“Red Frog Bungalows Experience Top Notch”
Review of Red Frog Bungalows

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Bastimentos
Red Frog Bungalows
Encinitas, California
“Red Frog Bungalows Experience Top Notch”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

My boyfriend and I spent a few nights at Red Frog Bungalows. We spent about 5 or 6 nights on Colon and we really wish we had done the opposite. Red Frog, along with owner and staff are a league above anything in the area. It has everything to offer, remote and beautiful yet connected to anything that you need or want. It sounds to good to be true, but it's not. Scott, who is a surfer himself, knows exactly how to cater to the most avid surfer and get the best wave at any day and time, but also seamlessly accommodates anyone who wants fishing, snorkeling, swimming, hikers, really anything. The staff is friendly, the food is amazing, and they do a great job at everything, including having a fun time. Both Rusty and I can't wait to go back :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ElisePurcell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Two colleagues and I stayed at Red Frog Bungalows after an intense week of meetings in Panama City. We didn't have a clear sense of what to expect but were looking forward to some time to decompress and see a bit of Panama, since it's unlikely that any of us will ever be back here again. Before arriving, I had lots of plans for what I wanted to do during my stay. However, I found that when I was actually there, I so much enjoyed the opportunity to relax that I quickly settled into a routine of being out and about in the mornings and then spending the afternoons quietly reading and enjoying the amazing insect and bird sounds with the constant roar of the ocean in the background. (Loved falling asleep to these sounds at night as well.) On two of the mornings we did stand-up paddleboarding lessons, which were great fun (on the second day we saw a dolphin very near by - what a fantastic treat!), and another morning we took a long walk exploring the amazingly beautiful beaches in the area. Definitely a great experience and I feel very lucky to have had the chance to see this lovely corner of the world - and to break out of the airconditioned hotel world into a totally different experience.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Voyageur613
San Diego, California
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My friends and I went down to Bocas Del Toro for a week to find some uncrowded surf and warm weather. From the minute we got off the plane Scott along with his staff was waiting for us at the airport with a smile. We knew we were in good hands right away. After the short taxi ride to the harbor where we got to the boat it was all good vibes! Some of our crew had stayed there before and were telling me stories about it. The walk in to the Red Frog Grounds was clean and a little bit of an adventure daily. We saw Sloths, different types of birds, and there's a small pond with small alligators. The food was exceptional and Scott had us in great waves the entire time. Beachbreaks to big wave Reefs. When we weren't surfing we spent the afternoons on the ping pong and pool table. I have travelled all over the world and am already looking at going back to Panama and the Red Frog Bungalows!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed March 19, 2014

My wife and I recently spent 4 nights with Scott and his awesome staff at Red Frog Bungalows. We rented one of the bungalows and loved it. The grounds were meticulously maintained. Not a leaf left on the ground. The bed was comfortable and we loved hearing all the jungle life. Scott and his staff went out of their way to provide surf trips catered/tailored to our surfing abilities which which were far behind the rest of the guests. Every meal was delicious and fueled our very active days. Its also very cool that Scott supports the local economy by employing only locals! We look forward to coming back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed February 23, 2014

If you are looking for a unique surf destination within close proximity to the USA look no further than RFB/BDT. Having traveled the world surfing, such as Tavarua, Fiji, I can honestly state that the setting and surf were exceptional, and only a short 3 hour Miami to Panama City excursion from my home state of Florida.

Specific to the RFB, the owner Scott, is a consummate surf guide whom expertly delivers guests to the very best surf, and commonly no others out in the break save our 4 member group. The short to mid-period swells generated by the Caribbean Sea kept the surf pumping all the time, unlike many long period south Pacific destinations. Where can one seek short distance travel and expect empty, perfect surf with you and your friends?

Being that these surf spots were remote and frequently requiring 45 minute, or longer, boat rides, one starts to understand the valuation of the per-person cost / day. Certainly there are much lower cost options on the mainland of BDT with access to water taxis et al, however this formula will not often deliver one to the best surf.

In addition to being exceedingly friendly and committed 100% to the guests satisfaction, Scott is a dedicated surf photographer and was able to get the best surf photo of my life riding one of the largest waves ever at Silverbacks; bring a flash-drive to download your pics!

Having read the prior reviews, I can identify the comments as accurate relative to our experience and will not otherwise detail them, however would temper any negative comments relative to one's perspective and expectations. I wrote a detailed review earlier on TripAdvisor, however mistakingly posted under the wrong facility of similar name and wanted to favorably detail our experience at RFB. Weeks later after returning home, the afterglow of a truly epic surf adventure continues and undoubtably will last a lifetime of memories.....worth every penny and then some! I will be back time and again!

Room Tip: Tentalow for two; bungalow for up to four (but loft was dicy with no bannister surrounding the beds...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank SilverBack58
Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Loved, loved staying here: the staff, food, owners, the surf guides, and accommodations are truly great and exactly as advertised. We stayed in a tentalow rather than a bungalow and, as there was more natural light in the daytime compared to the bungalows, preferred this. Couple things to consider packing include more bug spray than you think you need (as the sand flies at dusk on the beach are ruthless and itch horribly after they bite), a computer memory stick in case you're lucky enough to have one of the local surf photographers take your photo and you want to download your pics from his/ her laptop, and music cd's for dinner music (as the owner's young local girlfriend is the food server and she puts on her own 20-year -old-something reggae meets rap music and it feels club-like). Please know there is no clothes washer/dryer -- they operate on a generator. Bring enough clothes to get you through.

We had to ask for a change of bath towels after a couple of days as well as a couple extra chairs so we could all sit and relax after a hard day. (The tentalow only had one chair.) The only comment I could possibly make is that there weren't enough hand towels and we would have preferred one per person instead of having to share.

Awesome place, all in all!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Barbie C
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 13, 2014

This trip was awessum! We traveled as a couple and stayed 2 nights in the bungalow and 4 nights in the tentalow. If you're traveling as a couple I would recommend the tentalow as it's smaller and a little nicer in my opinion. We got used to the jungle noises and by the end of the trip, they would soothe us right to sleep. Regarding the food, I never stay at all-inclusive resorts but in this case it was definitely the way to go because you get delicious local cuisine every day.
I will say that Red Frog is not the place if you want to lay by the pool being served pina coladas; there's not a lot of fluff and amenities. However, this is the place to stay if you are easy going, looking to experience the best of the islands and seeking adventure on your vacation. We were looking to surf (longboard), swim, snorkel, hike and enjoy the natural beauty of Panama and with Scott (the owner) that is exactly what we got. You just need to tell Scott what you want to do and he will work to make it happen. Thanks to Scott and his crew for making this a once in a lifetime trip for us!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Bastimentos
Tropical Suites Hotel
Tropical Suites Hotel
#1 of 13 in Bocas Town
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & S...
#1 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos
#3 of 16 in Isla Bastimentos
Bambuda Lodge
Bambuda Lodge
#1 of 2 in Isla Solarte

Been to Red Frog Bungalows? Share your experiences!