“Paradise Found”
Review of Red Frog Bungalows

Red Frog Bungalows
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Finally on my fourth trip to Panama, I found the perfect blend of surf, service and seclusion. Scott and the staff had everything under control, were friendly and professional. Made my wife and I feel like family. Accommodations were unique and comfortable. Food was good and plentiful. The grounds were spectacular. And, the surf was fun and basically uncrowded. Lots to do and see other than surf for non-surfers. I'll be back.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 30, 2014

9 months ago I started planning a surf trip for my nephew and his friend. I tend to plan vacations that take me away from the beaten path, so I wanted to go somewhere other than Costa Rica and Nicaragua. A friend suggested looking into Panama. My Google research pointed me to Bocas, specifically Red Frog Bungalows. I booked a bungalow back in September, and for almost a year, I studied the website, got to know Bocas and dreamed of how this vacation was going to turn out. The time finally arrived, and from Scott picking us up at the airport, Chato shuttling us in the boat and Bobo cooking our first dinner, everything that I had imagined RFB would be was exceeded ten fold. The bungalows are the perfect habitation for a surf resort...chill, relaxed, comfortable, not extravagant, just the right amount of nice. The grounds are amazing with all the vegetation strategically landscaped. The dinning room / rec room has the vibe of a tropical lounge. And what can I say about the staff...Scott and Maiky are perfect as hosts, concierge, surf guide, you name it, Chato runs the boat and is awesome, Bobo the chef...well, let's just say, we ate like kings the whole time, every meal, and everyone else from Bo the guy in charge of the beach activites to the gardener, everyone rocks. We were there to surf (and for me to photograph the guys) and Scott had us out in the water everyday at the perfect break at the perfect time everyday for 7 days. The boys were stoked...no crowds, fun surf, hours in the water. We are already looking forward to our next trip back, maybe to stay ;) Thanks Scott!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We wanted to stay somewhere that was off the grid, close to nature, with lots of activities available. Red Frog Bungalows was all of that and more! We stayed for 5 nights, and absolutely every moment exceeded our expectations!
We stayed in the tentalow, which was amazing! It is right in the jungle, just a short walk away from the beach. We loved falling asleep to the sounds of the jungle, the lovely breeze through the windows at night, and showering outdoors. We saw so much wildlife on the island - sloths, monkeys, dolphins, parrots, hummingbirds, caymans, lizards, crabs, bats, red frogs and spiders!
The food was absolutely amazing!!! Bobo, the chef, made every meal fantastic, and we liked enjoying our meal with the staff and other guests as 'family dinners'. We have been dreaming of Bobo's fish tacos since we left!
Phil and Soyela, the surf instructors/tour guides, took us on adventures, and Soyela gave awesome SUP and surf lessons! They would be willing to take us just about anywhere, and planning was always laid back and stress free. It was fun hanging out in the evenings with them, especially with Soyela's hoop lessons!
Mikey and Scott (owner) were very kind and helpful and always available if we needed anything. We got married on the beach and it was absolutely perfect. Scott was kind enough to take our wedding photos, and Phil and Soyela also attended, which meant so much to us. Mikey made my bouquet with the flowers on the island, and even found some gorgeous flowers for my hair. It was the perfect day and we are so grateful for these memories and for meeting such wonderful people. If anyone wants a private or very small wedding, an escape to paradise, or a surf/SUP/yoga getaway, we would highly recommend Red Frog Bungalows!

Room Tip: The tentalow was private and secluded. It is also on a raised platform with screened windows, so we...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I just got back from this place and I must say that it far exceeded my expectations. I have stayed in very remote all-inclusive places in Fiji , Tonga, Indonesia , etc....but Red Frog offers what these places do at a much more affordable and closer to home price. The host, Scott truly knows the meaning of customer service. Whether you are a surfer (which the waves are epic!!), snorkeler, angler , or just want to sip Pina Coladas and lay on the crystal white sand and gaze out into the emerald blue-green waves (84 degree water temp) . This is the place for you. I spent 5 days there and I feel two weeks worth of "rested" :)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa C
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I had the best time at Red Frog Bungalows! Such a beautiful piece of paradise. Everyone there is super nice and helpful. Not to mention their chef cooks amazing food every day! Scott and the surf guides were helping us to get the best waves possible and awesome to hang out with as Well. If you are in Panama you need to stay here to truly experience the best vacation or surf trip possible.
-Bryant Thomas

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Myself and my wife spent five nights at RFB and we didn't quite know what to expect before we arrived. What we found was a beach paradise that exceeded all of our expectations.

Scott, who runs the place, is a really good guy and totally focussed on making your stay a success. He has built an eco resort in landscaped tropical gardens with the perfect mix between comfort and relaxation where you instantly feel welcome and at home. There are two other bars on Red Frog Beach to get cold beers and cocktails (and Wi-Fi) and plenty of action in the waves, especially as surf lessons are available. There is so much to do in the Bocas that you will never be bored and Scott will help you organise whatever you want. Between us we had surf lessons, went snorkelling, paddle boarding, tuna fishing and visited the incredible Zaptilla islands on a boat trip that included swimming with Dolphins. Of course, we found plenty of time to laze on the beach where RFB customers get the benefit of loungers and umbrellas and you can keep hydrated by drinking fresh coconut water for $1 a coconut.

I could go on, but that would spoil the surprise. The beauty of this place is incredible and the laid back atmosphere will help you truly unwind whilst having a great time along the way.

Just the medicine and we can't wait to go back.

Scott and Claire

Room Tip: We stayed in the tentalow, which keeps cool at night because it is a safari tent erected under a cor...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2014

My boyfriend and I spent a few nights at Red Frog Bungalows. We spent about 5 or 6 nights on Colon and we really wish we had done the opposite. Red Frog, along with owner and staff are a league above anything in the area. It has everything to offer, remote and beautiful yet connected to anything that you need or want. It sounds to good to be true, but it's not. Scott, who is a surfer himself, knows exactly how to cater to the most avid surfer and get the best wave at any day and time, but also seamlessly accommodates anyone who wants fishing, snorkeling, swimming, hikers, really anything. The staff is friendly, the food is amazing, and they do a great job at everything, including having a fun time. Both Rusty and I can't wait to go back :)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel Palma Royale
Hotel Palma Royale
#3 of 13 in Bocas Town
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & S...
#1 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos
#5 of 18 in Isla Bastimentos
Eclypse de Mar
Eclypse de Mar
#3 of 18 in Isla Bastimentos

Been to Red Frog Bungalows? Share your experiences!