliked — Everything was great, nothing bad to say
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank billyejones
Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2008

This place was insane! I was in panama with my wife and we wanted to find something a little more off the beaten path. While in Panama city someone suggested checking out Bocas Del Toro and if we do we have to say at Red Frog Bungalows the nicest place in Bocas. I was not getting much surf on the pacific side so we decided to fly over. We actually checked out other spots in town to stay and they really were not that appealing. A quick water taxi over to isla Bastimentos and we found Red Frog Beach. The beach was absolutely beautiful. We walked up to the bungalows to check it out and see if they have room for us to stay and they did. I was very surprised to find the price included three amazing meals a day, much better than the food found anywhere in town. These guys were top notch and very professional. I took a couple of surf charters and scored really fun waves as well as a fun beach break right on red frog beach. I saw the review the other person wrote and I don't really agree with what they were saying about the place. I have traveled all around the world and have stayed at many different hostels and surf camps. Red frog bungalows was by far one of the nicest, cleanest,friendliest, relaxing places I have stayed. The nice thing is it is much cheaper to fly here than indo and the waves were simply uncrowded. If your looking for a great time, fun waves, in a beautiful tropical rain forest setting check this place out. Thanks Scott and the rest of the guys at Red Frog you guys Rock! I hope to see you again soon.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank irie0_1
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2008

We have had great luck in the past with Tripadvisor Reviews. Both my husband and I have traveled the world extensively and love an adventure. We were really fooled with Red Frog!
The bungalow is more appropriate for backpackers and surfers that are looking for a place to "flop" for $25.00 a night. It is NOT a $250-300.00 a night resort! The walk to the bungalow is through the mud. To get to the actual property you walk on ONE 2 x 4! (In the rain) It is not a fun task. They moved our luggage, in a dirty wheel barrow, rolled over a 2 x 4! As far as the garden, there is not a garden. It is over grown and simply as nature left it. We never saw anyone work on the property the 4 days we were there. Not on the grounds or in the room. It is not clean. To be blunt it was filthy! We understand that it is in the jungle but the floors were covered with mud when we arrived. The bath room had not been cleaned. It honestly looked like they had never been cleaned since the place was built. The bath mats were filthy and needed to be in the trash. We had to ASK for bath towels. There were no hand towels, wash cloths, etc. NADA. We had to ask for a clean towel every day. After you bathe ants cover your towel. One night the ants were so bad my feet were covered and I had hundreds of bites covering both feet. The towels we were given looked like they had been used to clean cars in the past. We had to ask for the small garbage can to be emptied daily. You can not flush toilet tissue. It has to go into the garbage can near the toilet and that gets gross very quickly! The bungalows are near RED FROG Beach, not on the beach. There are no beach chairs, and it is clearly NOT A GREEN place. The beach is covered with trash. Eco lodge does not mean dirty, we drop you off and you are on your own. There are piles and piles of garbage a few feet from the bungalows. It is solar. There are a few dim lights on the ceiling but basically you are on flash light after 7 PM. To get to the "beach" you walk over more 2 x 4's down a mud path and you have to go through palms and sticker bushes. There are no walk ways, no bridges or pathways. There is a sweet couple that does the cooking for you and the food is very good. We asked them about cleaning and we were told there is a person but she was not seen while we were there. The jungle does try to take over as do the animals and bugs. With no one to maintain the bungalows it is simply miserable. We wanted to dive in the area and asked Scott, the owner, about diving. We were told he would contact someone. That too never came to fruition. We had reservations for 4 nights. We lasted 3 nights. 2 of those nights were sleepless due to the heat, no breeze, animals on the roof, .... There is also a safety issue. You are very isolated and I never felt safe. The place has potential and if someone put some time, money and energy into the place it would be interesting to stay in the area. If it is in a start up mode the price should reflect it. We were excited to stay at the bungalows. We got there and were more excited to leave! We booked through a Panama travel agency. If they represent properties that are this misleading...beware...I must admit the other 2 properties we stayed in were great and exactly as reported on tripadvisor.com.
Unfortunately we were in Panama to celebrate my 50th birthday over a Panamanian holiday. We would have left after the first night if we could have gotten a room somewhere else. If you do go to this area pack Lysol, toilet tissue, soap, towels, flash lights, hand sanitizer and take ice an ice chest! This is camping gone wrong NOT a cozy green eco lodge!

