“Nice place but very poor service”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Bastimentos
Beverly's Hill Guest House
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Nice place but very poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2011

The houses, the rooms and even the garden with his red frogs was very nice. But when we staid there, the owners where not at home and there was a guy who where not really interestet in his guests. When we arrived, it was ok. We checked in the most expensive room with private bath. Because there was a blackout, we did not have water. After the electicity came back, the guy explained us, that there will still be no water,because he had to fill the tank. But this evening he does not want to fill the tank. So we had to go thrugh the garden to the other toilet. We asked him two times for a little tank of water, for flushing the toilet. he promised, but forgot it. He prfefered hang around.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2011

This charming hostel is set up the hill overlooking the picturesque Bastimentos bay .
There are some lovely views from the communal sitting areas & from where our
delightful ensuite was located .
The birds at dawn & dusk were quite a trip .
Simon & Sandra the owners were super with their advice & general help .
Sandra`s fish plate on our last night was terrific .
Even though the weather wasn`t up to much we had suich a chilled time with no bugs or smells or inconvenience at all.
A big thanks to them ,lets not forget Naomi , Berta & Reno too .
Would love to get back there one day .

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2010

Following the Lonely Planet, we found the beautiful accomodation of Beverly¨s Hill in Bocas del Toro. Instead of staying on the main Island which is busier and more touristy, we wound up on the laidback Isla Bastimentos. No cars, no roads, no hassle, just true Caribbean relaxation. We arrived after a long trip on the night bus and were quite tired. We were served a nice breakfast, no questions asked... Great hospitality.
The cabiña we had overlooks the garden and has an ocean view. Relaxing, reading a book in the hammock on the balcony with such a backdrop is brilliant.
The owners Simon and Sandra and their daughter Nahomy are very friendly and made us feel really welcome. We wound up staying twice as long as we expected!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jasper_Simons
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

I was recommended this place from Sergei at Mondo Taitu & what a great find it was .
A sweet little palm thatch cabina , (online in the hammack )all at slightly more than dormitory price, with the comfiest mattress too.
Little red frogs , cats , a bruiser of a guarddog, exotic birds ,hummingbirds especially make this place a nature lesson in itself.
My cabin was different to the others , seperated into 2 with a funky bathroom set in the garden .
I've got to say thanks to Sandra & Simon & Reno for making this a memorable 5 days ,the home cooking one of the highlights of this trip .
Reno accompanied me to Wizard beach one afternoon , what a great big loveable dog he is !
Maro is their boatman for tours ,but to make it economical there needs to be 4 people ,i was liucky to meet 3 other guests from France in one of the back cabinas.
Overall with the sea views & tropical garden too , this is a hellava place to chill & recharge your batteries.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank twilbury87
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2010

I was quite happy with my single room; it was basic but clean and well tended, with useful details like hooks, a fan, and shelves. The mosquito net, however, was inadequate (didn't fit bed) and the room is not sealed, but didn't wake up with too many bites. The couple who own it were very kind and helpful. One problem, however, was that one morning we ordered breakfast the previous night for 8:00 am the next morning; by 8:40 and several attempts to get something going, and promises it would be happening soon, the wife was still sleeping and we had to leave or miss our tour. Also, it should be noted there is a steep set of stairs to get to the place and no offers of assistance to help you get your bag up or down them, in case that would be an issue for some people. The husband allowed use of his laptop computer for $2/hour, to be used wherever you liked on the property. There was a nice communal area with hammocks and tables. There is a huge dog who sleeps all day and is allowed to roam all night; he didn't bother anyone, but I was told not to go near him if carrying a cat (there are several friendly ones around) because he kills them and would attack me if I were carrying one. That was a bit frightening. One morning a cat somehow "landed" on my bed, having come from the rafters or something. I was missing my own cats, so definitely not a problem, but she was so lucky that she landed on a cat-lovers bed and not someone who may have flipped out. You are sleeping IN the jungle, and if there are other guests, you'll hear them as well (the cabins are divided into two separate rooms) as all the regular jungle noises, but I was very happy to hear the "night music" (and some roosters in the morning) and there were only a few other guests, so it was fine. Also, I saw red poison dart frogs on the steps outside my door on several occasions, which was awesome. The bathrooms are shared, but there are several assigned to various cabins, so they are close and I never had to wait to use one. The town itself is extremely quiet and I found it difficult to find tour options - go to Tio Tom's to see what they are organizing, since it's more popular. I wasn't able to visit the indigenous village on the other side of the island because boats were too expensive ($80) and no tours were organized. Finding food is also an issue as there are only a few restaurants and they seemed to be often closed whenever I needed food and to have no vegetarian options beyond rice and beans.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank mexicanmadeline
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

I went back to Isla Bastimentos in June and decided to stay at Beverly’s Hill again. I looked at some other options and for me, it was the best choice – what you get for your money, the quick/easy access from bocas and the overall vibe of the place are what I like best. Simon, who runs the place with his wife, soundproofed the room with the killer view since my last visit which made it even better (be sure to ask if that room is available for any of your nights). Not much else changed, still lots of red frogs (saw more than we did at Red Frog Beach), still inexpensive, still super chill. You too will keep asking yourself why someone would pay more to stay anywhere else on the island, that's how awesome this place is. Beverly’s Hill is also great for couples and families, I met a few there and just hung out on the patio for hours enjoying the awesome setting and a home-cooked meal. unless you can afford to spend hundreds a night to stay at one of the eco-lodges, just save your money and stay here. In my opinion, it's a much better option anyway. When you get off at the dock at Old Bank (5 minutes and a few bucks from Bocas by water taxi), it’s a few minutes walk up the “road”. Be sure to strike up a conversation with Simon and his wife Sandra, you will be glad you did, they are super cool people.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2010

This is a very cool place - little wooden cabins with thatched rooves and hammocks set in an atmospheric hillside garden full of wildlife including lots of hummingbirds and the famous Red Frogs, not to mention the resident dog, cats and chickens. Ideally situated on the main street (actually the only street) on the island, it is a great place to enjoy the relaxed pace of life on Bastimentos. The owners are really nice and will cook dinner if arranged in advance. There are also quite a few restaurants nearby. There is free wireless and mosquito nets are provided in the rooms.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Bambuda Lodge
Bambuda Lodge
#1 of 2 in Isla Solarte
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & Spa
Red Frog Beach Island Resort & S...
#1 of 3 in Isla Bastimentos
Bubba's House
Bubba's House
#4 of 19 in Isla Bastimentos
La Loma Jungle Lodge and Chocolate Farm
La Loma Jungle Lodge and Chocola...
#2 of 17 in Isla Bastimentos

Been to Beverly's Hill Guest House? Share your experiences!