“thoughts on recent visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Red Frog Bungalows

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Bastimentos
Red Frog Bungalows
pennsylvania
“thoughts on recent visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

The site is very nice with lots of local plantings and big trees. The food is tasty - some of the best prepared fish/seafood I had in Panama. The meals are set, so I am not sure what you would do if you didn't wish to eat what you were served (not a problem for us). The owner is very interesting and obviously cares about the place, and especially is passionate about surfing. I revisited the website after visiting, and I don't think it is entirely representative. I stayed in a bungalow, but now would choose the tent as the latter was spacious and lighter; the bungalows were very dark inside and did not have good lighting. I did not get that impression from the website pictures. The solidly constructed structure is made from very dark wood and the roof overhang comes down low;although the website says there are large windows for proper ventilation, only some have screens so one tends to close them to keep out critters and insects. Having said that, I didn't think there were a lot of insects when I was there, but there were some critters around on the roof and in the area. If you want to read in bed, make sure you bring a light; also bring a flashlight for going up the steps and moving around. The bed was comfortable. There was some wafting of unpleasant odour from the toilet. The outside shower was nice, although a lot of water seemed to be "wasted" waiting for the hot water to run. The tent had a nice surrounding platform and shower and bathroom .The website indicated the cantina had nightly movies and a hot tub - I never wanted these, but there was no evidence of their availability when I was there. (The tub was empty) Also, the power went off by 9 pm, so you couldn't sit there and read or play games. The one night I was there by myself reading when the power turned off, there was no offer of turning the generator back on - I don't know if this might depend on the numbers of people using the cantina. I agree that it wouldn't make sense to run a generator for just one person - but it made the cantina less hospitable. As far as I could tell, there were no towels offered for use on the beach, just a single bath towel and hand towel per person in the bungalow. So some people might want to bring their own towel here. The beach was lovely with many beautiful waves (not a quiet swimming beach and there are signs everywhere for rip tides) and even at its most "crowded" I thought it much less so than many beaches elsewhere. The sitting areas on the beach were very pleasant. I enjoyed this beach more than I had originally anticipated. A short walk down the beach is a bar/restaurant with WIFI, and there is another little bar/restaurant and a tenting area adjacent to where Red Frog Bungalows path comes out on to the beach. At this time, Red Frog Bungalows is not directly adjacent to the beach - you walk down a short path to reach the beach. Anton was available to lead walks, but I chose to linger on the beach instead.

Room Tip: I would advise choosing the tent instead of a bungalow unless you have too many people traveling tog...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank jilleastfallowfield

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

Red Frog Bungalows was beyond any idea crafted in my head of what this place would be like. Scott, Mikey, Bobo and crew were such a wonderful, friendly, welcoming crew that are happy to share their piece of paradise with you; wether traveling solo, as a couple or in a group.

For any surf explorers out there, Scott is the expert master seeking out the best conditions for your ability. He wakes up each morning wanting to provide the best possible experience for his guests. His extensive knowledge of every nook and cranny of the islands makes it a no-brainer wonderful escape into the best that Panama has to offer. From surfing, to strolling, to local eateries, fine dining and zip lining, Red Frog Bungalows is a great spot to experience it all.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
new jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

The jungle setting is beautifully landscaped as are the beaches. The bungalows are very very dark and the screened windows few. There was a distinct smell of septic wafting in our sleeping area - owner shrugged and said it was the composting toilets. Mosquito netting okay except pushed into space and face when ran the fan. Beautful tiled outdoor shower with intermittent hot water.

Beach lovely but relatively crowded. We were told not leave our things unattended, which hampered swimming with a buddy.

We were told not to hike even locally without a quide due to robbery risk. We felt stuck.

There were no posted excursions and with owner away, could not make any plans.

THe owner, is very knowledgeable and affable. This is a great place for the right audience, but not for us and was impossible to discern its actual conditions from the website.

Room Tip: Tent with working attached bathroom actually best.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cimprichr
uluman, Owner at Red Frog Bungalows, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Red Frog Bungalows is a small eco-oriented resort that caters to the personal wants and needs of our guests. I appreciate the feedback and we are constantly looking to improve our guests experience. I personally book all of our reservations because I want to make sure it is the right fit for everyone. We specialize in customer service and personalized tours and activities. We have our own boats and guides to make sure every part of your vacation is top shelf!
I never shrug at any of the issues that arise at my resort. I am an owner/operator and take an amazing amount of pride at the services we provide. From the staff, to the food, to the small details that make your experience memorable.