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Filthy
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Kat5409
redfrogman, Owner at Red Frog Bungalows, responded to this review, November 30, 2008
I would like to respond to the ONLY negative review of our resort Red Frog Bungalows. First and foremost, I have the utmost respect for Tripadvisor and all that it represents. These types of websites are necessary for travellers and for the most part I believe they are a essential part of planning a trip to a unknown destination.
They can also be deceptive. Postively and negatively! I have worked in the tourism trade for 13 years in Maui Hawaii. This has been the #1 rated tourism destination in the world for many years running. I understand the business of tourism. I suggest if you travel anywhere, contact the resort directly! With this traveller, this was never done. Because this was not a direct booking, I am not sure what they were promised but our website spells it out pretty clear.
We are a totally green Eco-resort. Red Frog Bungalows is located steps away and I counted yesterday! 112.... 18 inch steps from Red Frog Beach. We never claimed to be on Red Frog Beach but you can throw a frisbee to the sand. We do not provide air conditioning because this requires massive amounts of electricity. We do provide strong fans above all beds and in the case of this couple we had 3 fans on 1 bed.
I really do not care to refute every claim that this traveller experienced. Most of which is a complete lie. Red Frog Bungalows is not the Kapalua Ritz Carleton. We do not provide pedicures, maincures, or mud baths. We also do not claim to!. We do not sacrifice cleanliness or customer service to be Green and eco-friendly. Our staff at Red Frog Bungalows is professional and experienced and onsite at all times. We have direct communication with police, fire and saftey officials if there is any kind of situation that
may arise. It never has!! However, we are in the jungle. If you do not like to be alone in nature and do not like monkeys, sloths, butterflies, parrots, frogs, and the sound of ocean, I suggest you stay in Panama City.
Red Frog Bungalows provides a safe, clean and unique experience. I built the resort and onsite everyday. I urge all of you that have taken the time to read this response
to call me directly in the United States at (408) 868-4060 and in Panama at 011 507 6626-6734. I will personally answer all of your questions and organize all of your activities. I look forward to showing you around this beautiful part of the world.

Scott Balogh
Red Frog Bungalows
www.redfrogbungalows.com
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2008

My husband and I stumbled on Red Frog Bungalows while surfing the Internet for surfing spots in Panama. As soon as we saw the website we had to go - it was incredibly different from anything else we were seeing in the area and we loved that you basically had the beach to yourself in the morning and the evening.
4 of us made the journey and from our greeting at the airport to our drop-off we had an exceptional time. Be sure and buy any last minute items you may need in Bocas before leaving for the bungalows since there are no stores close at hand. Our hosts Giovanna & Aaron were amazing cooks (best food on 3 week trip), great bartenders and superb tour guides as well. They set us up with a boat driver named Bizzie that took us to a couple of different spots each day for snorkeling and swimming at a reasonable cost and he was incredibly nice, trustworthy & charming. There was no surfing while we were here but hopefully we'll be back because the locals made it sound great. Scott made some wonderful recommendations for sightseeing: Bird Island, Bocas del Drago, Dolphin Bay, Isla Zapatilla, Starfish beach and Polo beach - we did it all +more and were not let down.
The beach in front of the bungalows is beautiful and just off the sand in the jungle keep your eye out for the elusive, yet small Red Frog. There's a local bar on the beach as well with cold drinks and some food.
The bungalows are really beautiful and quite stunning. From Bocas del Toro a boat drops you on the bay side of the island and then local Indians portage your luggage ($1/bag) to the bungalows (about a 1/2 mile walk at most). They're set in the jungle about 50m from the beach in some beautiful gardens. We spent most of our time on the front porch relaxing, playing cards, reading, eating and drinking. The outside shower with warm water is a huge bonus as well. Keep in mind that this is eco-living so there's short showers, need for headlamps to supplement lights at night, etc. We drank rain water or directly from the well without any problems. The location and hospitality are worth the trip.

• Liked — remoteness, food, hospitality, beach to ourselves every morning & evening, jungle
  • Disliked — low lights at night
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank mc2la
saratoga, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2008

Location, Location, Location plus great accomodations !!!
To date I have made two separate trips to Red Frog Beach Bungalows. My wife and I enjoyed absolutely everything including the informative boat ride to the property. Scott did a professional job in streamlining the trip and activities which included fishing. The bungalows are clean solar equipped and the garden is beautiful. We will definitely return.

• Liked — Beach and location
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank threeputt88
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2008

You will love this resort! The Red Frog Bungalows are the only place to stay on Red Frog Beach making our stay feel so unique! Our days were filled with forest and beach walks, surfing the fun beach break out front and touring around the area in a boat with a wonderul local tour guide. The bungalows are beautiful and very comfortable, the food is great and the service exceptional. We can't wait to come back!

• Liked — Location, Decor and Service!
  • Disliked — No complaints!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Bastimentos
Tropical Suites Hotel
Tropical Suites Hotel
#1 of 13 in Bocas Town
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & S...
#1 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos
#3 of 17 in Isla Bastimentos
Bambuda Lodge
Bambuda Lodge
#1 of 2 in Isla Solarte

Been to Red Frog Bungalows? Share your experiences!