“Good friendly service at hotel Olas”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Olas

Hotel Olas
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Bocas Town
new york
“Good friendly service at hotel Olas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2009

It’s never been my nature to write a review about a hotel, but this time I was so impressed with the changes at the Olas hotel that I decided to write this review.
This is not the first time I have stayed at this hotel. First time I stayed there was about a year ago, because the price was relatively cheap and the hotel was really nice. However ,I do remember that the service wasn’t so good. On my second trip I went with my boyfriend in April 2009. We came back to the Olas hotel, since I have already known the hotel and its value for money was still the best around.
Upon my arrival I was greeted by the new manager, he was very helpful and friendly, the staff paid much more attention to me this time, and overall the service in the hotel and the restaurant was really good. As I remembered from my last visit there, the rooms are great and very clean. The view of the bay and marina is great, and their famous breakfast is awesome.
Now it is all complemented by new friendly management and good friendly service.
I was very pleased with my service and impressed with the changes.
There is no doubt in my mind that if I will come back to Bocas i will stay at the olas again. I need this kind of pampering.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shelly100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
leroybrown_og
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2009

I don't know what people are writing about in their previous reviews but I just got back a few weeks ago and wanted to post about what an exceptional time I had here. I guess the management changed or something because I found management to be friendly and helpful. No trace of the rude couple previously described. Could have been a brief bad run prior to the management change, I don't know. The room was clean and everything couldn't have gone any better. I didn't have any problems checking in or with the room...I guess people don't write enough about the good times they have but almost immediately write about the bad times. I'd say the previous reviews of the hotel are a bit harsh. Looking forward to what other's think too. I'm definitely coming back.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank leroybrown_og
Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2009

Don't know why my previous review is no longer here. In a nutshell, we had the same exact problems as most other people's reviews. Horrible staff, rude and apathic. We made reservations and paid in advance just to find out it's meaningless to them. The staff girl had no clue. First time they told us we didn't have a reservation, but my wife had their email confirming it. They got us a room. When we came back 2 days later for our next reservation which was fully paid, this time there was no rooms at all. I almost threw all the chairs and tables into the water, but my wife calmed me down. And like everyone else, we had to stay at Dos Palmas next door. Again, it's a shame because the place is beautiful and had one of the best breakfast in the island (if you can get someone to wait on you, that is) And yes, we met the indiferent jewish or hebrew owner, smoking a cigarrete like he didn't care. Why the hostility towards most tourist is beyond me. My guess is they just take whoever shows up with cash and ignore all the reservations.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank love2travel033

Travelers are raving about these Bocas Town hotels

sonoma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2009

If you like to wake up every morning greeted by the most miserable people in the world, than this is the place for you. To get anyone to even acknowledge you, let alone say hello to you, or smile was impossible.I am not one to go by what other reviews have to say. I prefer to make my own opinion, but I wish I would have this time. These people do not even realize how good they have it. A beautiful hotel on a beautiful island and they do not even try to sell it while you are there. If you hate Americans whatever the least you should do is be fake and try to keep me there and take my money, that is business, but they chased away everybody from every country. Then to top it all off you get to watch the owners wife smoke cigarettes while being at least 8 months pregnant.

• Liked — good views
  • Disliked — The hospitality
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank cooterSonoma
Costa Rica
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2009

Well, I must say that my wife and I never stayed at the hotel, because after I made my first contact in early Dec 2008 and made my booking finally on Dec 27th by sending the money via Western Union, when we came in the owners never found our reservation!!! When I booked our stay, I made an international call to directly speak to someone at the hotel and confirm the money transfer, since my mails took up to 3 days to be replied, so I didn't want to take any risks and just let them know about it. I spoke with a jewish-accent guy who took my money transfer reference number at WU, my name and the dates of the reservation. He stated that there was nothing else I needed, just to get there on the plnned date.

We did so and after standing at the reception for around 15 minutes, one of the owners was looking for my name on tons of paper sheets, calling the other owner, who was very relaxed reading a newspaper and drinking a tea or coffee, without worrying about the issue we had.

Finally, they ended up saying that there was no reservation under my name and they didn't have any available room. The only option they offered to us was helping us get another hotel for us to stay in. I requested the money back and thanks god we got it, including the WU fee, so we were lucky, since reading other reviews I noticed that others didn't even get the money back.

After this fiasco, we had to go under the rain, at 6 pm local time, to look for an empty room on any other hotel... Thanks to them, this was the begining of our honeymoon...

The moral lesson: NEVER never never think about this "hotel" as an option for your vacations

Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank crguy
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2009

A friend and I stayed there for one night at the end of our week-lond stay in Panama. We had had an incredible experience up to that point (I HIGHLY recommend Al Natural!!) but then we checked into Hotel Olas. When we arrived, the downstairs hallway reeked of urine. We asked for an upstairs room because of the smell and safety concerns but were told nothing was available. So we checked in, showered, and had a beer on the deck which was nice. We went to dinner and when we returned about 2 hours later, our room had been broken into! We called for security and asked them to call the police. He came in and looked at us and said "Calm down!". We had to call the police ourselves and then go through our things to see what had been stolen. The owner sauntered in about 5 minutes later smoking a cigarette and just said "Hey, I lose in this too." He went on to say that break-ins are fairly common there. I asked why they hadn't informed us of this during check-in and he just shrugged and said "What are we supposed to do? Tell you people break in and steal and to take your important belongings?" and I was like "YES!!!!!". The police showed up and said that they knew who it was because his shirt had been ripped off when he jumped back out of the window and they recognized it from when they let him out of jail that day! Good God! We then had to go to the police station for an hour to fill out the report and when we returned the owner agreed to take us to another hotel for the evening and pay for it. So he drove us to a dive hotel in his pimped-out SUV and as he was leaving said that I was rude!! That place is horrible - do yourself and your belongings a favor and DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Disliked — Crime and the staff
  • Stayed November 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank kmarstal
Seattle Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2008

Although they are on the water and beautiful out the restaurant, and the building is wood and has a lot of potential; the people working here RUIN THE ExPERIENcE here!!! Prices that they were demanding for staying (even if more than one night) were double what is quoted here on this website. We did not find this out until after we already had a room. Our room was in the back with no view except windows that opened on to the building next door. So I can't imagine what they charge for view rooms. In addition the staff have been incredible haughty and rude the entire time we've been here. We are two doctors who are married and own a clinic together - so hardly the backpacking young crowd - although we are travelling with backpacks. I speak fluent Spanish. However given all of this with any question or request we've communicated they have acted completely as if we are putting them out and literally look down their noses at us. I've travelled the world throughout my life and by far this is one of the very worst hotels for numerous reasons that I've ever been! DON"T GO HERE!

Stayed December 2008, traveled with family