I want to address only the major issues below.
One is the smell of septic. This smell came from a vent that was accidentally left open when we were doing our monthly rounds. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and it was fixed before you left the property.
Second is the issue of theft. There has been theft before in Bocas Del Toro. Petty theft. I am sure this is comes to nobody's no surprise to any of you that have traveled anywhere in the world. I have a guide that does all of our hikes to assure that you have a wonderful experience. He points out animals, knocks down coconuts to keep you hydrated, watches you gear when you jump in crystal clear Caribbean water and makes sure you dont get lost. I provide this guide free of charge to all of our guests!!! Red Frog Beach is the safest beach in Panama. We have beachfront sun chairs under a natural thatch palapas and a gentleman that is on the beach to help you with any questions or problems. All of the belongings are safe. We have never had anything stolen because we take certain precautions. I am very sorry that this group felt trapped because I was up front and told them why we have a local guide. Everyone else over the last 5 years thinks this is an amazing service that we provide free of charge.
The last point is the tours we offer. There is a booklet which states all of the tours we offer. We also have photos in our restaurant of all the activities. We like to talk about tours the night before over dinner. We are very knowledgeable about local weather conditions which is vital to choosing the right tour on the right day. We will not take you snorkeling in 15 foot waves! But we will take you surfing in 15 foot waves.

The demographics for the resort is families and couples ranging from age 18-55. This group was well into their 60's and I take the ultimate blame for booking the reservation. They were not the right fit for our resort. They also wrote the review "Thoughts on our visit" if you had any doubt...Once again I appreciate all of the feedback and this will help us in the future to become better at what we do best......... Create an amazing experience for everyone that steps through our doors!! Thank you
Nicaragua, Panama, El Salvador, Indonesia, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

Amazing jungle lodging and courteous attentive staff. The quiet, peaceful setting is out of a tropical dream. Owner Scott has innate knowledge of the area's many islands and the best times/ conditions to enjoy the excellent surfing, fishing, snorkeling, exploring, etc- that will be the difference that will make this trip probably one of the best of your life.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

If you like isolated settings, some local adventure, amazing waves, and want to be comfortable and well serviced at the same time, then the Red Frog Bungalows is the place to stay in Bocas Del Toro. Located on a separate island away from the tourists and main population, you will feel like you have completely removed yourself from the everyday common lifestyle, but in reality you are only 15 minutes by boat to the main town and airport so everything is easily accessible and will facilitate everyone's general needs. High season or low season I would not pass up the opportunity to stay with the crew at Red Frog Bungalows, and I am already looking forward to my return!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Red Frog Bungalows were an amazing wonderful experience for our family over the Christmas/New Years Holiday! Situated on Isla Bastimentos, Panama in Bocas del Toro (Caribbean). The bungalows are beautifully crafted and surrounded by a lush carefully landscaped jungle, only a minute walk to the best beach in Bocas del Toro.

Scott took great care of us, even before we got there. He helped us with our itinerary before and after Red Frog Bungalows, so our entire Panama trip was well planned, enjoyable and uniquely suited to our family's desires. Scott saved us more than once! He is a wealth of local info, and always available to help plan what you want to do today.

All of the crew at Red Frog Bungalows know what they're doing and totally reliable. The guides took us hiking, snorkeling, boating, surfing, snorkeling. Bobo cooked delicious meals every day.

We had lazy days at a beautiful sunny beach building sandcastles napping in hammocks, and great surfing / adrenaline pumping days Rope Walking-ZipLining. Whatever you and your group were in the mood for could be had.

We *highly* recommend Red Frog Bungalows as your next vacation destination!

The Barbers

Room Tip: Do bring flashlights as it gets really dark there at night
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Encinitas, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

For what its worth I have travelled all over the world on surf trips, a lot of Mexico and Central America. Over the years I have become more and more critical of places and picky with what I am looking for. I was looking for a place that I could go score waves and not be gone all day looking for the best option just to come back to a pissed off girlfirend cause you stayed out too long waiting for it to get good or you were on a mission trying to find the best wave in the area. At red frog these boys have their operation dialed! Wethere you are on a boys trip looking to score waves and surf your nuts off all day or on a romance trip with your chick and frothing for surf, Scott and Red Frog Bungalows has everything you are going to need/want and more. Scott and his Glass is Half full mentality is uber contagious and makes for some serious bro-down sessions and garuntees fun. I happened to be there when the surf was perfect and playful head to a couple feet over head every day but i am sure if the surf didnt cooperate as much I still would have had a blast. My gf loved the place and fealt super secure and comfortable even after leaving her for 4-5 hours a day for surf, casue she could just chill, read her books, have a few drinks and feel like she is being waited on hand and foot by the staff. Trust me the answer is always Yes when you ask for something or to do something. She likes that. We kept saying to eachother that this place was the perfect blend of adventure and luxury. Didnt have to think about what we were going to eat or what we were going to do with our day and on vacation that is all you really want, to not have to think. AS i told people when I got back to SD, "I dont think i could ever go to Bocas and not stay with Scott." We loved our stay and I am currently trying to figure out how to get back there. Scott, What do you think of my bachelor party boys trip Dec 2014?? Yeeewwwww psyching!!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Bastimentos
Tropical Suites Hotel
Tropical Suites Hotel
#1 of 13 in Bocas Town
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & S...
#1 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos
#3 of 19 in Isla Bastimentos
Bambuda Lodge
Bambuda Lodge
#1 of 2 in Isla Solarte

Been to Red Frog Bungalows? Share your experiences!